Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need for regular Vagifem coming on quite suddenly  (Read 3500 times)

Katejo

Need for regular Vagifem coming on quite suddenly
« on: October 26, 2018, 09:40:16 AM »

Has anyone else found that you started to need  Vagifem (or another alternative) on a regular basis quite suddenly? I have been having quite frequent  UTI infections ( sometimes 2-3 times a year) for 8-10 years since I was in peri but usually a dull ache rather than burning. I am now nearly 5 years post periods.
Right up until this summer however I only got these infections when I was due to go on holiday. In between the holidays I was mostly fine. So I had one in June 2018 and was then clear until my next trip in September. Since then it has been more continuous and I have been trying Vagifem. The symptoms cleared up immediately when I started the Vagifem and then crept back when I dropped to twice a week.

I am now waiting for the GP to ring me about the latest urine test. I am hoping that they didn't find an infection because I don't want another AB. I am almost convinced that the problem is more VA than UTI but I just have a nagging doubt about why the burning started so suddenly.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Need for regular Vagifem coming on quite suddenly
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 09:44:25 AM »

Unless a fresh urine sample is sent to a Lab., it can be un-certain if it is actually a Germ.  Vaginal atrophy mimics urine infection-type symptoms really, really well which many GPs don't understand   :'(

The idea is to use an appropriate product to counteract the VA symptoms.  Once used it plumps up dry skin around and inside the vaginal area therefore lessening the feelings.  However, 1 HAS to continue using which ever medication has been prescribed otherwise the skin dries and thins = symptoms.  Even when symptoms go away oestrogen levels remain low over-all.

If you are convinced on symptoms then ask for appropriate treatment?  To be used for 14 nights continuous then 'as necessary' although initially it's suggested every 4th and 6/7th nights.  Because Vagifem is less dose than original designed [now 10 instead of 25] some find that they require insertion nightly as well as other products to keep the outer area supple.

Do read the various threads and perhaps get a copy of the book about vaginas being discussed  ;).  Let us know what your GP suggests, with or without an infection.

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 10:57:48 AM »

Unless a fresh urine sample is sent to a Lab., it can be un-certain if it is actually a Germ.  Vaginal atrophy mimics urine infection-type symptoms really, really well which many GPs don't understand   :'(

The idea is to use an appropriate product to counteract the VA symptoms.  Once used it plumps up dry skin around and inside the vaginal area therefore lessening the feelings.  However, 1 HAS to continue using which ever medication has been prescribed otherwise the skin dries and thins = symptoms.  Even when symptoms go away oestrogen levels remain low over-all.

If you are convinced on symptoms then ask for appropriate treatment?  To be used for 14 nights continuous then 'as necessary' although initially it's suggested every 4th and 6/7th nights.  Because Vagifem is less dose than original designed [now 10 instead of 25] some find that they require insertion nightly as well as other products to keep the outer area supple.

Do read the various threads and perhaps get a copy of the book about vaginas being discussed  ;).  Let us know what your GP suggests, with or without an infection.
Yes I already have a copy of the book and have read it together with lots of threads. I am using the Vagifem at the moment. My latest urine test was sent away for analysis on Monday. That is the result which I am now waiting for. The previous test was done just after I completed the 2 weeks of Vagifem and had dropped down to twice a week. The symptoms were creeping back. The result of that was inconclusive so I had a 2nd one done.  The GP app said I should get the call around 11.30 but it hasn't come yet.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 11:56:48 AM »

Fortunately I haven't  been a frequent sufferer of UTI's but I have never managed on the suggested twice a week maintenance dose, I am three years post meno now, I use Vagifem daily for VA.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 12:39:07 PM »

Fortunately I haven't  been a frequent sufferer of UTI's but I have never managed on the suggested twice a week maintenance dose, I am three years post meno now, I use Vagifem daily for VA.
Did you get any irritation from it when you started? I can't tell whether irritation now is because I'm not taking it daily or a side effect of the Vagifem. For the first 2 weeks I didn't get any irritation at all and things seemed better but then it started.

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 01:43:01 PM »

Katejo, maybe you need to go back to nighltly use for longer and then try cutting down to 2-3 times a week.  We're all different so what works for one won't work for another.  When do you go away?

I have already had to abandon my trip. Not just because of this. I developed a bug/virus at the beginning of this week and felt quite bad on Tuesday/wed so reluctantly cancelled it.
I want to go back to trying it daily again but 1. I am not sure whether the irritation is caused by the Vagifem. 2. I need to speak to a GP first to persuade them to let me order another prescription without seeing them again. If I try to go back to the daily, I will run out too soon. The practice pharmacist insisted that it was twice a week only.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 01:44:18 PM »

>lifts head from pillow<

Maybe use 'sylc' or other products on the outer labia etc.?  Keep the areas moist at all times to avoid drying and thinning of skin.

What does the prescribing GP put on the script?  It isn't up the Pharmacist to make decisions!

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 01:57:51 PM »

>lifts head from pillow<

Maybe use 'sylc' or other products on the outer labia etc.?  Keep the areas moist at all times to avoid drying and thinning of skin.

What does the prescribing GP put on the script?  It isn't up the Pharmacist to make decisions!
I am referring to the pharmacist based at the practice. She listened to my request, went to speak to the GP and came back. Both said that it could only be used twice a week.  Could try going back to daily for a few days to see if it works as well as it did in the first 2 weeks. I am going to try YES but don't yet have any. I need to order some.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 02:02:24 PM »

They are SO THICK  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Take the leaflet from the box, have it enlarged at your local stationary shop and hand over ........... putting a marker pen across the instructions 4 use?

Then take a copy of the book to your GP? 

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 02:56:25 PM »

Take the leaflet from the box, have it enlarged at your local stationary shop and hand over ........... putting a marker pen across the instructions 4 use?

Some progress at last. I have just had my callback from the GP. My urine test was clear of infection but she does want to refer me to a urogynaecologist because of the blood traces in the sample. I pointed out that this had been investigated 2 or 3  years ago with a  cystoscopy and then a referral to a nephrologist afterwards who wasn't too concerned. However I don't mind a further referral as a check/for peace of mind. I just hope she doesn't have something more serious in mind but I think such microscopic traces are quite common during menopause?

She also agreed however that I can try using the Vagifem daily again to see if it improves. Plus I can request a further prescription for Vagifem when I need it as a repeat without seeing a GP again.

Katejo

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2018, 05:03:27 PM »

Well that's brilliant news Katejo.  So sorry you've had to cancel your trip though.  Hope you feel better soon.
I am getting over the virus which stopped me going. I am hoping that the lack of infection found means that the cystitis symptoms earlier this week are to do with reducing the Vagifem to twice a week.  If I go back to a daily dose and then still have irritation, I won't know what to try next.
It has been a very frustrating day. GP's don't seem to understand that we can't guarantee being able to answer the phone at a random time of the day. She has just said that they tried me several times last week. True but they chose to do it when I was on the tube home or to an evening class.  ???

Tink22

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 05:12:26 AM »

Some progress at last. I have just had my callback from the GP. My urine test was clear of infection but she does want to refer me to a urogynaecologist because of the blood traces in the sample. I pointed out that this had been investigated 2 or 3  years ago with a  cystoscopy and then a referral to a nephrologist afterwards who wasn't too concerned. However I don't mind a further referral as a check/for peace of mind. I just hope she doesn't have something more serious in mind but I think such microscopic traces are quite common during menopause?

She also agreed however that I can try using the Vagifem daily again to see if it improves. Plus I can request a further prescription for Vagifem when I need it as a repeat without seeing a GP again.

I had similar issues about 20 years ago.  No infection, just blood in the urine, and frequency, and pain.  I went to a urologist and was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis or IC for short.  Perhaps you could speak with a Urologist who specializes in this.  There is a specific diet you will need to follow in order to not agitate the bladder.  Also beverages, supplements, medications can set it off.  What I had had to do in the beginning was chart what I was ingesting, and figure out what things were setting my bladder off.  Perhaps this is what is happening with you.   Oh and there is a support forum I used to go to a lot when I was first diagosed called www.ic-network.com

Regards,
Tink

Annie0710

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 10:45:38 AM »

My UTIs really ramped up a gear once I was post menopause, initially vagifem load and 2x weekly worked but the UTIs crept back so now I use them daily and usually UTI-free.   This new surgery made me go back to to twice weekly then followed a. Really nasty kidney infection and another UTI - now they believe me and let me use them daily again x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 08:15:12 PM »

Vaginal atrophy mimics urine infection-type symptoms really well.  It is HIGH time that GPs are aware of this and stop prescribing ABs but give ladies appropriate treatment for VA!

Katejo

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 08:57:26 PM »

My UTIs really ramped up a gear once I was post menopause, initially vagifem load and 2x weekly worked but the UTIs crept back so now I use them daily and usually UTI-free.   This new surgery made me go back to to twice weekly then followed a. Really nasty kidney infection and another UTI - now they believe me and let me use them daily again x
The GP agreed in a phone call that I could use them daily but, when I tried to get a repeat prescription, their records indicated that I didn't need one until December. I have put in a request to the pharmacist to get a new one before the end of November but still don't have enough left to use them daily. Fortunately I have been referred to a urogynaecologist and my appt. is next week. I am hoping to get some support there.

Pages: [1] 2