Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Reducing plastic at home  (Read 21471 times)

Hurdity

Re: Reducing plastic at home
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2018, 08:45:48 PM »

Why not just use a flannel??

What for?

I wouldn't remove eye make using a flannel because you need something clean every time to avoid infection. Washed wipes are perfect for this.

As for baby's bums..... when they were tiny I always used to use cotton wool - but that's not made of cotton any more. I didn't use wipes until maybe the last one was born - instead I used baby lotion and cotton wool. You wouldn't want to use flannels to clean off anything nasty.... :o

I do approve of flannels generally for daily washing though!

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2018, 10:13:20 PM »

I never use anything else other than a flannel.  Ours are boiled every day, along with hand towels and kitchen towels ......... and if there isn't infection present they won't encourage it.  I would encourage anyone to do a hot wash every time, 30 simply doesn't 'do it' despite what we are led to believe  ::).  Anyone remember Grannies boiler with steam then the mangle  ???

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:16:05 PM by CLKD »

crazycatlady

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2018, 01:46:22 PM »

There are some useful Facebook Groups on this theme.
Some of the things I do:
- flannels for make-up removal is fine as I use different half of the flannel for each eye. But then, I don't wear much makeup.
- I take my own containers to the butchers & ask them not to use plastic bag. I also buy eggs at butchers - they have trays of eggs with empty egg cartons on the side, so I take my own egg cartons (yes they're just paper but there's a limit to paper's recyclability too so I always try to reuse paper things as well as plastic if there's still life left in them)
- I make good use of the plastic packet from inside cereal boxes. I cut them up into strips to layer food for freezing, and use the bags whole as freezer bags. Secure them with reusable plastic clips. For more delicate foods that go in the freezer, I reuse ice cream and other similar tubs, or Tupperware.
- Fruit & veg shopping: I try not to use any new bags - neither plastic nor paper. Anything that is single use is not great. Not only plastic. Even paper. Lots of energy & resources used to create & distribute paper bags. So always try to reuse something.
- Storing opened tins of cat food in the fridge - use empty pasta/pulses packet secured with reusable plastic clip.
- soap - I use a bar that is stored on a soap dish with ridges & a hole in it so gunk drains & soap stays dry.

Shadyglade

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2018, 04:12:01 PM »

I store unwrapped soap bars in the airing cupboard.  It make them harder and they last much longer.

CLKD

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2018, 05:12:37 PM »

Oh that reminds me: years ago we kept our lemon scented soap in the airing cupboard - until the mice age it  :D

Good ideas crazycatlady!   :thankyou:

Krystal

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2018, 04:44:19 PM »

Many people enjoy packets of crisps but the packets are made from plastic which is not recyclable at the moment as they are made of two layers one of plastic and one of bonded foil. Thanks to protest pressure from the public throughout the UK, Walkers Crisps have introduced their own recycling scheme. Empty crisp packets can be taken to dedicated drop off points throughout the country where they will be collected and then processed to make recycled plastic furniture, or individuals can save their own packets a minimum of 400 and a collection can be arranged.

Where I live a local shop has become a dedicated collection point for empty crisp packets and these are to be donated to a local charity which raise funds for premature babies at the local maternity unit.

If anyone is interested in learning more about this please google "Walkers Crisps Recycling" I have looked at this site myself and have found it to be very informative.  Walkers Crisps are currently working on making their packaging 100% recyclable so it can go directly into our recycling bins but this will not be until 2025. 

CLKD

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2018, 09:27:59 PM »

:thankyou: the way is to avoid buying crisps.  Of any type.  Many of the bird feed bags are not recyclable so I put those in2 the bins at supermarkets that take those that can't be collected from the kerb side.

Gangan

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2019, 03:02:59 PM »

Bought an eco friendly birthday card this morning. Must admit i was drawn to the picture first as it is suitable for the person i am buying for but pleased to see that the usual "cellophane" bag it is in is made of compostable cornstarch. The card and envelope are recycled card, vegetable based inks, alcohol free printing powered by green energy.
The company is online and of the eco friendly name for cards. From Newton Abbot.  (trying not to advertise !)
Another bag for our compost bin and i will be getting more cards from their website now.

Gangan x

ariadne

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2019, 07:26:36 PM »

Gangan, I carefully sorted my Christmas cards into those that could be recycled and those that couldn't (with glitter or coloured foil on) There was one from The Woodland Trust encouraging me to recycle it but it had foiled writing on so I couldn't.

I tried to buy a birthday card for a friend without glitter or foil on and had to give up as there were so few that I couldn't find one that was suitable.

Ariadne XX

ariadne

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2019, 07:32:17 PM »

I have to thank Hurdity for the tip about washing used wet wipes. I'm so happy with that. I've even washed some at 90 degrees just to see what would happen and was surprised to see that they came out intact and beautifully white. No wonder they clog everywhere up when thrown away.

I have been putting them in a Tupperware box with Micellar water and using them to remove make up. I reckon I could re-use floor and surface wipes too.

Ariadne XX

Gangan

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2019, 08:37:37 PM »

Ariadne - I'm guilty of buying glittery charity cards at christmas and sending them out. It's because i think they look more cheery. I will have to think again now.

Stellajane - We go to two different recycling centres locally. In one the workers there do care a lot more and the site is well organised. One person we see regularly at the later knows he can do little about what eventually goes off to landfill. He doesn't charge much if you want anything either. I pick up and rescue decent childrens' toys there and am amazed at how some have even ended up there.

Gangan x

« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 08:41:06 PM by Gangan »

CLKD

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2019, 09:12:22 PM »

Woodland Trust ought to know better, I would have sent it to HQ  ;)

Like the idea of a 'natural' card, Gangan - PM me with details please?

The Sat. Supplements are in plastic - again.  Our rubbish gets recycled really well, lots of digesters in the area as farms are diversifying.  If you note bin men putting it all in the same lorry, ring your Council!

Salad

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2019, 11:53:11 PM »

I haven't read all the comments so I might have missed if this has already been discussed.

I'm drinking a lot of sparkling water now instead of diet coke and wondered if anyone has bought a soda stream they can recommend, as I feel a bit guilty about all the plastic bottles I'm generating.

CLKD

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2019, 04:45:06 PM »

We won one in a raffle in 1986  ;D.  But didn't use it much.  Locally any plastic bottles are re-cycled and I don't feel guilty.  Do you add cordial to the water, I found that made a difference.

Aby123

• First Flush
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2019, 04:28:45 AM »

My hubby takes sandwiches to work daily, to avoid the use of clingfilm etc, I have made some reusable sandwich wraps.  There working a treat, and when opened out also act as a serviette. 

Ive also stopped shopping for veg at the supermarkst.  Hate all the plastic wrapping.  Now visit the local garden centre weekly to stock up on locall grown, in season produce  ;)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8