Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ive only gone and joined up!!!!  (Read 20433 times)

Aby123

• First Flush
Ive only gone and joined up!!!!
« on: January 03, 2019, 06:24:20 AM »

Oh blimey....
Im 56, and Ive joined the local Couch to 5K group! 
It doesnt start until 21st January, but Im already panicing.  Ive joined a session that runs on a monday morning, so Im hoping there will be some other old codgers like me!!!
Im also,starting Tai Chi too next week.
I figure I have got to try to do something to get me out of this malaise and health anxiety cycle....so here goes.  Ive got to make myself do it....and now I have said it here....it has to be  :D

Anyone else made any any rash decisions  :'(

Dancinggirl

Re: Ive only gone and joined up!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 08:06:53 AM »

Good for you. You are not ‘rash', you are being proactive. If you don't try, you'll never conquer your problems. I think you've chosen good activities as well - one that will trigger the good endorphins and the other to relax and calm.

If the running doesn't suit you, then try Nordic walking as this is brilliant.
Joining a group that walks or runs is so great as there will be a social element to it as well.

My hubby and I are actually planning to move to a house that needs renovation. This would free up
Money to hopefully buy a small house for our son who has special needs and give a deposit to our daughter when she's ready.

Keep Us posted about your progress. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:16:10 AM »

Make sure that it is correct Nordic walking, the number of people we see that haven't a clue how to use the poles correctly  ::)

:medal:  once the shock wears off you may enjoy it  ;)

Dancing Queen

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 11:14:31 AM »

Good for you Aby, It will probably be hard at first but you will feel so much better after a while. You will all be in the same boat so it will be a great sharing experience. It`s not rash just go for it! I chucked my job of 20 years in yesterday... now THAT`S rash!!  :o xx

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 02:04:04 PM »

Oh no it wasn't DQ  ;) ...........

Roseneath

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 04:23:16 PM »

Aby123 -  You have inspired me! I have just signed up for Pilates at my local gym. Instead of worrying about my creaking joints and weak muscle tone I am going to do something about it.  I also bought a Ukulele a few months ago and are trying to play ' Somewhere over the Rainbow. This version by Isreal Kamakawiwoole is beautiful.

Small steps in the right direction this year for me and trying not to have too high expectations.

https://ukutabs.com/i/israel-kamakawiwoole/somewhere-over-the-rainbow-what-a-wonderful-world/

NaturalMystic

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 07:23:12 PM »

I'm starting swimming with some colleagues next Monday and just signed up for Spanish lessons where I work (I work at a uni so i get the fee waived)

I am also 16 months a non smoker 😉

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 08:11:45 PM »

Apparently Pilates can cause wind  :o  :-X

Lanzalover

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 07:34:00 AM »

Good luck to you all in your new ventures

I just don't have the time between work and looking after grandchildren but when I retire I do have plans but knowing my luck I'll probably be roped in to full time childcare never mind it is form of excercise running around after small children !!!

Perhaps I should just go abroad for six months a year now that's a much more interesting thought 🌞

Lanzalover x

JaneinPen

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 09:13:53 AM »

Well done ladies.  DQ. I had to use trekking poles for quite a few months last year because of my back. It was the only way I could manage to walk. I used to feel silly at first and did get a few odd looks but interestingly I have seen more and more people using them for their daily constitutional.  I walk locally and the dog walkers all got to know me when I was struggling and would call out lovely comments on my progress. I can now manage a walk in the morning without them but still use them in the afternoon as they really do work the muscles in the upper back and make you walk upright

Roseneath

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 03:39:53 PM »

Why not joint the ' Keeping no balls in the air ' juggling club with me jaypo. Current membership 1.

You just need three round objects (satsumas are good) and a you tube video like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCt1bmSASCI

I am still on the one ball but this is my current ' go to' when I am in an anxiety spin.
I will keep at this until I have at least three balls in the air.

I've joined a choir although I can't sing. The ladies there are lovely and welcoming. I look forward to the sessions as I don't worry for 2 hours. I think it doesn't really matter what you sign up to, it give you a boost just having done something different. I tiny glint of the ' old me' back. (Reality check: Aside from the times I cry off because I can't face going...). But something has to be better than nothing.

I read this quote in a book today and it rang a bell with me:

Slowly, ever so slowly I break a hole in my fear, allowing other noises to break in'.

That is what I am aiming for this year. Just some tiny pin holes every now and again.

Roseneath

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 06:10:57 PM »

That's great. I have a one ball juggling buddy! Just to pace ourselves....I am giving myself a month to learn to juggle with 3 balls.
I think you just need to go 10 minutes a day and be patient, keep going. My first few days were pretty bad.  It's good for co-ordination though. My husband think I'm potty.  Beats Googling Involuntary Jaw Clicking though ...Good luck!

LuLu71

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 01:23:16 AM »

Oh blimey....
Im 56, and Ive joined the local Couch to 5K group! 
It doesnt start until 21st January, but Im already panicing.  Ive joined a session that runs on a monday morning, so Im hoping there will be some other old codgers like me!!!
Im also,starting Tai Chi too next week.
I figure I have got to try to do something to get me out of this malaise and health anxiety cycle....so here goes.  Ive got to make myself do it....and now I have said it here....it has to be  :D

Anyone else made any any rash decisions  :'(

Hi Aby, just wondering if you ended up trying Tai Chi and if so, what did you think of it? I am thinking about trying it out myself because I've heard only good things...

heavenlyblue

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 02:54:43 PM »

Good for you.  Be lovely to make new friends as well. x

I re-joined David Lloyds at Christmas, not quite gone to plan as I have a shoulder injury but as soon as that is better, they have amazing dance classes there that I cannot wait to get stuck into!  At the moment, I just do treadmill and bike which is not very exciting but better than nothing.

LuLu71

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 11:47:38 AM »

Heavenlyblue, that's great you are on the treadmill and bike. Sorry to hear about your shoulder injury. Does your shoulder feel okay after exercising with this equipment? I ask because I live with chronic whiplash and when it was really tender I found the treadmill made it worse. However, I was really gripping the bars and therefore tensing my shoulders and neck...

I found an excellent yogi on You Tube. Her name is Adriene and she has a wide selection of various yoga programs for beginners to experts and I can't believe how much my neck, shoulders, feet and body in general have been feeling just 6 weeks later. Anyway, just thought I'd mention this because yoga seems very restorative for the body.

Good luck to you and I hope your injury heals quickly.
Pages: [1] 2