Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Mammograms  (Read 1679 times)

Cassie

Mammograms
« on: January 31, 2019, 08:49:13 AM »

Good morning Ladies, I would love you to share your opinions, on mammogram screenings. I have been going religiously since I was 40 and am now in my 50s. My gynae was referring me every 2 yrs for a regular screening. I have become somewhat paranoid of late listening to and reading stories predicting dire consequences of too much exposure to Xrays during mammos and how they can actually cause cancer, I have a friend who is adamant it caused hers. I have therefore requested just an ultrasound in future and have been told by the Xray Dept that this is not acceptable, I have to have the mammo and will be referred for ultrasound, should it be deemed necessary. So I am therefore being forced to have a procedure that I am not comfortable with when I could have a non invasive ultrasound, which I believe is just as effective, should I push to have the ultrasound again or is it a lost cause....any input would be greatly appreciated, I am aware that the benefits possibly outweigh the risks of the mammos but still feel why expose oneself if there is a danger when one could get away with an ultrasound, I guess it boils down to funds again :-\

Shadyglade

Re: Mammograms
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 08:53:16 AM »

Why did you need mammograms so young and so often Cassie. Are you regarded as being high risk for breast cancer?

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 09:00:14 AM »

Hi Cassie,I've had mammograms since my 30s,every year,only since I hit 50 do I now go every 3 years as risk of it being hereditary has dropped.The amount of radiation you're exposed to is minimal with a mammography,try not worry about it xx

AgathaC

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 09:34:33 AM »

Hello Cassie, I'm in the same position as Jaypo.
I've had mammograms AND ultrasounds every year since I was in my early 30's. My sister had BC at 37.
I'm now 47 and wouldn't miss my annual check for anything.
As I understand it, the mammogram screens (and gives a picture which you can compare year on year). The ultrasound gives a fuller picture and means that they can look closely at any anomalies on the mammogram.
I'm not technical and someone else will explain it better than I can.
My consultant said far better to have the minimal X-ray exposure than to not have the mammogram at all xx

AgathaC

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 10:09:08 AM »

I believe that the NHS screening program will call you every three years between 50 and 70. This is being reduced to 47 in some areas of the country.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 10:20:50 AM »

I believe that the NHS screening program will call you every three years between 50 and 70. This is being reduced to 47 in some areas of the country.
I was first called at nearly 51 and again 3 years later in 2018.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 10:22:32 AM »

I've had mammos since God was a Lass.  Never thought anything of it.

I had them annually after treatment for breast disease (1990s).  Then I got fed up with going as my lump never showed on X-ray.  I now get called every 3 years, went 2 weeks ago: result OK.

You sit in front of a computer screen?  You have a TV?  Microwave  ::)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 02:24:44 PM by CLKD »

Peacegirl

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 01:19:49 PM »

Have been reading up on this again and i feel unsure about whether ultrasound is as effective on its own or still needs to be inconjunction with a mammogram. Honestly wherever i look there seems to be a different answer! I have read all the info about the risks too. Difficult to make informed choices with so much conflicting info out there!  Good luck!

!
Good morning Ladies, I would love you to share your opinions, on mammogram screenings. I have been going religiously since I was 40 and am now in my 50s. My gynae was referring me every 2 yrs for a regular screening. I have become somewhat paranoid of late listening to and reading stories predicting dire consequences of too much exposure to Xrays during mammos and how they can actually cause cancer, I have a friend who is adamant it caused hers. I have therefore requested just an ultrasound in future and have been told by the Xray Dept that this is not acceptable, I have to have the mammo and will be referred for ultrasound, should it be deemed necessary. So I am therefore being forced to have a procedure that I am not comfortable with when I could have a non invasive ultrasound, which I believe is just as effective, should I push to have the ultrasound again or is it a lost cause....any input would be greatly appreciated, I am aware that the benefits possibly outweigh the risks of the mammos but still feel why expose oneself if there is a danger when one could get away with an ultrasound, I guess it boils down to funds again :-\

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 02:25:45 PM »

Ultra sound is more costly and takes longer.  I had ultra sound when I was worried 5 years ago, referred to a private Consultant (who I didn't like) who did the procedure and it didn't show anything untoward.

Cassie

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 02:27:47 PM »

My gynae referred me from 40 for a base line then again 45 and from 50 every few years. Not high risk.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 02:31:57 PM »

Years ago there was an offer at age 65 which is when Mum was found to have a tumour so underwent mastectomy.  She hasn't had a mammo since  ::)