Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Vaginal itching and redness  (Read 8548 times)

Cassie

Re: Vaginal itching and redness
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 02:21:02 AM »

I had the same thing until I started on the oestrogel, never had a problem again, its pretty sure to be due to low oestrogen levels.

Dierdre

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 06:21:23 AM »

You'll probably not see much improvement straight away, it will take a few weeks to start working, so be patient and also try moisturisers, YES products are good.

Tink22

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2019, 08:28:23 AM »

Okay thank you.   :)

Mrs Tigger

• First Flush
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 02:05:13 PM »

Hello, I know this thread is a year old now but it seems to be the most relevant one I have found to my own situation and as I have found these forums so useful, I thought I would share my story in the hope of maybe helping someone else with this horrendous problem which disrupts my sleep among other things.  Long story short, my vulva itch started 4 years ago aged 47, perimenopausal.  I coped with Vagisil, organic sanitary products etc etc.  I started HRT 2 years ago which did not help.  I changed GP surgeries to get this sorted and my lovely new GP immediately upped my HRT dose (I had lots of other menopause symptoms too), booked me in for a Mirena coil and prescribed the correct dose of estrogen in gel form.  She also prescribed Vagifem pessaries for my itch saying the estrogen has to be topical which I didn't know.  Tried for 6 months, no success, she changed me to Ovestin topical cream, I did 4 weeks of daily dose without improvement.  She sent me for swabs last week to rule out infection, which came back clear so she has now prescribed me Clobetasol which is a potent steroid cream to apply directly as I may have Lichen Schlerosus or another dermatological complaint even though the only symptom I have is the itch.  I have had Pityriasis Lichenoides in the past so, who knows, maybe I am susceptible to auto immune diseases.  She also says if this doesn't work, she will refer me to the Vulva Clinic at my local hospital which is part Gynae / part Dermatology.  I feel like I am in the right hands now and confident that I will get this sorted one way or another.  Meanwhile, I have learned how not to scratch (use knuckles/flats of fingertips/pinch etc, sorry if TMI but skin breakages are sooo painful), I YES WB lube for sex and YES VM to help with moisturising.  My GP suggested staying on the Ovestin anyway as this will keep my vagina happy on the inside!  I will keep you posted on the Clobetasol.  Sorry for long post, I just wanted to share as I know not all GPs are as knowledgeable as mine - as I said I had to change practices to get this far so please don't give up, I know I won't! 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 07:59:09 PM »

Tnx for sharing.  How long will U be using the steroid cream ?  :-\

:welcomemm:

jeannie960

• First Flush
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 08:27:44 PM »

I use Ovestin Estriol cream 1mg which I insert inside via an applicator. I had to take it the way that you're taking it.  I've been on it for about 6 years now and use it twice a week.  I find it brilliant stuff.  It's supposed to be reviewed every 3 months here but since I had a total hyster/oopherectomy I will always need it.   I found it took a few months before I really noticed the benefit.  It works better taking it at night before bed as it gives your body time to absorb it.  I suffered very badly for years with itching, burning and vaginal dryness.  Sex was a nightmare.  I was too embarrassed to go to the doctor and one night I read about Ovestin on this site. I went straight to my GP and after assessment was prescribed it.  This cream gave me my life back. Thank god for this website. 

Mrs Tigger

• First Flush
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2020, 01:47:33 PM »

Hi CLKD / Jeannie 960 - not sure how to reply individually so I will reply to you both this way.
CLKD -  I am using the steroid cream 2 x daily for at least a month but will carry on as it can take up to 3 months for effect then I will probably always need it as a "go to" which may be as and when I need it/get a flare up. 
Jeannie - it's good to hear the Ovestin is working for you.  Yes I use the Ovestin internally using the applicator just before bed.  I am currently using it 2/3 x weekly and it has made such a difference with dryness and libido but unfortunately not the itch though maybe combined with the steroid cream, fingers crossed I will get results.  My GP says it's perfectly okay to be on this forever which suits me, I have a fab sex life with my husband of 25 years and am invested in maintaining my fufu  ;D  I was also embarrassed for too long about going to the doctor but that is because I never saw the same person twice at my old surgery and when I did feel brave, I could never get through on the 'phone. And they made me cry in front of a waiting room full of people when I'd had no sleep for months through hot flushes.  I will never forget that, it takes a lot to upset me. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:53:39 PM by Mrs Tigger »

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2020, 01:57:47 PM »

Steroids seem a harsh treatment, which area do you apply it 2, R U in the UK?  I suppose it depends on the amount in the product but when I had it after breast surgery, I was told half a teaspoon when necessary.  Hopefully localised VA treatment will take over eventually  :)

Mrs Tigger

• First Flush
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 02:22:45 PM »

Hi CLKD, yes it is a harsh treatment but I have read up on it and if it helps re-set things, then I know that I am happy to put it one side and only use it if I need to once I get sorted - until then I am desperate to try anything as many of us this forum would surely agree!    And who knows, once I have the itch sorted, maybe the Ovestin will be enough alone as a maintenance treatment going forward as it definitely helps with my general VA symptoms. I use the steroid cream directly on the skin between my labia which is my worse affected area for itching and has been vulnerable for splitting.  I find I don't need to use much either as it goes quite a long way, probably quarter to half a FTU (finger tip unit which is what I have since learned that this cream is measured in).  I am in the UK so I appreciate how lucky I am that I can get these products for the cost of a prescription.  Did you use steroid cream for the same reason and if so, did it work for you / do you still use it?

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 02:34:40 PM »

In 1995 I had 'burning' during radiation therapy and was told not to use any more than was necessary.  Due to it being extremely strong and the skin was thinned due to treatment.  It was like the breast had sat in the sun all on her own  ;D. I would never think to put it on my vaginal area  :o though it can take a while to heal.

I think the idea is to keep any areas that split as moist as possible.  When I get a split in a thumb I apply Savlon as deeply as possible i.e. to heal from the inside out if that makes sense.  Difficult elsewhere ;-)

Mrs Tigger

• First Flush
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2020, 03:03:04 PM »

Firstly, here's to you for 25+ and many more years as a breast cancer survivor  :)  My skin is good at the moment as I've been managing well with moisturisers and careful non-scratching methods.  I know I have to be patient, I know it won't be an overnight fix.  Regarding healing splits, I successfully used Sudocrem which I probably shouldn't have but I thought if it's good enough for baby bottoms then it can't be that bad!  I will you posted how I get on with the steroid treatment, fingers crossed!  (I now have visions of a single breast sun-bathing  ;D )

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2020, 03:23:28 PM »

;D.  I'll leave you with that image.  I took my own tape to play whilst I underwent each session of radiation :-).  Bored everyone with Whippersnapper  ;D as the music was played into the waiting room.

Occasionally the scar itches as does my appendix scar, so gentle massage with 'savlon' or a good hand cream usually eases it. 

Getting old

• First Flush
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2020, 09:19:11 AM »

Thankyou for letting me join. I don't know if I'm posting in the right place so bare with me 🤔🤔 I am 54 and having periods well none for three months then a really heavy one. About 6 months ago I started this itching just on a small area on one labia it is slightly bigger than the other but always has been. I can go all day without itching then boom scratch scratch and burning all over. I have been peeing more as well but no burning. I have been to the doctor but just telephone contact I have had antibiotics just three days and cream which has helped. I'm just worried about vulva cancer tes I have been googling 😔😔 any advise would be greatly appreciated thankyou

Kathleen

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2020, 03:54:13 PM »

Hello Getting old and welcome to the forum.

I am not one of the expert ladies but you likely have vaginal atrophy as a result of lower oestrogen.

I had a similar problem to you earlier in the year and I use an otc vaginal moisturiser called YesVM and this is working for me.  It is available from your GP or you can order it directly from the manufacturer.  The other vaginal moisturisers are Replens and Sylk which you can buy over the counter.

If these are not sufficient to control your symptoms your doctor can prescribe Vagifem which is a topical oestrogen cream. Some ladies find that systemic HRT in the form of tablets, patches or gel is also required.

I hope this helps you and I'm sure other ladies will be along soon to comment.

Take care.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2020, 04:20:41 PM »

U can knock Dr Google on the head Getting old .......... he don't know much - if you must google go to an NHS website.

My VA began years ago with one sore spot slightly inside the vagina, enough to make me go 'ouch'.  As well as itching on one labia.  Eventually it developed into vaginal atrophy - mayB read the threads about VA as well as 'bladder issues'.  Make notes.   :welcomemm:
Pages: 1 [2] 3