Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Walking Therapy  (Read 7926 times)

EnglishRose

Walking Therapy
« on: December 06, 2018, 10:47:10 PM »

You talk to a therapist and you walk in rural locations. Getting out and about is good for the mind and body but doing it alone or even with your dogs takes more motivation than I can muster most days recently.
I found a hypnotherapist who does home visits and these walking sessions.
I'm meeting HRT tomorrow to do the introduction and evaluation and then we start the walking sessions. I'd love to do it every day but at £50 an hour it's more than I can afford to “hire a friend”
I'm wondering if there are local walking groups just to get me out of the house...
I've also got in touch with a more traditional therapist who does home visits as the whole “hypno” thing is not something I have much faith in.
She lives in my town too so .. time will tell.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Walking Therapy
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 01:06:43 PM »

Our Council has a 'walk for life' group guided by a leader, they meet outside the supermarket at the same time every week.  Maybe look at your Council web-site, ours has a volunteering area which may be a starting point.  Or your GP surgery or local Facebook?  Local running group may have a link to walkers or the local Ramblers Group always welcome newbies.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:38:47 AM by Emma »

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »

There's an online meet-up site,it covers all areas and you can even start one in your area xx

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 02:32:16 PM »

Save your money ER and buy yourself a fitbit charge you'll get much more benefit from that it nags you to death to get up and active and achieve those steps every single day and it becomes such a challenge to you that it motivates you to try your damdest to do it.i went from just over 300 steps a day after an accident to now anywhere between 6000 and 14000 each day.i used it for physio but now never go anywhere without it.it encourages me so much to keep active and got me well when I thought nothing could ever help me.i also recommend you buy Dr Rangan Chatterjees book The 4 Pillar Plan. on Amazon on offer just now. itll change your whole thought process he's a breath of fresh air in today's fast buck society I wish I could bottle him.its a beautiful book and so easy to read and digest.all absolute common sense approaches to everyday health. have a look.DD😘
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:19:56 AM by Emma »

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 02:47:47 PM »

Walks for Health via the Council are free - Ramblers means that one is in safe company  ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:25:39 AM by Emma »

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 02:56:43 PM »

I'm not talking about walks costing money  im talking about costly therapists.go on Google and find local walking groups as suggested and use your fitbit or your phone or a pedometer and it'll encourage you to be active and the company will do you more good than any therapy.DD😘

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 03:17:26 PM »

I paid for my therapy in the 1990s - £75.00 per hour-ish - and it was worth every penny until I got back on my feet.  Once I began to feel better I was walking 2/3 miles twice a day which really helped me get away from people.  Until then, my DH walked the  :scottie: when I wasn't able to leave the house.  Now I need to walk more but lack motivation  ::)

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 03:33:01 PM »

Once I began to feel better I was walking 2/3 miles twice a day which really helped me get away from people. 
Why did you feel the need to get away from people did the walking not help build up your confidence by just saying good morning or hello so it would then become something to look forward to rather than the 4 walls? Would you not be able to do dog walking for maybe elderly neighbours now to help your motivation.i must admit I don't miss that side of losing my dog I hated the all weather walks and I admire people who brave the elements for their pets.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 03:51:14 PM »

I have never lacked confidence - where did you get that idea from  :-\.  I was depressed. 

For 10 years I did that: looked after various pets for people, now we are retired we aren't here often enough to take on added responsibility.

I don't like people.  Much  :D

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 02:57:41 PM »

Any exercise is better than nowt.  Running up and down stairs counts  ;)

We've had a short brisk walk most days since 1 Jan., also round our garden in short bursts.  We have a tread mill .......... Note to Self ;-)

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 04:36:01 PM »

We are lucky to have plenty of different walks within a hour's road trip.  Locally: woods, foot paths through fields or round the village pathways.  Dunstable Down and Iveinghoe Beacon.  Tring Reservoirs.  Cotswolds within an hour 10 mins.  Mam Tor - 2 hours 10 mins. door to car park.  As well as plenty of canal paths but they tend to be a bit straight and one has to return the same way, I prefer a 'round' walk.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 10:52:48 AM »

sparkle - I did the same after my spaniel was pts in 2002.  Borrowed the neighbour's puppy, it took 14 months to shed the weight that I had gained as my old lady slowed down  ::).  In the 1980s/90s I would be walking 4-5 miles most days, now I hardly do that in a week  :-\ Note to Self!  :kick:

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 04:40:23 PM »

It wasn't all in one go unless we were in the Lakes on holiday.  Nor in the Winter months, a quick whizz round the fields had to do unless it was dry.  I would be out of the door with  :scottie: by 8.30 a.m., again mid-afternoon for an hour and again in the evenings when we would pack up a picnic twice a week, drive somewhere like Ivinghoe Beacon and Set Off.  I was 30 years younger though  ;D

Emma

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 12:48:54 PM »

A Morning Walk May Be as Good as Medication for Lowering Blood Pressure

Exercise isn't just great for the heart, light exercise could also reverse the effects of sedentary behaviour on the brain, by improving blood flow. Regular exercise has been linked to a lower risk of dementia too.

Exercise and a better heart - the drop in blood pressure from regularly moving was greater in women than men. Older women tend to already be at higher risk for cardiovascular problems, due to being post-menopausal, so any improvements in cardiovascular function could be more dramatic for them.

The take-home message is simple: Get up and walk around whenever you can, especially if you're not very active already.

Full article at: Gizmodo

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 08:48:33 PM »

This is what Facebook is good for too – we have a local Facebook walking group – and they take it in turns to make a picnic or nominate somewhere to go for cake afterwards.
My friends in Derby began a walking/cake eating group. It started with just two of them and now they have lots of members.
I belong to a London walking group called CLOG (Central London Walking Group). I have also been taking part in a local walking challenge set up by  our MP in January. I have been counting steps since then. I have already walked the equivalent of over 80 miles this month (combination of daily walking during the week and longer weekend walks). The longest was 13 miles. It is my favourite form of exercise.
Pages: [1] 2