Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: UTIs and Estring _ any connection?  (Read 960 times)

Joaniepat

UTIs and Estring _ any connection?
« on: November 12, 2018, 08:30:06 PM »

Has anyone ever come across a link between the Estring vaginal ring and UTIs?

I have had a UTI for about a week and a half. Culture of the urine sample shows it is E. coli. I was prescribed a 7 day course of Nitrofurantoin and saw some improvement after 2 days (urine no longer cloudy and less burning) but symptoms then returned the following day. I went back to the GP this evening and have now got Co-Amoxiclav.

Thinking laterally, the GP wonders if my Estring might have become colonized by E. coli, which might explain why symptoms improved briefly and then returned. He is going to ask another GP at the practice who does their women's health stuff, but I know she doesn't have much (if any) experience of the Estring, apart from having removed mine a couple of times as I am unable to do it myself. I do not have any symptoms of BV at the moment, there is no odour and I am no more sore than usual. I use Multigyn Actigel a couple of times a week.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

JP x

Dancinggirl

Re: UTIs and Estring _ any connection?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 08:48:24 PM »

I doubt very much it's the Estring at fault. The bacteria is more likely to come from your bowel. If they do a swab from the vagina this could show if E coli is present and BV can easily take hold in the vagina at any time.
Multi Gyn is great at preventing and treating BV.
Do drink enough water - avoid sugar and fruit juices. DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 09:04:37 PM »

If the e-string was contaminated prior to being inserted, then yes, it could be the cause.  I would get it out and clear the system of bugs.

A friend had a pace maker removed due to persistent bacterial infections, yep, the piece itself was covered!  Rare but it happens.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 12:24:28 AM »

E.coli is the most common cause of UTI so it's reassuring you have a 'normal' type of infection. Hope you soon feel better. I found co-amoxiclav much more effective than the others. Keep up the fluid intake.

Taz x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 07:11:09 AM »

The Estring is not a fixed thing - you can take it out, clean it and put it back in. When I used the Esring I did tend to get a bit of thrush so I used to clean it quite regularly and put a good dose of Multu Gyn up inside to stop thrush and BV developing.
Semen is quite alkaline I believe and this can encourage bacterial growth so it's a good idea to wash the Estring after sex. DG x

Joaniepat

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »

Sorry for the belated thanks for your replies. I have just had a telephone appointment with my own GP, and learnt that the Estring could not have become colonized because it has no threads. Pleased to say the infection has now cleared on the Co-Amoxiclav.
JP x

Robin

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 12:04:20 PM »

Hi JP,

Just seen this thread. Glad you're feeling better and thats good to know re uti as there's not a lot of info on estring x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 01:14:38 PM »

That's good news  :foryou: