Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: I have to take Omeprazole. Any positive stories?  (Read 12099 times)

Taz2

I have to take Omeprazole. Any positive stories?
« on: November 26, 2018, 09:02:42 AM »

I have to take Omeprazole as my recent endoscopy led to diagnosis of acid reflux from a recently developed hiatus hernia. I've read a lot about the bad side of taking a PPI but really have no choice due to patches of ulceration in the oesophagus caused by the acid. I have lost a male friend fairly recently to oesophageal cancer and another two who are in remission so I know how important it is to heal the patches.

I should have begun them a week ago but am still dithering due to a silly fear I've had for all of my adult life of developing diarrhoea especially when, at work, there is only one adult loo for all staff. I have obviously read all of the side effects and it doesn't seem to matter to me that 9 in 10 people don't suffer diarrhoea as a side effect - of course I concentrate on the 1 in 10 who do! The other problem is the fact that low stomach acid means less disinfectant to protect against stomach bugs and working in a school this is a common occurrence.

It's been a busy couple of weeks with family meals and parties plus lots of out of school trips so there didn't seem a "safe" time to start them. I have a meeting today - only twenty miles away - but that's causing me to worry! I'm so annoyed with myself for being a wimp in this way and the endoscopy team were not very happy when they called for an update last week. Anyone have anything positive to say before I down this first one? 

Taz x  :(

Sweetscarlett

Re: I have to take Omeprazole. Any positive stories?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 09:52:56 AM »

Hi Taz2
I have been on omeprazole for about 4 years. I got acid reflux during my peri menopause and it was agony! Burning sensation down my throat - horrible, these tablets have been great I can't say anything bad about them, they helped me when nothing else did.

Today I still have really bad flare ups usually when I'm stressed. My gp says there are many rumours flying around about the pros and cons of these tablets, but when you are in agony they really work. Luckily I'm ok atm so I have been able to ditch them and take them only on a need to have basis.

I would say take them until you feel better then keep them as a standby. I also swear by peppermint tea. As for your diarrhoea issue I have had no problems.
❤️Ss x
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 09:55:00 AM by Sweetscarlett »

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:13:32 AM »

Thank you Sweetscarlett. As you say there are issues around these tablets but the outcome if I don't take them is worse.

I have to take them for six weeks and then go back for a further endoscopy. This is because, although I tolerated one five years ago really well, this time I couldn't stand it for long enough for the biopsies to be taken. They want to calm down the ulceration before trying again. I'm really lucky in that we have a good endoscopy suite as part of our local GP surgery but they can't carry out sedation. They would be happy to try again in six weeks but I think I am going to opt for sedation this time. I don't want to be unable to tolerate it for long enough again and waste everyone's time. I think the problem was with the mouth guard. They only had ordinary size ones whereas, last time, I needed a child's size. They don't carry all sizes due to financial cutbacks and I didn't think to ask for one beforehand.

Thanks for your comment it's been really useful.

Taz x  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 10:41:22 AM »

Taking PPIs fro a short time 6-12 weeks won't do that much damage.  The side effect that I hated was ‘wind' - very embarrassing.  I also developed diverticulitis because my digestive transit speed up so much and food wasn't being digested properly.

There are different types of PPIs and did better on Lasamprozole (wrong spelling I'm sure).  Once things have settled you may be Abel to do without them by chaining your diet.  Dg x

Dancing Queen

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 11:06:28 AM »

My OH has been taking them for about 3 years ... so do quite a few other people I know. He`s had no side effects and they`ve changed his life - he used to start choking in the middle of meals and rush to the loo and be sick..not nice for any of us. But he`s fine now. Are they doing him any good long term? Probably not but his quality of life now is what matters to him and at 75 reckons it`s worth it. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 11:26:40 AM »

It's not like you to worry!

Dr James le Fanu in the Daily Telegraph points out that taken long-term, this particularly medication can alter the acid in the gut so that the tablets no longer have good effect.  There has to be acid in order to break down food, maybe read Michael Moseley's book, he describes transit really well.

However: like anything, taken under supervision and for a short-while to see if there is healing, should be beneficial for your digestive tract.  Why not begin them on a Friday so that you can be near a 'loo at the weekend?  You may find that your bowel action alters but not significantly.  How much of that will be because you are worried that your bowels will loosen?

If I am on the Motorway and my bowel suddenly clenches, panic sets in  :'( because a) I don't want to stop at a Service Station: I HATE them, why can't the loos be close to the car park! and b) I daren't move in case my bowel lets go B4 I get to the loo  >:(.  It's never happened.  But!

Endoscopy is not something I would ever want to face  :-\ so well done!  Also the Staff see more people than we do with these conditions so if you have discussed your worries, they should be able to reassure you.   :bighug:

jaypo

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 02:07:10 PM »

I also take omeprazole but just as & when,they've never given me diarrhoea & like dancinggirl I too have diverticulitis so if anyone could get the runs with them it would be me 🤨
Good luck

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 06:15:45 PM »

the hernia was a real surprise as there wasn't one there when I had an endoscopy three years ago. I had to have one then due to unexplained anaemia and they wanted to check for bleeding. I went to see the doc this time as I had a teeny bit of heartburn and had two episodes of waking up in the night choking on the acid. I didn't find the procedure too bad last time but this time as soon as they put the mouth guard I started retching. It was nothing to do with the gastroscope - it was the guard. We decided to keep going but I couldn't stop retching and then felt like I was going to choke on what was coming up into my mouth so it was stopped. It may be that a smaller mouth guard will be ok but I've phoned them today to ask for a referral to the hospital for sedation.

The first ten days after the endoscopy I felt horrible. So much heartburn and taste of acid in my mouth with regurgitation too which I'd never had so I can only assume that the procedure upset things. Maybe all that retching didn't help. ;D.

Thanks for the advice Sparkle about diet. I'm not that keen on meat anyway but wine and chocolate... that's a different story! I went out for family meal on Saturday and had wine together with a pudding of chocolate torte (too rich to finish it). Later that night we went to the pub and I had more wine and crisps - totally forgetting that it might not agree with me - but had no problems at all. The endoscopy nurse said that the Omeprazole will "change your life and you'll wonder how you ever managed without it". which was odd as I didn't really have much bother apart from a burning in the oesphagus when I drank hot drinks.

Obviously I have to get the oesophagus healed and the biopsies taken (fingers crossed there's nothing else going on) but I really hope that I wont have to take them for too long. First one tomorrow.

CLKD - thanks for the Friday tip but we have had such a lot on over the past few weekends I haven't been able to do that. I am a wimp when it comes to taking anything. I can advise everyone else but can't do it myself  ;D

Thanks for all of your help ladies.

Taz x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 09:07:32 PM »

I think it must be from the oesophagus as the instructions are that I am NOT to stop PPI's before the next endoscopy which does go against normal procedure.

I don't have a problem with wine - it's just hot drinks which are uncomfortable and also I did have a feeling like a lump in my throat when I ate bread or meat. That's feeling much better now. Obviously if I'd already started the PPI I would be telling everyone how wonderfully it was working  ;D

Dancing Queen - that must have been so horrible for your poor OH. I'm pleased that the medication helped him.

Taz x

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 09:51:59 AM »

I was on it recently and had no issues at all with it and I'm usually one if life's sensitive wee flowers lol.
I took along with antibiotics on the triple therapy regime for hpylori and I'm happy to say I took 2 daily for week one then one daily for week 2 then I reduced to alternate days 1 daily and im fine with that.im now working on building my gut flora again because of the triple therapy and im using bone broth and i also take the skin off the chicken and put in a blender / soup maker with the stick and veg and it makes a beautiful soup which helps heal my gut as hpylori causes ulcers.i also make cabbage water which I drink a couple if times a day again to heal the gut and that could be why I've made a good recovery after this triple therapy.😘DD

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 12:03:22 PM »

Did U decide yet ?

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2018, 02:21:39 PM »

Yes I did it!  ;D

Day four today. It's given me some nausea but not too bad and a background headache but so far only the usual 'morning rush' IBS. Bizarrely it's increased the hiccuping I sometimes get after meals which I was told was due to the acid and hernia. Throat feels more comfortable when I eat and drink so hopefully it's working.

Thanks so much for all of your support and for not making feel daft to worry.

Taz  :thankyou:

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2018, 03:08:30 PM »

No one is daft on here, nor is anything too much information  ;)

Do you eat little and often?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:48:31 PM by CLKD »

jaypo

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2018, 04:42:43 PM »

No one is daft on here, not is anything too much information  ;)

Do you eat little and often?
I'm a little bit daft btw 🤪

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2018, 05:31:29 PM »

How daft  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5