Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Sertraline experiences anyone?  (Read 4303 times)

Roseneath

Sertraline experiences anyone?
« on: January 09, 2019, 11:26:21 AM »

I number of GPs have advised that I should give Sertraline a go for my health anxiety (One said it is the 'only way you can beat this thing')  which has ramped up during Peri to a stage where I feel it is dominating my life  (Have tried a host of other non chemical routes; CBT/Mindfullness/Diet/Exercise etc) also some HRT (Ellestre Duet) which made it significantly worse.  I am reluctant due to 1) Side effects 2)Becoming dependent on it.  Any personal experiences would be useful. I appreciate we are all different and it is not an exact science. Unfettered views please!

Shadyglade

Re: Sertraline experiences anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 05:19:57 PM »

Did not suit me at all. Had such a bad reaction after only a tablet the GP marked me record as not to be prescribed it again.

Ladybt28

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 06:34:16 PM »

Hi Roseneath, I was on all types of Ad's until 3.5 years ago and had cbt and counselling.  To be honest none of those things did much for me over the years if anything.  I believe I have had hormonal issues since I started my periods at 13 but that's a story which comes with hindsight!  I had 3 days of problems giving them up but I went cold turkey - not to be recommended!  Side effects I suppose some but not major.  AD's just made me completely numb!  I am post meno and during my peri my anxiety and panic attacks and feeling of "doom" were off the scale. I gave up all my AD's after many, many years and now that my hrt is the right regime for me my anxiety (95% of the time) and panic have all gone and so have the being scared of my shadow, waking up feeling sick and the "doom".

Dr's love to give AD's to menopausal women, there are plenty of comments on here about it.  Remind us if you can, where you are in your menopause and are you on hrt? 

jaypo

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 06:57:49 PM »

Hi there,was ok for 3 days,then the nausea was too much to bear
My dr more or less said it's the only one that would suit but I can't believe that tbh,anyway I just stopped taking them much to my drs disgust
Good luck roseneath

Ladybt28

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 07:07:01 PM »

AD's are like any meds, Jaypo, some suit and some don't.  Hubby got given Prozac at one point - wow that was a big no no! so he is on citalopram and has been a while... no problems after the first week when he was nauseous and saw flowers growing up the wall....in the bedroom!! and no we don't have flowery wallpaper  ???  I have had at least 4 types in the past and some made me "dream" more than others and some made me feel sick when I started them.  Your GP's a bit rubbish if she only thinks there is one that would suit you, there are loads available.  First 2 weeks can be horrible and then it is a bit like hrt, conventional wisdom says AD's should kick in properly by the end of 4 weeks although if you want to change them you should leave a month in between one and another. Well that's what I found because you don't know whether you still have the old one in your body that doesn't suit or if its the "first 2 weeks" of the new one.

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 07:28:08 PM »

Yeah I know ladybt,I've heard it suits a lot of people,just not me.
My gp was just ticked at me as I stopped them & not stuck it out so basically said that that was all she could give me 🤬 must've been the mood she was in 😆

Shadyglade

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 07:31:55 PM »

That's not good. You are not obliged to accept any treatment your doctor advises Unfortunately a lot of doctors don't like it.

Knockmany

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 08:21:20 PM »

Hi Roseneath. I am currently taking Sertraline for the 2nd time in 3 years. The first time I had no side effects apart from my libido going astray. I was on it for 6 months and came off it no problems. This time I have been on it for 2 months. A week after taking it I had a massive panic attack, I've never had one before, husband thought I was having a heart attack and called an ambulance! I am not sure if it was the sertraline but I think it had something to do with it. I stuck with it and now I do feel better, no side effects that I can see, no more panic or anxiety and my mood is much better. Maybe give it a try, start on a really low dose, and if it doesn't work at least you have tried it.

Roseneath

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 04:55:27 PM »

Thanks Knockmany, that's useful. My GP was adamant that the only main side effect he gets feedback on is the nausea. He also said some people are so anxious about starting them that he thinks that brings extra anxiety on (which I can relate to). So not to over think once I have decided to take them or not.  I would trade nausea for this awful 24/7 anxiety. I have my first visit to a proper Meno clinic on Friday (3 hours each way...) so will wait to see how that goes that probably just take the plunge.

Knockmany

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 08:04:14 PM »

I never had any nausea at all with it. The one thing I am noticing this time is that my hands are shaking ever so slightly. My dad has Parkinson's so this has totally freaked me out but Dr Google says that Anti depressants can cause tremors so I am putting it down to that and trying not to panic (the irony of anti depressants and their worrying side effects  ;D ;D)
Good luck with your appointment!

Roseneath

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 08:43:43 PM »

I was at the GPs recently because I was worried about shakes. I saw two GPs in as many weeks! They both said Anxiety / Hormones.
They said there would be other very clear symptoms as well if it was anything Autoimmune. The problem is when you worry it makes it worse and it can take quite a long time for anxiety to subside. Don't Google!

NaturalMystic

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 08:49:01 PM »

Some people react badly to SSRIs, me included.  You might want to consider the older type of ADs, TRIs

ali 61

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 05:32:47 PM »

I was put on Sertraline a few months ago. I started at 1/2 a tablet (so 25mg) as I always seem to struggle with side effects from most meds.
After about 1 week the nausea was horrendous, but then the anxiety hit. It got quite bad and I actually had a couple of panic attacks.
My GP asked me to persevere, and gave me a very low dose of Lorazepam, just in case of another panic attack. I only had to use it once.
After about Day 17 I suddenly turned the corner. I felt absolutely fine. In fact, I havent felt this good in years. No more anxiety or nausea. And the problems I originally went on it for have also been solved.
I just had to tweak the time of day I take it, as it did give me insomnia at first.
I have stayed at a low dose as I dont need to increase.
So, if at all possible, I would suggest you try and persevere with it for a few weeks. I'm so glad I did.
Best of luck. xx

Roseneath

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 09:04:44 AM »

Thanks ali61. Your post was really useful. It is so easy to give up if medication seems to make things worse, especially if you are feeling fragile already. After my trip to the NHS Meno clinic I think I will give Clonidine a try first. It an alpha agnoist (works via vein widening) rather than an SSRI She thought it would suit me as I also get high blood pressure (on tabs) which the Clonidine may also help with. I think it is more immediate in its effects and she thought it may also help the insomnia if I take it near bedtime.  Will post if I find it useful.

Rosepetal73

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2019, 04:47:41 PM »

I quite like my sertraline  ;D it upsets my stomach a bit and the slight nausea deters me from eating - result,  I feel quite slim.  I'm sure I don't look any different but it has put the brakes on my emotional eating  :D  I am thinking about HRT but i'm not ready to take it yet (I have a fear of breast cancer which started during PND) but I do need something for my mood so for now I will stick a band aid on my mood symptoms and ponder some more.