Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Utrogestan  (Read 656 times)

Jaki T

Utrogestan
« on: November 15, 2018, 01:33:37 PM »

Hello

I've only taken one Utrogestan 100 so far and don't think I can cope with another one. It made me feel awful, dizzy and a migraine last night.  I get migraines anyway so don't need this every day  :(

I have read these can be a side effect. Anyone else had this after one day?  I've heard that vaginally is less of a problem or may try and go back to cream but that's not been very effective

TIA

Hurdity

Re: Utrogestan
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 02:22:02 PM »

Hi Jaki T

I've never taken utrogestan by mouth for this very reason - it is known to cause side effects in some women when taken in this way which is why vaginal use is recommended.

Even so I do still get side effects as it is absorbed systemically (sometimes after one day) but these are likely to be different from oral side effects. I tend to get progressively foggy headed and tired but it varies from cycle to cycle - sometimes it is not so bad and I actually get used to it. Also I tend to "load" up wuith Vagifem in the week leading up to taking it to plump up my tissues in the hope that less is absorbed!

When you say cream is not very effective - I'm not sure what you mean? Utrogestan is used for endometrial protection as part of HRT. Are you also taking oestrogen and have you been using prog cream to oppose this? I hope your doc did not prescribe this as you could end up with a thickened womb lining if taken for too long. Definitely do not go back to this if you are taking oestrogen!

Also re the utrogestan - many of us take it on a cycle to minimise progestogenic side effects - it does mean a withdrawal bleed but then you get the benefits of the oestrogen on its own without the sedative ( and sometimes derpessing) effect of the progesterone. Taking it every day can cause ongoing side effects (fatigue, sedative etc) although there are women on here taking it every day and enjoying it!

Hurdity x

Jaki T

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 03:15:19 PM »

Thanks Hurdity

I was recommended on here I think it was to take a combo of Oestrogel Pump and Utrogestan as an alternative to conti patches which weren't effective for night and day sweats.  So I began the pump a couple of weeks ago as was informed you could take this for a few weeks before taking the progesterone. Thought you were supposed to take together?  I asked my GP for these.  When I say cream I mean the Progesterone cream I used to take when I was perimenopausal but they don't prescribe it now :( But there is one that you can buy from Wellsprings that I tried before. It was alright but don't think I absorb topical things very well.  I have also sent an email to my surgery to ask about vaginal application or Progest cream. Tbh, if the HRT doesn't help with the symptoms then the costs outweigh the benefits  :-\

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 06:05:26 PM »

Hi again - re the oestrogen and progesterone (Utrogestan): depending on whether you want a continuous combined (no-bleed) HRT or a cyclical one - you either take the progesterone all the time (conti) or intermittently on a cycle - which will give you a withdrawal bleed. The advantage of this is that you don't get the sedative effect of the progesterone all the time. Many of us find it too sedating and depressing so opt to take it cyclically. Whichever option you choose you take the oestrogen all the time.

The doc is unlikely to tell you about vaginal application because it is only licensed for vaginal use for fertility in UK although in continental Europe vaginal use is given as an alternative to oral intake. Used orally can have more side effects than used vaginally. None of the creams can be used to protect the womb and there is no licensed product for this purpose so if you want to use "natural" progesterone - then Utrogestan is the only licensed one for HRT.

The oestrogen should definitely help with flushes and sweats - at the right dose - what dose are you taking?

If you have been taking the gel on its own for several weeks then you may get a bleed or spotting when you start the progesterone but if you continue to take it continuously then the bleeding should eventually stop - and depending on your oestrogen dose (higher oestrogen does need higher amounts of progesterone to protect the womb).

It is worth persisting and trying your HRT regime for at least 3 months to see if it helps with symptoms - and hopefully the benefits will outweigh any side effects. In my case I put up with a withdrawal bleed every 6-8 weeks after 12 days of progesterone - which sometimes makes me feel foggy-headed and tired - but then I reap the benefits of oestrogen only the rest of the time :).

Hope it works for you.

Hurdity x