Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Strange taste and smell  (Read 2864 times)

EleanorB

Strange taste and smell
« on: January 16, 2019, 08:18:30 PM »

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has experienced a recurring strange taste and smell since hitting meno. I keep getting this horrible sense of something like rancid perfume or slightly medicinal which comes and goes in my nasal passages/mouth. It's got slightly better on two months of low dose hrt and I thought i'd seen the back of it, then experienced some big stress the last week and it's back on and off.

Grateful for any thoughts/input.

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Strange taste and smell
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 08:48:56 PM »

Hi EleanorB

I haven't had the taste thing, but the smells I have.
They've died down now, but I could smell all kinds of stuff, sometimes they were there, and everyone could smell them, but to me, they were really over the top. Or nobody could smell them at all, and they'd look at me as if I was mad or something.
It's just a heightened sense of smell, I think, through this crappy meno journey......xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:14:56 PM »

Yep.   Particularly my cup of tea.  Bl with 2 sugars.  Weak.

The morning one is lovely.  As the day goes by the taste alters, even though DH makes it the same every time.  By mid-afternoon it tastes foul.

When I took the birth control Pill my sense of smell altered.  I could smell garbage but nowt else but didn't realise until 4-5 weeks after I stopped taking it.  Then I could smell the roses.  So yep.  HORMONES  >:(

Yesterday my mouth tasted foul even though I had cleaned my teeth exceptionally well  :(

EleanorB

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 08:48:39 AM »

Thanks for your replies. I'm a little reassured but what's weird is this seems to be internal, almost as if it emanates from inside my nasal passages and mouth, like an aftertaste although clearly I haven't eaten anything that tastes like weird, slightly rancid, perfumed medicine. For a while I thought it might be hand cream from having put my fingers to my mouth. Even threw a bottle away briefly convinced that was the solution, but no.

It's highly unpleasant but is lower down the list than the disabling brainfog/memory and bladder issues, which I am currently firefighting. Menopause fun, fun, fun.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 12:48:32 PM »

I have been eating bacon on toast for lunch for a few weeks but last Wed., it tasted different ...... so much so that I couldn't face it until today.  It tasted OK ....... HORMOENES  >:(  ::)

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 01:20:40 PM »

I remember when I was pregnant,the smell of tea or coffee made me so ill,I'm guessing that was hormones

Dierdre

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 06:39:17 PM »

Sinus problems can cause weird taste and smells even if not blocked nose could be infected further inside.

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 07:13:13 PM »

Hello EleanorB.

I had a metallic taste in my mouth for a short while during the early stages of my first pregnancy. I never had any other problems and my second pregnancy was equally trouble free. The meno however has been a nightmare and was the first time that I experienced morning sickness. It seems my hormones were determined to get me in the end lol.

I hope you feel better soon.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 11:43:01 AM »

Yep.  But fortunately I don't experience the strange taste with that. 

goldgalaxycat

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 11:24:58 PM »

Hello,

Wondering if anyone has experienced a recurring strange taste and smell since hitting meno. I keep getting this horrible sense of something like rancid perfume or slightly medicinal which comes and goes in my nasal passages/mouth. It's got slightly better on two months of low dose hrt and I thought i'd seen the back of it, then experienced some big stress the last week and it's back on and off.

Grateful for any thoughts/input.

Hi Eleanor

This has been happening to me for a few years on and off but just smell not taste. I first noticed it after having acrylic nails done. I could smell the acrid smell for two weeks afterwards. Sometimes if I've walked past strong smelling food I can smell a bitter smell days after. I thought I was going mad. Went to GP and he'd never heard of it. I feel like it's meno related but I do also have perrenial rhinitis which I don't think helps. I sometimes feel as though it is stress related.

Have you noticed it after you've smelt something strong?

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 11:42:20 PM »

Hi - welcome to our Thread!

Yep.  Also, I can eat something and several days later, the taste returns - what's all that about!  It's not even at the same time as reflux  ::).

Similar to my smelling garbage whilst on The Pill goldgalxycat ............