Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Painful mammogram advice please  (Read 3053 times)

Peacegirl

Painful mammogram advice please
« on: January 30, 2019, 07:38:57 PM »

Ive just challenged myself to go for one having missed one as last time it has become so painful I nearly fainted at the last one. It hasnt always been this way- when I was younger it was just uncomfortable. 

so, i just wondered if anyone does experience severe pain , have you ever tried taking some preventative pain relief and did it work?

(Anyone who's reading this and has never had one please dont be put off- most people find them tolerable.)

jaypo

Re: Painful mammogram advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 07:49:19 PM »

Hi peacegirl, I think it really depends on who does it,I've always thought it's a tad uncomfortable but nothing I can't cope with,until the one before last,it was so so sore,like she was squashing a bit too much & lo and behold that was the one & only time I was recalled,needless to say I was up the wall with anxiety but when they re did it at hospital they said all was ok,just not a clear picture,always wondered if that was because she over squashed me

Conolly

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 07:52:51 PM »

Hello Peacegirl,

I have dense breast tissue and mammograms are often very painful. I have never taken pain killers beforehand (I might try next time!), what I do is just try to relax as much as possible, muscular tension is probably the main cause of pain. Last time the lady was so lovely talking to me during the whole process and the pain was bearable, but more important, it didn't last for days as it used to.

Conolly X

allybally

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 09:03:43 PM »

Hi Peacegirl, my radiographer suggested taking paracetamol an hour before mammogram, I however forgot, so can't tell you if it helps..worth a try?

Please please NEVER put off having your mammograms, I know it can be very painful, but it lasts for seconds, I find deep breathing helps.

I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and am currently having treatment, this was picked up from a routine mammogram, I would never have known as there was nothing to see or feel..I am lucky in that it was found early and is very treatable... if I had missed a mammogram, well I hate to think what might have happened...

sheila99

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 09:47:06 PM »

I have always found them excruciating but the machine they've used the last couple of times doesn't squeeze them as much as the old machines. I've recently been checked because of a lump (it was a cyst), I told her I found it painful so she stopped as soon as I said it was painful enough.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 09:57:58 PM »

Ive just challenged myself to go for one having missed one as last time it has become so painful I nearly fainted at the last one. It hasnt always been this way- when I was younger it was just uncomfortable. 

so, i just wondered if anyone does experience severe pain , have you ever tried taking some preventative pain relief and did it work?

(Anyone who's reading this and has never had one please dont be put off- most people find them tolerable.)
  I have had 2 so far. The 2nd gave me slightly more discomfort than the 1st but the stress of waiting for the result is far worse for me (after being recalled first time).

Peacegirl

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 08:24:08 AM »

Thank you for posting this. Im definitely going to be brave this time. Hope your treatments going well?

Hi Peacegirl, my radiographer suggested taking paracetamol an hour before mammogram, I however forgot, so can't tell you if it helps..worth a try?

Please please NEVER put off having your mammograms, I know it can be very painful, but it lasts for seconds, I find deep breathing helps.

I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and am currently having treatment, this was picked up from a routine mammogram, I would never have known as there was nothing to see or feel..I am lucky in that it was found early and is very treatable... if I had missed a mammogram, well I hate to think what might have happened...

Peacegirl

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 12:49:28 PM »

Just did a test Squeeze and it was like squeezing multiple abscesses. On the plus side- ive noticed how unhelpful my mind is being i.e its saying ‘stop this my boobs are going to split' . Thank you mind!!
They cant split can they?

‘Note to self' do not google ‘can my boobs split during mammogram'?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 01:16:04 PM »

Mine didn't.  3 weeks ago. It was the best exam I have ever had, [65 years] in fact I wondered whether she had pressed the plates down hard enough!  Also, the result is negative  ;).

Breasts don't split as it is such a short time although it feels like ages!

Peacegirl

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 01:21:22 PM »

Mine didn't.  3 weeks ago. It was the best exam I have ever had, [65 years] in fact I wondered whether she had pressed the plates down hard enough!  Also, the result is negative  ;).

Breasts don't split as it is such a short time although it feels like ages!

Ahh, thanks for posting. Maybe it helps to have a good technician. And great news re your result!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 02:26:36 PM »

:thankyou: to B honest I dreaded them more and more over the years, same with cervical smears so was really surprised that it wasn't painful.  Her hands were cold though  ;D is there no pleasing me  ::)

allybally

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 01:47:55 PM »

Peacegirl, am waiting to start radio at end of month, am struggling with side effects of Tamoxifen, i.e. poor sleep, night sweats, mood swings, in fact all the lovely menopause symptoms I had before HRT.! My oncologist said if it gets too much to stop taking the drug as it can also cause endometrial cancer and DVT. Wow, you really don't know what to do for the best?
I also have to have mirena coil out, went to Sexual Health clinic this week to see about that and they couldnt find the strings?! So I have to go back on Valentines Day for further investigations, how lovely.... also I have a UTI.......sigh,
" Sometimes it's haaaard to be a woman".... lol

jaypo

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 02:11:23 PM »

Wow ally,you're a braver woman than me,keep strong girl xx

dahliagirl

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 10:43:20 PM »

I was very wary after my first one and took paracetamol about 2 hours before and nurophen plus just before I went out. Totally bombproof  ;D

I think part of the problem was being given the appointment for the ‘wrong time of the month'  ::)