Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Soya isoflavones  (Read 2209 times)

Sulfate

Soya isoflavones
« on: December 01, 2018, 10:08:31 AM »

Hi ladies, do any of you take Soya isoflavones?if so how effective are they for menopausal symptoms?

jillydoll

• Hiya
Re: Soya isoflavones
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 07:25:15 PM »

Don't know Sulfate,
But hang on, someone will post soon who has some information on them.😉

And  :welcomemm:.....

AG

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 10:51:26 AM »

Hi Sulfate

I have been taking some menopace tablets (every other day since a few months ago) and drink a small glass of soy milk most days as my GP advised it could help with my likely late stage peri menopause symptoms (nearly 49y). By far the most efficient way for me to keep symptoms at bay (at least for a day or so) is exercise (I run three times a week if I can, some weight training) and brisk walking, and I have cut down on caffeine considerably. From my experience isoflavones may have some effect, and may work for some women but I have not ruled out HRT for next year if things get any worse. If may be worth a try and may work for you. Anna

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 11:19:12 AM »

I take high dose Red Clover (Premensil) - it's expensive but when I dropped my daily dose I did find my flushes were worse.  I still get flushes - only HRT will really have an impact on flushes  - but I believe Red Clover can be helpful for bones and heart.  I also have soya milk on my cereal each day.  DG x

Sulfate

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 09:05:36 PM »

Thanks for your replies   :) Does the menopause cause extreme tiredness and low mood?

Shadyglade

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 09:29:05 PM »

During peri I used to get crushing fatigue. It got very bad in the last 2 year. The worst time was when menstruating to the point where I thought I might laint.

crazycatlady

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 01:20:38 PM »

I'm vegetarian & eat a fair amount of soya, seeds, nuts & pulses.
I don't keep a mood or food or hot flush diary though so don't know whether there's any correlation. Over the last week, since joining the forum, I've been thinking more about how I'm taking control of my body/symptoms, and I've been eating healthier (including more of the foods listed above) and I am much better now than I was before. But it's not enough evidence to draw on to come to a firm conclusion.
If I remember rightly, the scientific evidence suggests that around a third or half of women might benefit from isoflavones and similar? I suppose you can't know whether you're in which half of the population until you've tried! Good luck  :)

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2018, 05:49:40 PM »

Hello ladies.

I think absolutely everything is worth a try but as I eat nothing but plants and achieve 8, 000 brisk steps per day I'm beginning to wonder what else I can do regarding diet and exercise. Open to suggestions though!

Take care everyone.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 06:36:29 PM »

Hi Sulfate

I just commented on one of your other threads - mentioing blood tests and HRT.

I took Black Cohosh in early-mid peri-menopause - and I thought it worked but actually it was my own hormone coming and going. Really as I said on the other thread HRT is the best treatment (provided there is no medical reason for you not to take it) - as well as a good diet and exercise regime to build up your general health.

Better to take the HRT sooner rather than later while you are still in the "window of opportunity" (under 60 or within 10 years of menopause) and you can always take the soya isoflavones etc later when you are older - and maybe if you stopped HRT - like Dancinggirl is doing.

Hurdity x

Sally S

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 07:12:55 PM »

Three months ago, I started taking a high strength soya isoflavone supplement, along with various other supplements and as Hurdity said, I don't know whether it's my hormones sorting themselves out or whether these supplements along with my vegetarian diet (lots of tofu) have helped.  All I know is that I've suffered on and off with crashing tiredness, low mood, sinus issues for the past four years, but, as from the 16th November (I can name the date!!!) I have felt a lot more energetic, returned to exercise classes - I do two, back to back, I don't feel too tired after work or after a late night out!  I am really hoping this continues but if it doesn't then i would consider HRT as I am only 45 but only have extremely light and short regular periods.  I think looking at our diets is very important.  I don't touch alcohol, I've also reduced sugar and drink loads of milky coffee to help bone strength. Who knows-maybe these supplements are doing something :jiggy: xx