Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: 84 Year Old Woman has Natural Period According to GP.  (Read 2877 times)

Kathleen

84 Year Old Woman has Natural Period According to GP.
« on: November 06, 2018, 04:44:35 PM »

Hello ladies.

I know! Plus this is a true story.

A GP told my friend about this woman earlier today. It seems that an 84 year old patient  came to see her after experiencing menstrual cramps and bleeding forty years after her last period. She was referred to hospital and all the tests were done but nothing sinister was found. The conclusion was that she had ovulated and consequently had a period. According to the doctor this can happen as our ovaries continue to try and expel any remaining eggs throughout our lives. Another friend of mine began having hot flushes after her ovaries were removed at age 65 and her gynecologist told her that they continue to work after a fashion, even into our seventies!

So ladies what do you think? I know lots of us feel that we are still on a cycle long after our final period but to think that an ancient egg might be trying to make an appearance is frankly spooky!

Wishing you all well.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: 84 Year Old Woman has Natural Period According to GP.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 05:23:56 PM »

Is it true that the whole ovary isn't removed otherwise it wouldn't be there to work. 

I often get period like pains and think "Oh No! not after all these years".  Last bleed 2002.  I didn't stop carrying protection for another 5 years  ::) but OH please, no more ..........

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 10:18:08 AM »

Probably OK if one doesn't name the patient.  We used to talk about 'the arm' or 'the long leg plaster' rather than anyone by name  ;)

After all that while I would be concerned to get a period  :-\

Annika

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 06:56:13 PM »

My grandmother had something like this at 75 and worried herself sick over it. My grandfather told her to tell my mum because both my grandparents were from that generation that you don't talk about certain things. My mum took her to see the GP and after an examination turned out to be a huge ovarian cyst the size of a grapefruit which she had to go in and have taken out. I guess no matter how old you get these things never settle down.

Conolly

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 07:38:03 PM »

Hello Kathleen,

Wow, I guess this is extremely rare but possible. I have a 79 year old friend who can't stop using her oestrogen patches, otherwise the hot flushes come back, another evidence that these things never settle down, as Annika says.
Thank you for the info, very interesting.

Conolly X

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 08:02:18 PM »

Hello again ladies.

I've just remembered something else.

I was told about a woman who continued to have hot  flushes into her late sixties and her daughter was the same although hers  were more like panicky feelings that meant she had to catch her breath.  I think someone on this forum has mentioned that when our ovaries shrivel other cells produce some oestrogen instead. If so I wish my ‘ other cells' would work a  little harder as I could definitely do with help in the oestrogen department!

Take care ladies.

K.

Conolly

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 08:37:06 PM »

How is that lady in general then Connolly? Do you see benefits all round from her having taking oestrogen for so long?

Hello Stellajane,

She says she can't live without it and her Mum who died at the age of 102 was also on oestrogen until her 90's. She has uterine prolapse and other ailments that are kept under control by oestrogen. It has side effects, unfortunately, such as migraines.

Conolly X

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 11:12:36 AM »

My SIL is a year younger than me and just starting peri, I have been post meno since 48 and the last weekend I was telling her to sit up and stop falling asleep (we were away with our hubbies in a hotel), she said it's alright for me as I've finished menopause and she gets tired, I said sorry to burst your bubble but becoming post memo doesn't mean you're symptom-less !!!! X

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 03:06:53 PM »

No empthaty there then ?  Has your SiL had her VitD levels checked Annie?

Annie0710

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2018, 03:36:10 PM »

Haven't a clue, she always goes to bed 10ish even before meno but can't exert herself for nights out, it's a bit if a standing joke in the family, she wants to arrive @8 and go at 9.30 lol x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 03:38:31 PM »

Maybe it's anxiety  :-\. I'm pretty much the same.  I'm here, what more do you want  :D as well as finding some of his family so boring  :-X

Annie0710

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 03:40:56 PM »

I asked if she felt nervous and she said she doesn't, maybe we just bore her to tears x

sheila99

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 11:01:05 PM »

I'm disappointed, I thought this was going to be someone still menstruating at 84. I used to think periods were a pain (excuse the pun), but having sampled the joys of peri I would glady swap it for periods for life. Only humans - I wonder why?