Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Worried About Bleeding and Anaemia  (Read 1317 times)

Kathleen

Worried About Bleeding and Anaemia
« on: January 20, 2019, 09:58:57 AM »

Hello ladies.

Sorry to bother you again but I'm really worried and need some advice.

Since August I have been experimenting with Oestrogel 3 pumps and Utrogestan vaginally on a long cycle as agreed by my consultant. The bleeds I've had have been quite heavy  and very much like the periods I used to have. I realise that I shouldn't fiddle with the regime but I know that my iron levels are low so this month I continued using the Utrogestan every day in the hope that I wouldn't bleed. Unfortunately this hasn't worked and I'm bleeding heavily again.  I don't really want to reduce the Oestrogel pumps but  perhaps the Utrogestan vaginally isn't enough to stop the womb lining building up, even when I use it continually.

My question is ladies should I take the Utrogestan orally in the hope that it stops the bleeding? I need to see my GP soon about my low iron levels and I'm supposed to make an appointment with my consultant next month. In the meantime I would be grateful for any comments as I'm feeling pretty fatigued etc and I worry that the heavy bleeds are making it worse.

Thank you so much for reading this ladies and I wish you all well.

K.

Conolly

Re: Worried About Bleeding and Anaemia
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 10:11:40 AM »

Hello Kathleen,

You never bother us.

I'm sorry you're still struggling. You have two choices, up Utrogestan dose or change for another progestogen.

Do you have Utrogestan side effects? I don't think taking it orally would improve the bleeding because local absorption is greater when taken vaginally. The oral route is advised for helping with sleep.

What about the coil? I understand it is the first choice for heavy bleeding.

Hope you can settle soon.

Conolly X

Kathleen

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 10:37:30 AM »

Hello Conolly.

Thank you so much for your quick response.

When you say increase the dosage of Utrogestan would that mean taking 200mcg vaginally instead of 100mcg that I currently use? I would need to ask my consultant to change my prescription but I wonder if I could use two 100mcg tablets together in the meantime?

Thanks again for your reply it's much appreciated.

Wishing you well.

K.

Conolly

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 02:13:56 PM »

Hello Kathleen,

That's not the recommended dose but if you're still bleeding that's what is recommended. I think Autumn27 has a similar problem and that's what her doctors have prescribed her. Here's the thread https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42280.msg668068.html#msg668068

Two capsules vaginally would be a bit messy, but if you don't mind... I guess that's ok until you can have your prescription changed.

What about the coil? I personally don't fancy the idea but, tbh, bleeding is much worse. If there is something I absolutely love about menopause is being finally free from 40 years of monthly bleeding.

My fingers are crossed that this will work for you.

Conolly X

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 04:32:25 PM »

Hello again Conolly.

Thank you so much for your kind response. I will certainly take a look at Autumn27‘s thread. I am also reluctant about the coil because as many ladies say, it has to be arranged to be removed if it doesn't suit.  Also I'm 62 and worry that my poor old bits wouldn't take kindly to being fiddled with lol.

Thanks again for your helpful suggestions.

Take care.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 08:16:34 PM »

Hi Kathleen

Just to confirm that vaginal absorption of progesterone alows more to get to the uterus and protect the lining than the same dose used orally.

Also yes if you've been fiddling with the regime then this is bound to mess things around. I seem to remember when you first discussed this I suggested just going for a normal length cycle to start with - which you had never tried I don't think (?) - and seeing what your bleeds were like, before gradually increasing your cycle length until you arrive at a cycle that suits your oestrogen regime and controls the bleeding sufficiently. You have gone straight for a longer cycle and increased your oestrogen, and assuming you are absorbing it well then this could account for the heavy bleeding (provided there is nothing amiss in your womb eg polyps or fibroids etc).

Did you change from using utrogestan 200 mg cyclically eg 12 days per two months or something to 100 mg daily? If so at what point in your cycle did you change?

The other thing is that daily utrogestan is far more likely to be the reason for your tiredness than the bleeding I would say - unless it is so heavy and you are lacking in iron - or have been confirmed with anaemia? It has a strong sedative effect that can also occur with vaginal use as more is absorbed systemically too from vaginal use - from what I've read. There is no way foir example that I would take it (prog) all the time and it's only when I emerge from the prog part of my cycle, the withdrawal and the bleed that I realise how s*** I was feeling and how much better I feel when just on oestrogen only!

Hello Kathleen,

That's not the recommended dose but if you're still bleeding that's what is recommended. I think Autumn27 has a similar problem and that's what her doctors have prescribed her. Here's the thread https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,42280.msg668068.html#msg668068

Two capsules vaginally would be a bit messy, but if you don't mind... I guess that's ok until you can have your prescription changed.

What about the coil? I personally don't fancy the idea but, tbh, bleeding is much worse. If there is something I absolutely love about menopause is being finally free from 40 years of monthly bleeding.

My fingers are crossed that this will work for you.

Conolly X

Kathleen - it's fine to increase the progestogen to control bleeding - it's what docs would suggest - but of course discuss with your doc. In fact in some of the papers I've seen 300 mg has been advised especially when used orally - but this is just not acceptable to most women so doesn't seem to have been adopted as one of the doses. This is probably the reason why Utrogestan doesn't seem to "work" in controlling bleeding in some women - because that higher dose has never been given as an option for (opposing) higher does of oestrogen.

As for the two x 100 mg Utrogestan capsules - this is the norm when Utrogestan is used for HRT cyclically - since the 200 mg capsules were withdrawn (even though the 200 mg capsule is still available for fertility). It is no more messy than 1 x 200 mg but dem balls are tiny as you know so a bit of a fiddle to poke 'em up at all!

Haha I know what you mean about fiddling with bits  ::). Every time my prog cycle and bleed comes round I swear it's time to stop - and like I said as soon as it's over and I feel great I just dread the alternative....

If any of this isn't clear re dosage and cycle etc do please ask again!

Hurdity x