Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hrt & anti-depressants  (Read 3069 times)

Charlie62

Hrt & anti-depressants
« on: January 11, 2019, 11:22:53 AM »

Hi Ladies,
I have posted on here before and have received some good advice but need some more.
I'm 56, was on progesterone only pill till nearly 55. No period for years. Started on Femoston 1/5, after about a year felt it wasn't helping with mood swings and psychological problems I was experiencing although no hot flushes so it was helping with my physical symptoms. Doctor tried to give me ADs but didnt want to go down that route so changed to Evorel conti patches. 3 months later I feel the same as i did on femoston. Seen another doctor this morning who also advised taking the ADs although on a small dose to start with. She also advised maybe reducing my patch to half to see if the flushes etc return. the AD she prescribed is Sertraline 50mg but said to halve it to start with as I have had a bad experience with them before. She also said Venlafaxine is also used for anxiety etc in menopausal women.

Sorry for the long post but was wondering if anyone has used this combination of everol and sertraline and had good results.

TIA

Jules53

Re: Hrt & anti-depressants
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 08:53:15 PM »

Hi Charlie62

I have taken Venlafaxine a couple of times now for anxiety and it workd well once it started working. However, it does make you feel more anxious to start with and takes a while to work. I was also on HRT patches when I was taking it.

They are well known for being difficult to get off but if you take it slowly it is fine. I came off the Venlafaxine about 8 months ago and have been fine but have had thyroid surgery and have been feeling anxious again. The doctor wants me to go back on Venlafaxine but I  put quite a lot of weight on which I haven't lost yet so am reluctant to take them.   I am trying some herbal options first.

As you can see there are pros and cons so I hope I haven't confused you.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 09:11:57 PM »

Some people find withdrawal difficult, others don't.  Weaned off is the way to go.  Quality of Life is important  ;)

Charlie62

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 02:23:18 PM »

Thank you Jules53
I think i am making myself more anxious just thinking about taking the ADs. I did take peroxetine when i was younger for PMT and the gp said if i could tolerate that (i don't think they are prescribed anymore) then i should be ok on sertraline.
Im off skiing in a couple of weeks so think i will wait til i get back in case i feel worse on them. I feel i have put weight on since changing to the patches so hope i don't gain more on the ADs.
Fingers crossed I get this sorted
Hi Charlie62

I have taken Venlafaxine a couple of times now for anxiety and it workd well once it started working. However, it does make you feel more anxious to start with and takes a while to work. I was also on HRT patches when I was taking it.

They are well known for being difficult to get off but if you take it slowly it is fine. I came off the Venlafaxine about 8 months ago and have been fine but have had thyroid surgery and have been feeling anxious again. The doctor wants me to go back on Venlafaxine but I  put quite a lot of weight on which I haven't lost yet so am reluctant to take them.   I am trying some herbal options first.

As you can see there are pros and cons so I hope I haven't confused you.

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 03:35:39 PM »

I've never gained with on ADs.  Enjoy your skiing, hopefully not Austria  :-\ ?  Let us know how you get on!

Charlie62

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 09:54:48 PM »

I've never gained with on ADs.  Enjoy your skiing, hopefully not Austria  :-\ ?  Let us know how you get on!

Thank you CLKD. I'm not going to Austria thankfully, going to Andorra but its the only place not to have had much snow yet so may have to enjoy the apres ski instead lol  :)

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 09:58:21 PM »

You enjoy.  Many years DH and I were in the Pyrenees sitting on a deck with hot chocolate.  The snow was 'up there' - looks good on a C.mas card and on top of the mountains ;-).

Jules53

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 08:19:20 PM »

Hi Charlie62

I know this post is about 6 weeks old but I just wondered if you started the Venlafaxine in the end and how you are getting on?

I started back in them yesterday so it would be good to compare notes.

Jules

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 09:53:50 PM »

HI,
I Have been on SSRi's on and off for about 30 years.  The have frankly saved me on many occasions.  I am probably very biased as i know how effective they are for me.
I am not sure i will ever stop permanently - i have sort of accepted that it was the way i was made.
As for withdrawal - yes- you do, but tapering the dose down will minimise them. The problem with stopping for me , is that my symptoms always come back-eventually and the reason i have taken them for so long is i figure why feel utterly horrendus when you don't have to and to feel well is certainly addictive.
You have to cost/benefit the situation and how that sits with you.
There is of course the persistant societal stigma about antidepressants and mental health generally.  I still, after all these years don't tell many people(except maybe half a million on here!), it is almost and admission of 'failure'
But in reality it is not.
Think of it this way- if you had a chest infection would you take the antibiotics, or if you were a diabetic woudl you take the insulin.

Charlie62

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 07:39:23 PM »

Hi ladies, sorry I haven't replied or posted for a while. I didn't start the sertraline as I got a new job and was worried about the side effects and what impact it would have on me whilst training. I have felt ok for a while but today I feel like I have been hit by a truck. Feel sick & bloated, stomach ache, ache all over, quite tearful, headache, light headed. I feel a bit panicky & anxious too.
Is venlafaxine similar to sertraline?
Jules53 let me know how you get on

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 07:41:49 PM »

HORMONES  >:(  ::)

How is the job going?

ADs have saved my Life.  I had my annual review with my GP today who has agreed to continue my repeat prescriptions  ;)

Charlie62

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 08:45:22 PM »

HORMONES  >:(  ::)

How is the job going?

ADs have saved my Life.  I had my annual review with my GP today who has agreed to continue my repeat prescriptions  ;)
Job is going ok thank you. The ladies I'm working with are really nice & supportive. I'm trying to be really positive as I don't want to discuss my menopause, anxiety problems. It's quite nice to be focusing on something else. Iv also enrolled in online therapy sessions but they haven't started yet.
Still got the Ads as a back up though if things get too hard for me