Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Change of diet - ideas please  (Read 1934 times)

Lynda07

Change of diet - ideas please
« on: December 04, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »

Hi,

I find I am wanting to eat smalller but more frequent meals these days but really lack imagination in terms of what to eat. Any healthy snack/small meal ideas would be so gratefully received.

Thanks

Lynda

jaypo

Re: Change of diet - ideas please
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 07:45:19 PM »

Not sure what you like but I enjoy some alpro yogurt with fresh raspberries & strawberries topped with a nutty granola,really nutritious & yummy 😋

Lynda07

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 07:54:36 PM »

Thanks  :) I love the sound of that.

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 08:12:46 PM »

Or a wine and a packet of crisps 😂
I'm veggie so I'm afraid I can only offer vegetarian options but I always love anything with sweet fruits & yogurts,also salads with pinenuts,they're more pricey than most nuts but if you dry fry them or dry roast them,they are delicious 😋

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 08:15:57 PM »

Start the day with a breakfast ;-).

I eat a good muesli - 'lizis .... ' ; a little milk poured over with hot cup of black tea, 2 sugars.  Lunch is the difficult time for me and it depends on where we are.  Usually cheese and biscuits with fruit.  Evening meal is usually hot: home made hot curry with rice; hot mince mixture poured over pasta; bacon/egg/toast/beans ..... it does depend on when you prefer to eat your main meal.

Snacks: dried fruits and nuts; bananas; salted nuts; various yoghurts but it does depend on what I fancy.  DH has dried mangoes, dates, figs as fillers. 

I allow myself biscuits.  Toasted tea cakes.  Egg custards.  Chocoloate  :-\ pots.  Croissants.  Full fat Coke.  Danish pastries.  It does depend on how my anxiety is and where we are. 

What do you like to eat, do you bake?  DH cooks large amounts of curry or mince mixture to freeze in bite size tubs.  Ready within 20 mins..

Lynda07

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 08:26:03 PM »

Jaypo, sadly thenwine and crisps is in there all too often lol.

CLKD, thank you. I like most things, not a huge cheese eater and struggle with the texture of bananas. I love curry and never thought of freezing smaller amounts, that's a great idea!

Lynda07

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 08:26:38 PM »

PS I occasionally bake,  nothing fancy but enjoy doing it.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 08:51:39 PM »

We have a receipe section here somewhere  ::).

I don't cook.  DH does it.  We have Indian friends so lots of recipes both vegetarian and with meat.  They never turn out the same as done by hand, a bit of this spice and a small amount of that is never weighed.  Same with the mince mixture: ginger, garlic, hand-chopped horseradish fried gently with mince - add salt, pepper, chilly, mixed peppers etc., can be frozen in small amounts.

Pancakes are also my go-to  ;)

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 10:31:45 PM »

Since having gut issues with hpylori infection I've had to make huge changes to my diet but all for the better.
I've gone gluten free this year and lactose free.I don't find it at all difficult to manage and I'm certainly feeling the benefits.
I'll have gluten free honey flakes with full fat lactose free milk it's delicious.blue box with cow on front next to normal milk or near yoghurt.ill have a papaya halved and scooped into bowl with coconut milk kefir yoghurt either for breakfast or as a dessert at night.i have jacket potato with a bit of goats butter and tuna mixed with avocado very filling but not huge portions or jacket potato with curried caulifliwer yum.last night i had rib eye steak with mashed butternut squash i make bone broth with chicken thighs boiled for at least an hour then transfer stock to soup maker and add carrots butternut squash parsnip parsley and mixed herbs.no onions peppers or leeks I'm off them.tablespoon of ground milled flax seeds lid on cook for 25 mins then blend perfect with gluten free bread for light lunches.cover the chicken thighs from the stock pot with olive oil salt and herbs and roast in oven for half hour lovely. theres loads of great options so just have fun experimenting you'll feel so much healthier and your gut will thank you.Im trying out various foodstuffs now instead of hrt as well and I'm determined to stick at it.good luck and most importantly enjoy what you eat DD😘

jaypo

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 09:16:05 AM »

Avocado and poached egg on toast,there's also a heap of soup recipes online, I make a big pot then keep it in fridge & have some as and when

Lynda07

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 09:23:41 PM »

Thank you all for your replies and ideas x

crazycatlady

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 02:06:34 PM »

Snacks/small meals:
- hummus & carrot sticks
- toasties
- baked potato with tuna or cottage cheese & sweetcorn (only practical as a snack if you have a microwave)
- boiled eggs & toast
- scrambled eggs or omelette with peas added in at the end
- pasta with tin sardines (warmed gently), on bed of lettuce/small tomatoes
- lightly boiled cauliflower topped with grated cheese and lots of black pepper. Boiled sweet potato good like this too, just don't let it over cook or it gets mushy.
- pasta with pesto sauce & frozen peas, topped with toasted sunflower seeds & some grated cheese.

Bigger meals (eat as much as you like & freeze the rest or keep for tomorrow):
- chick pea curry with fresh coriander on top (lots of recipes on Youtube)
- dhal/ mild lentil curry (see Youtube)
- chilli con carne (I make the bulk of it with mushrooms, red pepper, carrots, garlic, chilli, tins soft beans like borlotti & tin tomatoes - and blend them together after cooking for about 20mins. Then I separate it in two & add Quorn mince in half of it & cooked beef mince in other half (I'm veggie, son's not) & cook a bit more. Keep half for next day, or put in freezer.
- Soup with Pumpkin squash/sweet potato/red lentil/carrot. Eat with seeded, dark bread
- bolognese - similar to chilli con carne in many ways (see above) but with peas not red kidney beans, and different herbs/spices.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 01:19:06 PM »

:bouncing: