Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Banking and postal services  (Read 5215 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Banking and postal services
« on: February 17, 2019, 03:37:56 PM »

From another thread as I need to vent:

2 weeks ago went to the Building Society to cancel a cheque - sent 10th Feb., apparently not received.  However, that particular cheque book doesn't 'show on the system'  :-\

On checking that book against our Statements, it seems that although I have put dates on 2 cheques: i.e. for birthdays: the cheques have been presented and accepted by the Building Society prior to those dates  :bang:  is this 'normal' these days  :-\ ?  The dates were for their actual birth dates ........ (clear as mud?)

So that cheque book 'shows' enough on their system for them to allow money out of it  :o

I asked that the cheque book be re-instated onto the system in the Branch that we use to be told that I have to ring an 0800 number and talk to someone ....... so that's next week taken care of, wonder how much that will cost and how much time B4 I reach a human bean  :-\

In the meantime:  we sent some important legal documents to the Pension Office for verification.  By a tracked system via Royal Mail.  They apparently arrived and were returned via a tracked system. However:

a) sent to DH but at the wrong address  :o - we found out because RM sent the whole package in one of their special envelopes to DH

b) signed for at that particular (wrong) address [in a village 5 miles away]

c) when checked to see who had signed for the package, it was stated on the RM records that DH had signed for it - well, nope  :-\

Fortunately the person who signed for the package in the village [5 miles away] took it to their PO which is directly opposite their property.  Phew! 

DH has spoken to the Pension Office about this as well as having e-mail 'conversations' with Royal Mail.

Do any of you realise that, despite paying a HUGE amount for a tracked package, even when addressed to a specific person it can be signed for by anyone at that particular address?  Their current argument is that it has been signed for.  That it has been delivered to the address on the envelope  :-\

So far DH hasn't found out

1 - how his package was sent to a different address

2 - can't get it through to the RM that this is a breach of Data Protection.  Someone, somewhere, typed in the wrong address on very important documents!   Someone, somewhere had to pluck off that other address in the village [5 miles away] in order to send it.

Good job that the person there is honest.  In these days when we are told to shred everything ..........

I'm having the same problem with Boots Opticians.  They sent 3 communications to Mum's address in the name of someone else: initially as Mr Anita ??? - there has never been anyone else living there except our family.  I have contacted the Data Protection branch of Boots Opticians and intiiall they were keen to sort it, then it went quiet  :-\

So beware if paying for extra Royal Mail services: we will be finding out exactly where we stand legally having paid for a particular service.  Might just as well sent it 1st Class!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 03:47:23 PM by CLKD »

CLKD

Re: Banking and postal services
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 04:14:49 PM »

She should think of people to whom cheques are essential, particularly where Banks don't exist!  The High Street is losing Banking at a rate of knots!

Also: small organisations rely on cheques.  Regardless of what the Banks want, they are essential to small sports clubs. Without the use of cheques ours would have to close.  The Bank in our local town are making it more difficult to pay in small amounts and certainly won't accept cash, everything has to go through an Account.  But they won't allow anyone to pay in, it has to be named people: in a Club of 56 people, the Bank will only accept 3 to pay in  >:(.  They are charging for alterations of those named people which makes their services more and more expensive. 

When we organise competitions we take cheques in advance: when we know that we have enough people to help set up the competition as well as enough to take part, then we bank those cheques.  Without cheques we are unable to host those competitions.  Other forms of payment are OK until we need to re-pay anyone ......... which has to be by cheque  ::).

Clear as mud  :D but cheques will remain essential to many people.  I send cheques to my family members so that I have a paper trail.  I refuse to accept that cheques are no longer part of daily living.   

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 04:57:14 PM »

I've just looked at my cheque book. I write one a month for the milk which I still stubbornly have delivered despite the price. The cheque book was issued in 2017!

Why did the person sign for something not meant for someone not at their address? No specs on maybe  :-\

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 05:10:51 PM »

Hi All!   So much for money laundering then.  Everything else seems to be water tight.  What if I hadn't had money in the account to cover that amount until after the date on the cheque  :-\

It is legal tender, after the date on the cheque .......... no one has the right to remove money from an account prior to the date on the cheque, surely.  Something else to point out.  I'm beginning to feel a list coming on  ;D

Shadyglade

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 05:28:41 PM »

I nerver write cheques anymore, don't think many people do ???

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 06:09:40 PM »

I nerver write cheques anymore, don't think many people do ???
Neither do I. I still have a cheque book but can't think when i last used it. I do an online bank transfer. If it is a large amount, I do a test transfer first to a new recipient for about £5 and ask them to confirm safe receipt.

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 06:42:04 PM »

I've not written a cheque for years.  Funnily enough Solicitors use them all the time. 

Shadyglade

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 07:53:18 PM »

I've not written a cheque for years.  Funnily enough Solicitors use them all the time.

That's so they can slow things down as much as possible  ::)

And charge you for it.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 09:13:04 PM »

Deposits which can be returned maybe, easier to hand back a cheque.  Haven't used a Solicitor for years, I wasn't very happy last time  :-\

littleminnie

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 08:29:05 AM »

I deal with solicitors at work and they don't have a company credit/debit card so they send cheques.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 12:44:59 PM »

It rumbles on.  Hope you are not too bored but do be aware that this could happen to any of you.

Wednesday we sent a letter with a cheque to the person - recorded delivery.  1st class, should have received it yesterday.  The tracking details show that it has been signed for but the person concerned hasn't received it.  There is a squggilled signature and it is said that the surname is that of the person I sent the letter to, but he hasn't signed for it  :-\.  It also doesn't look like his signature!!

DH has put a complaint in to Royal Mail on-line.  We have talked to the Post Office from where we posted the letter/cheque to alert them.  The person is now knocking on neighbours' doors to see if they signed for a letter .......... of course, no one else should have done so!!   Again, paying for a tracking system that hasn't been honoured!

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 04:01:08 PM »

Do you have a Bank to pay into?

We ordered a cheque book on Mum's account 2 weeks ago.  Still hasn't arrived.  DH went into the Branch riding a Black Horse  ;) to make sure they will send it (eventually) to our address.  I have 1 left and need to pay a bill to the Care Home. 

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 04:14:55 PM »

Can't.  Have to have a paper trail as it isn't our money.  I want to use a cheque book.  They have a place in Society  ;).  I can't put a Direct Debit in place as the amount isn't the same each month. 

Mum had trouble with that Bank when she lived at home, she would phone for a new book and they made her jump through hoops and rings - we went into the Bank with her and ordered it over the counter.  DH put foot down with firm hand  ;)

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 04:43:30 PM »

Some Banks don't send Statements these days.  Unless requested.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 05:00:33 PM »

I won't.  They've got to catch me first  ;D

I like to take Life slowly.  I'm a Luddite at heart.  Apparently.
Pages: [1] 2