Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena coil over 60  (Read 3595 times)

ann58

Mirena coil over 60
« on: February 03, 2019, 09:18:38 AM »

Does anyone else over 60 have a mirena coil for progesterone part of hrt?

Hurdity

Re: Mirena coil over 60
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 09:27:50 AM »

Never had one but I was offered one when I had a hysteroscopy at age 60 due to spotting - but I declined.

Hurdity x

ann58

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 10:08:26 AM »

I've had one for 4 years now and gyneacologist wants to replace it. It has worked well for me but wondering if I should continue since I'm over 60. I have oestrogen patches and managing fine with a lower dose of 25mcg

sheila99

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 01:25:45 PM »

Following with interest as I'm considering it too. Not over 60 yet but getting too close for comfort! Does it hurt more inserting it when you're older?

ann58

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 02:45:03 PM »

I had my first one put in when I was 56, no problems at all. I think I will probably follow my gyneacologist avise and get another one in. Will let you know if it hurts more!

Fee

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 03:50:17 PM »

I have had a Mirena for the last 10 years, the life span of the coil is 5 years.  My dr removed and replaced my last one five years ago but unfortunately I now I have to attend the local hospital.  My appointment last week didn't quite go according to plan, the Consultant removed my coil but was unable to fit the new one and said I would have to have it done under a local anaesthetic so another appointment has been made.   I spoke to my gp and she said it was perfectly o.k for me....aged 65.... to have a new one fitted as it protects the womb and I must admit I've had no problems with it at all and has worked well for me.   I must admit to not looking forward to having the new one inserted but needs must.

I also use Estraderm 50 patches and the combination suits me fine. 

ann58

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 05:15:11 PM »

I have had a Mirena for the last 10 years, the life span of the coil is 5 years.  My dr removed and replaced my last one five years ago but unfortunately I now I have to attend the local hospital.  My appointment last week didn't quite go according to plan, the Consultant removed my coil but was unable to fit the new one and said I would have to have it done under a local anaesthetic so another appointment has been made.   I spoke to my gp and she said it was perfectly o.k for me....aged 65.... to have a new one fitted as it protects the womb and I must admit I've had no problems with it at all and has worked well for me.   I must admit to not looking forward to having the new one inserted but needs must.

I also use Estraderm 50 patches and the combination suits me fine.
That's good to know that you have been ok with it. I think I'll get another one inserted. I dropped down from the Estraderm 50 to 25 and I'm managing fine with that combination.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 07:16:28 PM »

The only thing I would say is the dose (of progestogen from a new Mirena) is quite high to start with and I wonder if you can persuade your gynae to let you have the Jaydess instead (unlicensed for HRT) which is a lower dose of progestogen, in view of your low dose patch. Sometimes the endometrium can become atrophic and bleed if the progestogen dose is too high and oestrogen is insufficient.

Hurdity x

ann58

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 08:03:48 AM »

I'll ask my gyneacologist about the jaydess. Thank you