Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Vagifem ovestin and cancer risk  (Read 16443 times)

suzysunday

Re: Vagifem ovestin and cancer risk
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2019, 08:56:59 PM »

Yes thanks clkd and hurdity. Yes I was given the all clear and my lining went back to normal when I stopped the tibolone.  I have felt better this week so hope the ovestin will suffice in the long term.  I would be worried whatever medication I was on. I generally don't cope very well. This forum has been so helpful.

Conolly

« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2019, 08:58:51 PM »

Hello susysunday,

There's a relatively new product called Prasterone, sold as Intrarosa. It's going to be marketed in the UK by Theramex. It's a pessary for vaginal atrophy containing DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone) which is a hormone precursor (prehormone). It's another option for VA sufferers.

I have taken oral DHEA for one year during perimenopause and it definitely increased vaginal lubrication (long lost since my mid 40's) and improved hair thinning. Back then there was no vaginal pessary available, so you see, things are changing very rapidly. I thought you could be interested.  :-*

P.S. Launched planned for March https://www.sps.nhs.uk/medicines/prasterone/

Conolly X
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:18:56 PM by Conolly »

Hurdity

« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2019, 09:47:09 AM »

Intrarosa has been mentioned a few times on this forum and in particular I reported its approval in the EU here a year ago: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36199.msg612972.html#msg612972

However it is of course, a hormonal treatment with the DHEA being converted to oestrogen and/or testosterone in the vaginal tissues, but as with all vaginal treatments there is some systemic absorption but from what I've read, as with the estriol and estradiol vaginal preparations levels remain within the post-menopausal range. Nevertheless as a new product there certainly won't have been the amount of studies for this as there have been with the current products available.

Good to have a choice though and especially as it is similar in from to the discontinued Orthogynest waxy pessaries which many of us found very effective - although these latter were estriol which still is now only available as a cream.

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]