Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Tips for dealing with cough...  (Read 2736 times)

BlueButterfly

Tips for dealing with cough...
« on: January 08, 2019, 09:31:43 AM »

Anyone have any good home remedies for a lingering cough? Caught the cold cycling around the family...feel fine now but this cough. It is making my throat hurt as well as ribs and stomach muscles. Still have post nasal drip down back of my throat...but let's be honest, that's about always there sick or not.

Most of the time it is a dry cough, sometimes phlegm but I think that's just from the sinus drainage. Been to the doctor, lungs sound clear. No x-ray's but he wanted to give me an antibiotic "just in case" because the cough has kept me up the last few days. No fever or feeling like I can't breathe. I can even exercise. Just an almost constant tickle in the back of my throat that puts me into coughing fits. I seriously feel almost normal but this cough and being exhausted from not sleeping. (Doctor got me over-thinking everything now though.. ..why would he want to prescribe an antibiotic "just in case" when I have no indication of an infection? Did he not tell me something? Seems a bit irresponsible to me) Son had cough for over 2 weeks, got worse than started getting better. Has minor cough a couple times a day now...no more coughing fits. Hoping I'm getting there.

I have prescription nighttime cough medicine now but need something for the day time besides the cough lonzenge I can only use ever couple of hours.

Thanks ladies.

Shadyglade

Re: Tips for dealing with cough...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 09:53:04 AM »

Lemon and honey does it for me.  Plus anti inflammatory pain killers, if persistent. 

Anti histamines can also help, if the cough is mucusy, a it does dry it up. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:55:53 AM by Shadyglade »

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »

Hi BB that tickle can be the tiniest bit of phlegm aggravating your throat,as a pharmacy dispenser a few years back we always said steam inhalation but benylin does a good mixture for mucous,it certainly makes you cough up the stuff

BlueButterfly

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 11:09:27 AM »

Yes I believe it's the phlegm causing the tickle. Deep breaths make the tickle worse so I find myself taking shallow breaths. I will use steam more...excuse for a nice, long, hot shower.  ;)
I will give that medicine a try. I actually might have some (different name-same ingredients).

Yes, think I need the anti-inflammatory pain killers right now...will help with the rib pain! I threw something out with my last coughing fit.  :'(

Honey actually made me cough more yesterday...when taken straight anyways. In a tea it seemed to be okay.

Doctor said my throat was looking "thin" and irritated from the coughing. Just hurts.

Dancing Queen

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 11:21:47 AM »

My neighbour put vicks on her feet when she went to bed...swore it worked! x

BlueButterfly

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 02:33:28 PM »

I've done the Vicks on my feet. I use it with my kids as well. Not touching this cough.  :-\

Doctor is in my head. Would I know if it was pneumonia or bronchitis? I've never had either one. I would hope/think that I would be able to tell if I was coughing stuff out of my lungs vs just sinus drainage down my throat but then....I don't know. He said all I had to do was call in for the antibiotics, no visit needed. But I've reacted to 3 antibiotics at this point in my life and don't want to take them unless it is absolutely necessary. Could they have missed anything with just listening to my lungs? Could they sound clear but still have issues?

Cassie

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 02:49:33 PM »

I picked up an upper respiratory type infection, I can always feel it coming starts with a tickle but down the side of my throat and a day or 2 later the tightness in my throat becomes  phlegmy. The cough was so bad but it was almost like an allergy although it was from the upper resp tract infection, it was a constant tickle.  I coughed that I would gag it went on for almost 3 weeks. I was wheezing so badly but in my throat not in my chest I began to think I had asthma but it was a reaction I think to the phlegm in the side of my throat. Eventually saw the GP gave me some cortisone tablets and it cleared up immediately was scary at times the way I was wheezing on the one side of my throat never experienced anything like it.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 03:32:26 PM »

I don't take ABs 'in case'.  If my chest was crackling then I might consider going to the GP.

The persistent hacking cough that I started with at the end of October has now gone unless I step into cold air.  It's a virus that is working it's way out.

BlueButterfly

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 03:51:03 PM »

Yes I think it's this nasty virus going around. My mother, sister had it...sore throat for like a day, minor cold stuff....cough for weeks. MIL had it as well since before Christmas...still dealing with it.  Son just getting over it but still coughing sometimes. His started around Christmas. I think I've only had it a week or so. Mine just seems....worse I guess? Had to use inhaler today. Chest/breast bone area was feeling heavy and tight like someone sitting on me or squeezing. Still there but much better. I hate using it because I don't want to open my lungs up to more mess....or mask if something bad is going on. No signs of a fever. Temp is all over the place during the day...from slightly elevated to normal or slightly below. Never stays in one place long. Hard to go by if I have chills or sweats as I normally have ups and downs of that during the day during the cold months. Can't ever seem to keep my body temp regulated in the winter. Oh I miss a warmer climate right now! I think some clean air, warmer temps and lots of sunshine could do me some good right now.  :'(

I'm glad your cough is finally starting to go CLKD. I hope this one doesn't last so long with me.

BlueButterfly

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 06:59:33 AM »

I pulled a muscle in my abdomen! Oh my gosh it hurts! I cough, I sit up, doing nothing even.....I can feel it. I was just sitting wrong when I coughed and doomed.  :'(  I hope it heals quickly

suziq99

• GBX Marine
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 05:54:49 PM »

I found using a nasal wash ( netti pot) works wonders for shifting the catarrh and hence stopping the cough. No chemicals other than salt & use distilled or boiled water. Worth a try.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 06:11:20 PM »

It settled until today when I had a spasm mid-morning.  Better again.

I have used high dose magnesium which relaxes the cough reflex, however, it also relaxes other muscles  >:(

Conolly

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 06:25:51 PM »

Hello ladies,

Nasal wash with netti pot is better with sodium bicarbonate, kitchen salt can raise your BP. Great stuff.

I had adult onset asthma and had to use inhalers. My asthma is very mild right now but I keep the salbutamol inhaler at hand. I noticed that when post nasal drip is really bad at night and triggers coughing, one puff of salbutamol is enough to cut it immediately.

Conolly X