Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: feel like I’ll never be well again  (Read 26493 times)

EnglishRose

Re: feel like I’ll never be well again
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2018, 04:01:25 PM »

Rose I am already going to the gum clinic. The doc there told me to restart the vagifem, after I gave up after 7 days. She was rolling her eyes when I told her about my first gp. I'm going back there next week. I've done the 14 day loading and just started week 4 but no improvement yet. I'm not sure if the vagifem has made things worse but my head is scrambled and I can't tell if I'm making things worse by overthinking.

It all started when I weed myself  on the way to the toilet. I was horrified, totally panicked and thought I had bladder issues. Imagined peeing myself for the rest of my life so started frantically doing pelvic floor exercises till I got to see the doctor. She tested my urine in the office and said I had a uti so prescribed antibiotics. That was the start and I won't go into the palaver I had with this useless doctor! The feeling of needing to wee never went And a few weeks later I started feeling sore and uncomfortable inside. Many weeks later after a pelvic scan and back and forwards to the gp I asked for  Vagifem. Doc wanted to give me meds for overactive bladder!
My symptoms are currently:

Pressure on the bladder - feeling like I need to wee
Sore urethra - like I need to wee
Sore just inside the vagina
Sore on the outside bits
Aching at the entrance to the vag
Maybe a bit of cramping but can't really be sure

The symptoms move around. Sometimes I'm ok in one area but something else is sore/hurts. I'm not in a lot of pain but it's uncomfortable and I'm aware the whole time. I've never had hrt. 8 years post meno and no other symptoms but funny you mention about the eyes. Sometimes I get this.

You are right Rose that it's not all going to snap back into place overnight but it seems to for some people?

Well, how do you feel,about trying some body identical HRT?
I've learned the hard way that we need Oestrogen for so many reasons, heart, bones, brain,
I'd ask for blood serum levels and if you're lacking, try some oestrogen it really can't hurt or make the current situation worse...
if I had to bet, I'd say you're dealing with long term Oestrogen deficiency which has manifested itself in your reproductive organs. It's your bodies way of telling you there's a problem... we need Oestrogen.. you won't need to use Progesterone as you no longer have cycles.
It could be so good for your moods and anxiety too.
You have nothing to lose and so much to gain in trying it.

What do you think?

EnglishRose

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2018, 04:10:36 PM »

Rose I am already going to the gum clinic. The doc there told me to restart the vagifem, after I gave up after 7 days. She was rolling her eyes when I told her about my first gp. I'm going back there next week. I've done the 14 day loading and just started week 4 but no improvement yet. I'm not sure if the vagifem has made things worse but my head is scrambled and I can't tell if I'm making things worse by overthinking.

It all started when I weed myself  on the way to the toilet. I was horrified, totally panicked and thought I had bladder issues. Imagined peeing myself for the rest of my life so started frantically doing pelvic floor exercises till I got to see the doctor. She tested my urine in the office and said I had a uti so prescribed antibiotics. That was the start and I won't go into the palaver I had with this useless doctor! The feeling of needing to wee never went And a few weeks later I started feeling sore and uncomfortable inside. Many weeks later after a pelvic scan and back and forwards to the gp I asked for  Vagifem. Doc wanted to give me meds for overactive bladder!

Sore on the outside bits

The symptoms move around. Sometimes I'm ok in one area but something else is sore/hurts. I'm not in a lot of pain but it's uncomfortable and I'm aware the whole time. I've never had hrt. 8 years post meno and no other symptoms but funny you mention about the eyes. Sometimes I get this.

You are right Rose that it's not all going to snap back into place overnight but it seems to for some people?

Here's an interesting article on the subject of HRT after menopause

http://medicalrepublic.com.au/late-late-start-hormone-therapy/10821

Blot

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 04:24:18 PM »

Thanks. But I thought that I would still need progesterone as I still have a uterus and oestrogen will thicken the lining? It's the progesterone bit that worries me tbh. And as for blood tests, does the nhs even do these post meno%.

My new gp did mention hrt when I was last in her office blubbering but because I have no other symptoms I wasn't  keen. It is something worth considering though.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:26:47 PM by Blot »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2018, 04:25:08 PM »

The thing is girls, these feelings are real!  Regardless of causation, once a symptom begins the brain focuses there; if over the counter remedies don't work, we go to the GP and if we aren't listened to, it can play on our mind. 

Chronic health worry is tiring.  It can cause depression.  Anxiety.  Which is draining.  Hence the desire to stay in bed.  Every morning I wake and think "my head is depressed this morning" but once out and having eaten breakfast, I begin to feel better.  My brain requires nourishment.  Regularly.  Otherwise it goes into meltdown  :-\.  If my gut kicks in then I'm back to bed ...... until the anti-anxiety medication kicks in, either I sleep or can get up and do stuff.

Menopause wasn't mentioned until I was older.  No need to tell me any earlier ........ no emptathy  ::).  Keeping a mood/food/symptom diary can be useful, making a double appt to see Practice Nurse or GP as well as trying to get a late appt. ;-).  I hand my list to the my GP and ask "Can we work through this and prioritise?"

........ and breath [wish I could, without coughing  ::)]

EnglishRose

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2018, 04:26:36 PM »

Sore on the outside bits

Also I, sure you've been told this alresdy but there is quite often a “worse before better” period of time.
I expected this before I started Vagifem
The same applies to HRT in general
The reason is all of those oestrogen cells that have dried up are stimulated by the hormone and this causes a reaction or stimulation.
The bladder and vagina has thousands of oestrogen cells , they need oestrogen like a battery if you will in order to do their job which is lubricating the vagina and bladder strength..
now, you're experiencing Oestrogen deficiency symptoms that's a fact, and those cells are all waking up after years of being dormant.
It makes sense if you think about it.

Imagine an old car that's been left in the garage for years never used, then you put Petrol in the tank and oil to the dipstick..and start it up...
it's coughing and spluttering at first, the engine speeds up then almost stalls as it tries to get the petrol and oil circulating again...and it takes a good 10 mins before it starts running smoothly again.

Probably not the best analogy but hope it makes sense 😊

EDIT
I've read from two women who whilst initially using Vagifem experienced the sexual sensations I started with before I used Vagifem. It made me nervous but I used it anyway.

What that goes to show is that symptoms often can be the same for those who are lacking in Oestrogen and those who are starting to use Oestrogen.. it's complicated and no one can say why one woman loses libido whilst another's libido increases both as a result of menopause.
We're all very different and this is why one HRT might be wonderful for one woman and a total disaster for another.
Same rule for ADs too,
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:35:08 PM by Roseenglish »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]