Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Help with symptoms please.  (Read 1357 times)

lynneO

Help with symptoms please.
« on: November 08, 2018, 04:19:16 PM »

Hi, I'm struggling

tried HRT for 3 months (sequential patches) but just didn't get on with it.  stopped the sweats, but made my boobs really hurt.   stopped taking it.
last weekend had a massive hot flush (at the end of a sketchy period) and felt like i was going to pass out, fast heart rate and shakes etc.   now I have a strange taste in my mouth (new symtom for me) and am back to not being able to sleep - waking in the night with sweats

i have a call in to my (sympathetic) gp and am sitting waiting for her to call.  i am full of anxiety, keep thinking i've had a stroke !   

anyone had similar issues and any advice on what to try next - i'm desparate

thanks

Dancinggirl

Re: Help with symptoms please.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 05:42:28 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM

You need HRT really.  In peri meno a low dose is best but you will still get some fluctuations because your own hormones will be fluctuating in the background.  The HRT patches are medium dose and this was probably too high a dose for you to start with - always best to start on low dose or the boobs will be sore. Perhaps try Femoston 1/10 next. It's trial and error before you find the right HRT.  Tender breasts for the first few weeks is quite normal and this usually settles with time. 
Palpatations and panic are common with flushes - it can be quite frightening when you're not used to them. Nobody prepares us for what happens with the menopause.

The right HRT will sort you out.  DG x

jaypo

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:48:44 PM »

I agree dancing girl,nobody prepares you,you think you're going mad half the time & the other half you're dying of something.
You're not alone lynne,be strong xx

lynneO

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 02:17:24 PM »

many thanks for your replies.   feeling a bit less stressed today, gp said try evoril sequi patches so will give them a go.  went to a herbalist today and went through everything thats happened in the last three years - she's given me potion mix to try - will try that for a week or so and if nothing changes for the better will try the patches again

and yes, i do think i'm going mad 1/2 the time or dying of something the other half !

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 02:42:35 PM »

lynne0 - I'm afraid herbal stuff will only give a placebo effect and in peri meno the flushes and other meno symptoms tend to fluctuate, which gives the impression that herbal remedies are working!!! 
Your GP has still given you combined patches that are medium dose!!  These may well make your boobs tender as well.  This is why I suggested Femoston 1/10 as it is a low dose.  Give these patches a go and see how you do. If you are holding off using them, you could contact you GP and ask for teh Femoston 1/10 instead - explain you want to try a lower dose HRT first??  They are pills, which you may find less hassle as well.  Keep us posted.  DG x

jaypo

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 02:51:04 PM »

Oh dancing girl you are so right, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that, I was taking sage & hey presto flushes went,yippee but back they came & went & so on,was just a coincidence that I happened to take sage just before they disappeared of their own accord but if someone thinks something is working for them?great
Don't worry lynne (although I know you will) but really,most of us are the same as you.hope you feel better soon xx

lynneO

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 05:41:29 PM »

Thank you both and I totally appreciate you taking the time to respond.  The only reason I think that I want to give it a go is that I got some Valerian for my dog - she is terrified of fireworks and I'd heard it might help.  Now there's no way a dog can respond to a placebo - so when her shaking and terror disappeared after I'd been giving it to her for a couple of days I was totally gobsmacked.  I have no issue with taking HRT - and I will as you DC suggested call my Dr on Monday and ask for Femoston 1/10 if that is a lower dose than the one she's prescribed

it's an absolute minefield isn't it - I'm very grateful for your help. 

jaypo

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 06:30:43 PM »

I'm definitely not knocking it,I personally would try anything.good luck