Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Help over thinking swallowing  (Read 2781 times)

Roseneath

Help over thinking swallowing
« on: December 28, 2018, 04:43:51 AM »

I'm struggling tonight and now its 4am. My mouth keep filling up with saliva and I have to swallow it. It;s like it won't go away unless I do. I have been lying awake all night worrying about swallowing. I feel like I'm going mad. Husband fed up with me. :'(

Taz2

Re: Help over thinking swallowing
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 06:10:41 AM »

Sorry you've been having a bad night roseneath. Do you suffer from acid reflux/heartburn? This is one of the classic symptoms. It's not painful. It's called water brash I think.

Taz x

AgathaC

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 07:03:11 AM »

Roseneath - I sent you a PM. Reading your posts over the past few days, I think you've got to a stage where I get to periodically - absolute rock bottom, health anxiety out of control, literally don't know what to do with yourself anymore, up at night, overthinking everything. I don't want to dismiss any symptoms but I know (because I've been doing it this week) how easy it is to fall into a spiral of completely fixating on every feeling in your body. It's a kind of hyper responsibility where I'm terrified that I might “miss something”. I'm terrible at taking my own advice but you need to break the cycle and add in something new. Do you have any books on health anxiety? I've got some good ones and I will send you the titles. For about two months last year I had one in my handbag and read it most days. You'll be surprised when you read it how much you'll say “I do that!” I've got to go to my office now so no time to write more but I just wanted to say I understand your feelings of panic and desperation. I have been there so many times. I've not conquered it yet but I'm trying my best to learn to live with it and to get used to my “new normal”. Lots of love to you Roseneath xx

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 08:57:32 AM »

Hi Roseneath
I get that too some nights. It wakes me up, and I just have to keep swallowing and swallowing, but it doesn't go, sometimes a couple sips of some kind of pop helps, but water doesn't help at all. It's like our swallowing reflex goes into over drive.
I can also get a drip down the throat too, which wakes me up coughing.
Maybe it's allergies, because just lately when I wake up , I'm coughing, sneezing, nose running, the whole lot, and I've never been like it before.
I'm even starting to question if I'm allergic to our dog, because something is triggering it.

I don't think there's anything you can do about it except wait until the saliva and the swallowing reflex dies down. I know it's a pain, but don't panic, it'll make it worse, the more you swallow the more you'll want to do it.
I suppose you could try eating a plain biscuit, just to try and get the saliva to calm down.
But I suppose in the middle of the night , that's not really easy.

Roseneath

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 11:04:38 AM »

Hi Ladies. Just a bit of an update. I went to the GP today to talk over my latest round of health anxiety issues (tingling in feet, muscle cramps, twitching and the latest compulsive swallowing!). He gave me a lot of time and listened to my huge list. Told me it is certainly all down to anxiety and the heightened awareness it gives to normal body functions. I am going to give it a few days then try the Sertraline in a half dose.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 11:10:15 AM »

..... and breath?   Try singing.  It makes the person breath correctly as hurried, shallow breathing can cause anxiety.  Walking briskly in sunshine can help too.

I have excessive saliva today.  OK when upright.  I do have reflux at times too.

Milamam

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 02:34:34 PM »

Hi,
I had excess saliva and constant swallowing when I was on estrogen. Aparently, I think, the estrogen dose was too high for that particular time of my peri. Excess saliva is also very common in pregnancy. Are you on a high dose of estrogen?

I remember I had to walk to places with a tissue in my hand so that I can spit in secret (gross, I know) ...

It will pass. It wasn't constant for me.

Please don't worry.
Milamam

jgr

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 09:22:34 PM »

I have this excessive saliva at the moment. Had it for a couple of weeks now and it is really annoying. If i chew chewing gum it settles a lot. I try not to focus on it but my anxieties get out of control from time to time. as soon as one health worry goes another one come along. I thought when you get out the other end of the menopause things improved. :(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2019, 08:28:58 AM »

Chewing usually stimulates saliva production : it's Nature's way of aiding food transit   ........ do you have reflux?  That's when I suddenly get lots of saliva ........