Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Vaginal Testosterone Cream vs Estradiol Vaginal Ring for Vaginal Dryness  (Read 1476 times)

pepperminty

Hi,

this is a link to this study- could any of the more scientific minded among us explain to me whether Testosterone is good for the vagina?

Vaginal Testosterone Cream vs Estradiol Vaginal Ring
for Vaginal Dryness or Decreased Libido in Women Receiving
Aromatase Inhibitors for Early-Stage Breast Cancer
A Randomized Clinical Trial

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamaoncology/fullarticle/2580714

Peppermintyx

Hurdity

Hi pepperminty

The question you are asking was not the subject of the study which was to determine the systemic absorption of a testosterone cream vs the estradiol vaginal ring with reference to breast cancer sufferers and the use of local hormone treatments. As such it did not go into a mechanistic explanation although the results confirm that the testosterone cream worked - but this had I think already been established in a previous study.

As far as I know testosterone cream is not available anyway so it's not really applicable at the moment.

However the new vaginal treatment Intrarosa (prasterone) is apparently soon to be launched in UK and this contains DHEA which is thought to work by being metabolised to oestrogen and/or testosterone in vaginal tissues.

We already have effective oestrogen treatments but it would be interesting to know if testosterone could have other effects than vaginal maturation eg libido itself?!

Hurdity x

pepperminty

Thanks Hurdity, I know there are ladies who cannot use topical estrogen and I thought it may be an alternative eventually. Intrarosa sounds interesting.

Peppermintyx

Hurdity

I doubt it would be available as an alternative as in an "alternative" non-hormonal treatment as the study actually showed higher systemic estradiol levels with the testosterone cream than with the vaginal ring in a few of the patients, although with lower testosterone concentrations the resulting estradiol levels could also be lowered. In other words the testosterone is metabolised to estradiol and is absorbed systemically to a small extent just as with current vagonal oestrogen preparations.

It would be another hormonal vaginal treatment to choose from though - if it were developed!

Hurdity x

pepperminty

Yep more choice is needed, I hope with the current surge of menopause related media something will be done.

PMx