Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: endometrial biopsy instead of hysteroscopy  (Read 1566 times)

Rose B

endometrial biopsy instead of hysteroscopy
« on: December 31, 2019, 02:53:50 PM »

I was referred for a hysteroscopy by my HRT consultant, after a recent pelvic ultrasound showed endometrium thickness of 7mm.

I've been for my appointment this morning, and was given an endometrial biopsy (by pippete?)instead of a hysteroscopy. The way the Dr described it made it sound like it basically does the same thing, but less invasive (and painful).

Now I'm wondering whether it is? I realise the biopsy bit would be the same, but I haven't had a camera take a look inside my uterus, which was what my consultant asked for. 

The reason for all of it is regular post menopausal spotting, and have been told most likely because I'm using a natural progesterone. But best to check.

On plus side, minimal discomfort and cramps

Anyone had similar experience?

PinkPepsi

Re: endometrial biopsy instead of hysteroscopy
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 05:15:31 PM »

Hi Rose B,

I had an endometrial biopsy in November without a hystoscopey
My lining was 6.5mm and I was told it was done this way because the scan showed no polyps etc so they did it this was as it was less invasive.
Hope that helps.

Rose B

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 07:54:59 PM »

Hi Pink Pepsi

Thats both helpful and reassuring, thanks!

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 05:39:01 PM »

Hi Rose B

In any case just to add that the biopsy is the important part anyway as it tests whether there are any abnormal cells - either hyperplasia or cancer ( unlikely!) whereas this can't be determined from a hysteroscopy alone. I would be pleased to have one (biopsy) to ensure all was well (I was given both).

Do let us know?

Hurdity x

Rose B

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 09:21:36 AM »

Thanks Hurdity.

Have now had results and no abnormal cells.  Which is obviously good news.

Assume I will now carry on with my HRT as usual.  (My 2 month telephone follow up appointment wasnt made, and despite making several phone calls and emails, haven't yet been able to sort this out.  C&W and new computer system!!!)

suzysunday

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 10:59:52 AM »

Hi Rose B.  Glad it's good news for you.  Regarding follow up appointments, when I was going through similar, the system was a puzzle.  I just kept persevering and pestering (in a polite way)! X

Rose B

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 04:42:59 PM »

Update  Finally spoken to my C&W consultant this afternoon.  She wasn't impressed that I had had an unguided biopsy instead of a hysteroscopy.  Said my result should be OK, but if I had more bleeding, she would request a hysteroscopy. 

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 05:48:28 PM »

Thanks for the update. Yes I understand that - the biopsy needs a camera to look around and if necessary snip the tissue from any but that looks abnormal or thick - otherwise I presume it was just taken from anywhere - without a camera? Hopefully the bleeding will not return....

Hurdity x

suzysunday

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 06:17:50 PM »

Yes, hope you are ok and all the best to you x

Rose B

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 08:13:54 PM »

Thanks for your replies.

Have been getting regular spotting, so guess that I will end up going back at some point.  Of course, 'that's if I report it 😙😊