Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Diane Danzebrink's petition to get Menopause taken seriously  (Read 1967 times)

racjen

Diane Danzebrink's petition to get Menopause taken seriously
« on: October 18, 2018, 05:06:30 PM »

Here's the link - it's a Change.org petition. She was on a very good phone im on Radio 5 live this morning.
https://www.change.org/p/penny-mordaunt-mp-make-menopause-matter-in-healthcare-the-workplace-and-education-makemenopausematter
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:40:05 AM by Emma »

Ladybt28

Re: Diane Danzebrink's petition to get Menopause taken seriously
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 05:24:20 PM »

I've done mine already and posted on Facebook!  The more people who can make "menopause matter" the better, we need this for our daughters!

racjen

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 08:52:24 PM »

Too right, I can't bear the idea of my two having to go through the hell I'm suffering right now  :'(. I don't know how much of a genetic factor there is in all this - my Mum didn't suffer particularly badly, hot flushes but not a lot else, whereas my sister has had an early menopause with associated depression (although hers may be more to do with anorexia in her early 20s, I imagine that can send you into spontaneous early menopause). We do seem to have a bit of a family tendency towards depression though.

aspie65

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 11:19:15 AM »

Have signed and shared to Facebook.  Wasn't aware of this petition so thanks for posting.

AgathaC

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 10:06:09 AM »

I was crying last night. Feeling wretched and awful as all my perimenopausal symptoms arrived on the same day. My husband was and is very understanding. He has a high profile job in the City and he actually said that he thinks that one of the reasons why women aren't in the “top jobs” is not just having children, taking time off, other people's attitudes etc., but because of this awful menopause that we have to suffer, combining it with grown up children, grandchildren, aging parents. Men are reaching career peaks at about 50. I'm approaching 50 and feel like I can just about get to work let alone function at my peak! He said he could no way do his job if he was feeling like I feel. I couldn't agree more and sometimes feel a bit aggrieved that I've declined so much so quickly. I will definitely sign the petition and share it! As with everything, I don't think there is a quick fix. I can only speak from experience. My (female) GP said she had “no time for menopause” and that it was natural, etc. She pointed me towards CBT. Yes, that can help anxiety (which I now have badly) but if your anxiety is hormone driven, then you aren't fixing the cause, just treating the symptoms. We do need to take menopause seriously for those women who suffer badly. There are no NHS menopause clinics near me and no GP support. I appreciate that resources are scarce, etc, but without this forum I think I would have sank rather than swam recently. Anyway, sorry for rambling on. Just wanted to say yes I agree and yes I will sign!

allie007

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 02:16:54 PM »

Just signed. Totally agree with you all. My GPs are useless, been told I have to come off HRT at 51 as I will have been on it 5 years. Im amazed that half the population will go through this and the 'help' we get is abysmal x

SueLW

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 04:13:32 PM »

Just signed. Totally agree with you all. My GPs are useless, been told I have to come off HRT at 51 as I will have been on it 5 years. Im amazed that half the population will go through this and the 'help' we get is abysmal x

The NICE guidelines say you can stay on it indefinitely.  You might need to get hold of the relevant bit and print it out for your GP.  I think Dr Louise is talking about it in this video.  Have a listen. 
https://www.menopausedoctor.co.uk/menopause/the-importance-of-nice-guidelines

Blot

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2018, 07:41:16 PM »

I've signed and my mum and daughter too.
I'm appalled by some of the things I've heard about the way women are treated. If you haven't got the money to pay or live in the "wrong" part of the country you've got no chance.

Anyone on mumsnet and knows how to put links on? I'm sure they'd get behind this.

Good Diane and thank you.

Robin

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 08:19:18 AM »

Shown today on BBC breakfast.  Please sign if you haven't already
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:53:08 AM by Robin »