Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Scared to book colonoscopy  (Read 2447 times)

Tc

Scared to book colonoscopy
« on: January 17, 2019, 01:25:00 PM »

Hiya ladies. I have had choose and book form  for colonoscopy hidden under my pile of bills for over 3 weeks now.

Im avoiding booking it and I'm ashamed to say I'm scared .

During my op for tube and ovary removal a surgical instrument perforated my womb. It was by all accounts quite serious and the surgeon had to disclose it and showed me photos of it (shiver). They kept me in hospital nil by mouth in case I had to be taken back to surgery that night. Pumped me full of  anti biotics on a drip  and wouldnt let me home til the bleeding stopped.
I don't want to scare anyone waiting for the same op cos apparently it's rare

It was only in August my body is still healing from it.  I have a pelvic ultrasound booked for Feb and I'm fine with that it's  just with the colonoscopy its the thought of something invasive in case they manage to perforate something else.

I have convinced myself I don't need it.  I haven't told family about it as I know they will be mad at me for leaving it,

Im sitting here with the form in front of me and website open but i cant bring myself to book it.

On one hand I feel stupid for even saying this but cos something went wrong so recently  its like a new fear seems to have formed within me.

Any of you lovely ladies have any experiences/thoughts you might  like to share  please.

Cassie

Re: Scared to book colonoscopy
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 01:29:46 PM »

Hi Tc I was just as anxious, and I chose to have a sigmoidoscopy instead after listening to Lynn Faulds on You Tube, its very quick, you are awake, and do not have to drink that awful prep. Take a look @ the video and chat to your Dr about that. The other option is to have a virtual colonoscopy which is a scan, but not sure if NHS would cover that but do look at the sigmoidoscopy it took about 10 mins and was a doddle in comparison to the colonscopy that my OH had and all the prep involved.

Tc

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 01:32:37 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply cassie. I will look at the vid.
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 01:34:02 PM »

It's OK to be scared!  I remember how I felt prior to my first surgery in the 1980s. 

This is your decision.  Is there any rush to get this procedure done?  Could you go along to the Consultant for discussion about your fears prior to making up your mind?

pepperminty

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 02:15:27 PM »

Hi TC,

I was very worried when I had one along with a gastroscopy at the same time. I chose to have  anathestic as I did not want to be awake at the time. The stuff they give you to make you poop emptying your bowels befotre the op was the most unpleasant bit, but I stocked up on clear jelly babies , bovril ( clear soup ) clear sweets to suck and lemonade. The op itself was done with 3 nice ladies in the room, and I remember asking them not to mix up the 2 tubes at either end! I was unaware of most of it.

If you have had a dreadful experince previously it is not surprising that you feel like you do. Call the department ( i did) and tell them how you feel, and they will reassure you and also I am sure will take special care due to your past experience.

When I woke up I felt fine and had a cup of tea and a beef sandwhich before I left.

I felt a bit wierd whn I got home and slept it all off, and was fine the next day.

Peppermintyx

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 02:24:51 PM »

Hi tc, I had a colonoscopy 2 years ago, I won't tell you it was pain free as it wasn't but the pain was for literally seconds,they wanted to do another one this year and I said no,you can request a ct colonoscopy,the only difference with this is,if they see anything they can't take a biopsy,it is pain free though and I wouldn't be bothered if I had to get one again.just tell your dr,that's what you want or to be knocked out for a colonoscopy

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 03:01:44 PM »

Hello Tc.

I have had two colonoscopies with sedation. The prep for the first one was horrible but I was given a different prep for the second procedure and that was much better. I had some sedation each time via a cannula in the wrist and was completely pain free even when biopsies were taken and a polyp removed. I also enjoyed looking at the images on the screen. I have also had two sigmoidoscopies which are  very quick and don't require sedation but they only look at one  small part of intestines called the sigmoid colon so are not as thorough as a full colonoscopy.

I completely understand your worry but you have nothing to fear and the liquid diazepam they give you is very pleasant!

Wishing you well.

K.

Tc

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 03:57:04 PM »

Thank you ladies so much..
I'm not worried so much about the pain or prep just that something will go wrong and i will probably work myself up into a panic anxiety attack on the day.so I think the sedation will be a must!!.

The alternative procedure is very tempting tho but if it might mean I only end up going on to have  the colonoscopy anyway then I guess It might be best to just go for it. .

Thinking it through . I'm sure
 I have read before that there is an idea from some quarters  that ppl over a certain age should get a routine test anyway. So maybe I should think of it as an opportunity  to just check all is ok.
Look at me putting a positive spin on it !!

Just shows how talking about these things can make you see things differently 
So Thank you all or your very reassuring and helpful replies and for sharing

Gonna sleep on it and  steal myself to book itomoro. Putting it off I know  but it's only one more day..
My best wishes to you all xxx

pepperminty

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 04:03:31 PM »

Great, Glad you are feeling better.

Peppermintyx

Woodlands

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 04:12:58 PM »

Hi there.
I had one without sedation but used gas and air for pain relief.
Was in and out in an hour n all good xx

jaypo

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 04:14:35 PM »

You should definitely go for some procedure,a colonoscopy only shows up the large intestine whereas a ct colonoscopy shows the whole kit and caboodle (medical term😆)

Tc

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 04:52:37 PM »

Jaypo 😀

Tc

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2019, 12:21:55 PM »

Thanks sparkle
 I've got doc appt on Wednesday.so will ask then.