Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Natural Light  (Read 1551 times)

Roseneath

Natural Light
« on: January 07, 2019, 09:01:24 PM »

Interesting article on Radio 4 this morning on the effects of lack of natural light on anxiety /depression.  The speaker was advocating that being outside for only a short time in the winter, even on a very grey day was hugely more beneficial than being inside a brightly lit room and suggested this can impact on mood / circadian rhythms.   Inside a very bright room will give out around 200 lumens of light. Outside on a dull winters day gives out 2,000 lumens. (A sunny day can be up to 200,000).  Makes it worth trying to get out each day even if the sun 'aint shining.

AgathaC

Re: Natural Light
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 10:04:43 PM »

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I actually find being outside in the cold and rain more exhilarating than the joy of being outside in the warmth xx

Shadyglade

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 10:43:38 PM »

I listened to that, it was very interesting. Also the speaker who spoke about Inflammation in the body being a cause of depression.

Roseneath

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 03:25:32 PM »

Yes Shadey Glen. I think in years to come inflammation will be found to be at the heart of many Peri symptoms. It would certainly explain the stomach, joint, migraine problems I have been plagued with and never had before.  Also the anxiety if there is a link between inflammation and depression like they suggested.  I think increased cortisol and adrenaline over time is a contributing factor. I find it interesting that HRT doesn't seem to irradiate anxiety issues in Peri which suggests other things are going on aside from hormones.

BlueButterfly

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 03:28:54 PM »

I love natural light. I take vitamin D in the winter months but it never compares to getting actual sunshine. I'd be outside enjoying it if it wasn't so cold!

And yes, I think there is more going on than just hormones during this time of life. There's definitely an adrenaline/cortisol thing going on with me as well as the hormone mess.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 03:30:08 PM »

I've been for a brisk walk with DH.  Chilly.  Lovely.  We have a large garden so can wander around when we get sunshine or it's dry.

NaturalMystic

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 07:32:16 PM »

I'm actually buying myself one of those lamps

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 08:34:20 PM »

I sold one at auction a few years ago, it went for good money.  I bought it from an antique shop a few years prior to that but never used it, having the garden and all ..........

NaturalMystic

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 08:52:57 PM »

I sold one at auction a few years ago, it went for good money.  I bought it from an antique shop a few years prior to that but never used it, having the garden and all ..........
A friend of mine swears by it in winter

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 09:12:21 PM »

It certainly won't do any harm ..........