Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Vagifem....symptoms worse  (Read 5749 times)

Mrs Bennet

Vagifem....symptoms worse
« on: February 20, 2019, 09:13:48 AM »

Morning ladies.....more advice needed 🙄......could Vagifem make my uti type symptoms worse?.....have now got  latest urine culture back and all is clear however symptoms are quite bad....ie pressure feeling in lower abdomen urge to pee burning bits 😳....have tried using yes moisturiser between Vagifem doses but that stings......not got doctor appointment until next week....any advice gratefully recieved xx

Joaniepat

Re: Vagifem....symptoms worse
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 11:00:52 AM »

Morning ladies.....more advice needed 🙄......could Vagifem make my uti type symptoms worse?.....have now got  latest urine culture back and all is clear however symptoms are quite bad....ie pressure feeling in lower abdomen urge to pee burning bits 😳....have tried using yes moisturiser between Vagifem doses but that stings......not got doctor appointment until next week....any advice gratefully recieved xx

Not heard of Vagifem making UTI symptoms worse, it's supposed to make us feel better!! Could you increase the dose for a while to see if that helps? It is such a tiny dose in each pessary, not really enough for a lot of people at 2 per week. The other option you could try is the Estring, I have found this works well for urinary symptoms and avoids any irritation from the fillers found in other products.

As to the Yes moisturiser, I have heard of the water-based ones stinging a bit. Personally I prefer an oil-based moisturiser such as Yes OB or Olive & Bee. The latter is very mild and only contains beeswax and olive oil. However, I do use Yes VM, the one in the single application vials, every 3rd night with no problem. Anyway, it's good news that your urine sample came back clear. I'm sure you'll feel better once you find the right regime.

JP x

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 11:48:03 AM »

Thank you JP......yes have googled the subject to death 😳......and can only find a few women who have had adverse effects to the vagifem....i am a bit of a light weight  when it comes to medications i seem
to get reactions to most things .....I don't weigh that much and think this one size fits all is a bit of a gamble......whenever i have been in hospital i am only allowed 1 paracetamol 😳🤣.....as must come into the under 12 bracket......no hope 🤣🤣  hopefully the doctor will come up with something next week .....just feel so uncomfortable xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 12:21:17 PM »

Maybe the filler or coating is aggravating the vaginal area.  So swap to Ovestin which is delivered via a tube with a pusher.  Works for me.  You will need to use it for 2 weeks .......

Make sure too that the whole area is kept moist.  Some ladies find 'yes' or 'sylc' products as well as VA treatment and when my bladder is irritated I take Nurofen 3 times a day for 3 days. 

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 02:05:25 PM »

You might find this article from the Guardian interesting. It was posted on the VA Facebook page today. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/feb/20/in-pain-all-the-time-will-there-ever-be-relief-for-women-with-chronic-life-changing-utis?fbclid=IwAR3jhGcJBsdkFeD_lWbLeQebIMFKGzqZQAYGt0grFps4hoddI49VYx7ER_Y

I have ordered the Olive & bee to try this week. I have tried the yes moisturiser. It didn't sting but I am not sure whether it makes much difference. Have you tried dissolving a small teaspoon of bicarb of soda in water and drinking it? That helped last time I had cystitis symptoms and relieved the burning/frequent need to go to the loo.
My Olive & Bee has just arrived in the post so I will try it out later.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:36:41 PM by Katejo »

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 06:27:30 PM »

Thank you all so much 🤗.......birdy i will suggest to the doctor that i change to a cream when i see her next week.....good to know i am not alone in having a reaction.....i mean that in the  best sense.....maybe the olive and bee would suit me better katejo let me know how you get on with it.....and i will read the guardian article thank you.....have taken some pain relief today clkd just think Vagifem may not be for me xx

suzysunday

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 09:24:39 PM »

So sorry you are not getting better Mrs Bennett.  I am up and down myself with weeing.  The guardian article is interesting and depressing. How do you know if you have a uti that is not being identified or if it is VA mimicking the symptoms.  I am so confused about it. I use Ovestin and still struggling.

suzysunday

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 09:26:15 PM »

Also I use boots own brand vaginal moisturizer with no stinging problems.

suzysunday

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 09:58:00 PM »

Wouldn't you get some pain with a uti like mrs Bennett describes?  Do gum clinics inform your gp?

suzysunday

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »

Mrs Bennett, hope I am not taking your thread over, but we are having similar problems and it's driving us crazy.  Hope you can get some help from your gp.  Maybe try the boots stuff if yes is stinging.  All the best to you as these are miserable times.

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 07:39:31 AM »

Sounds pretty lame but I don't think i have the confidence to go to the Gum clinic Birdy 😳.....you are so right about feeing of confusion Suzysunday wish i could stop with the googling.......thinking constipation could be playing a part now 😳😩....i will try the boots moisturiser and see if that helps.....I didn't dose with Vagifem last night to see if i feel any different......had a read of the Guardian article was interesting but didn't really offer up any real answers for me 😔......just see what today bring i guess.....still got another 6 days before my dr appointment.....starting to feel pretty down now which really isn't me xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 08:00:04 AM »

I haven't read the article.  It is known that deep seated infections can take a hold which is why someone with repeated infections: where samples have been tested in a Lab., should be sent to the appropriate Consultant at a Hospital. 

VA does mimic infections really well.  But we shouldn't put everything down to menopause.

Did U take pain relief MrsB? 

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 08:17:31 AM »

Yep took the pain relief last evening.....did sleep a tad better but put that down to feeling so knackered from being awake the night before 🤪 xx

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 09:05:35 AM »

Ok Birdy will have a think about it 😳🤣  but i am reassured by the fact that you seem to have found some relief which is all any of us can wish for i guess.....xx

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 09:39:01 AM »

Hi there Mrs Bennet - sorry to hear you are struggling with this. Just to add that in addition to systemic HRT I use Vagifem twice weekly (and daily in the week leading up to taking progesterone part of HRT) and I always find it irritates my bladder the day I use it (ie increased frequency) - though overall its effects are positive on the vaginal area. Not sure why this is - fillers, or the sudden blast of estradiol or what but I just accept it. It must be difficult if it is causing severe irritation. The old Gynest pessaries were brilliant - but estriol now only available as creams with re-usable applicator. When the new (DHEA) vaginal product becomes available I will definitely be trying it as it is a waxy capsule just like the old Gynest pessaries - hoping it is strong enough!

I hope you're feeling more comfortable today.

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2 3