Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: HRT or IBS?  (Read 3276 times)

ali 61

HRT or IBS?
« on: October 18, 2018, 09:25:41 AM »

Quick rundown of whats happened so far. Tho many of you have been answering my questions/posts and I'm now beginning to feel like a scatty hypochondriac!

I started on Evorel Conti patches, (patches due to migraines) but within a week I developed horrendous stomach cramps. Persevered on just 1/2 a patch but felt so bad that after 6 weeks I stopped the patch completely.
This was 2 weeks ago.
But I am still in agony with cramps and now have runny tummy (sorry) and nausea.

Last year I had months like this and they did all sorts of tests and cameras. All ok apart from mild diverticulits. So it was put down as IBS.
I have had flare-ups throughout the year, but not as bad.

So now I'm wondering, as this isnt stopping this time.....was this the HRT that didnt agree with me. Or could it even be that HRT triggered my IBS back? I feel that after 2 weeks without HRT this shouldnt still be hurting like this...so maybe its IBS.
Does all that make sense?

I'm seeing the GP on Tuesday supposedly to talk about a different type of HRT. But just wondered if anybody had experience of the HRT triggering IBS and if maybe I'm best not taking it for a while?  Although I did think that using Patches as opposed to Tablets wouldnt have affected my digestive system?

Also, if anybody does have IBS flare-ups...what helps you with this terrible pain? I have Buscopan (prescribed by the GP) and peppermint teabags. And of course a hot water bottle.
Thanks for listening ladies.  :(
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:04:10 AM by ali 61 »

Rosie63

Re: HRT or IBS?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 04:40:51 PM »

Hi Ali61. I can relate to what you are saying. I've suffered with a lot of digestive and bowel problems on HRT and these have been worse since Prempak was discontinued and I've had to try to find an alternative, unsuccessfully to date.  I was diagnosed with IBS some years ago after undergoing several tests and I really think that something in the HRT's I've tried aggravates it. I've taken Buscopan, Colpamin and another similar otc med. which I can't recall at the moment.  None of these helped.

One of the ladies on here posted something earlier this week saying she had similar problems and after taking aloe vera juice and cider apple vinegar, her stomach issues had more or less gone.  I'm going to give this a try so perhaps something you could consider.

Wishing you well.

Rosie63

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 10:22:22 PM »

Hi ladies,
I have had weird gut symptoms for about 4 yrs. now i know i was fobbed off with quack diagnoses like ibs, gastritis, gord, etc etc. My last episode of pain, i'd had enough and asked my gp for a scan- he humoured me and said oh i really doubt it will show anything.
Low and behold a huge bag of marble sizes gall stones!!
What im saying is don't assume it is ibs unless everything else has been ruled out.

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 09:11:54 PM »

I'd say consider gastric migraines possibly as a side effect of oestrogen do some research then, if you can, play around with testing it then if any doubt at all report it as a side effect using the yellow card system That's exactly what I'm doing just now after a year of varying my hrt,pills ,patches ,gel ,patches again and steadily getting worse so this time around im listening to my instincts.good luck ladies don't dismiss it without researching.just because it's not a " known" side effect doesent mean a thing it's simply not being reported or questioned enough.x

JacksJacks2

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 08:06:26 AM »

Since entering my 50's ( well, maybe a year or so before ) I noticed that certain foods aggravated my stomach more. I became intolerant to wheat en-mass, like pasta, bread, cereals etc. My stomach would get distended and feel really hard and uncomfortable. I also started to feel sick with certain dairy products. A latte or glass of milk, puddings. My tummy would start to churn and I would start to feel really nauseous. I also struggled to digest red meats. After a few years I just eliminated them all (predominantly). I don't eat any wheat now, I have almond milk for everything (unless at work and then I might have a cup of tea with a smidge of milk) I only eat sheeps cheese. Meat, well, I now only eat fish. Also I follow the FODMAP (IBS diet) and take a probiotic each day.
I seriously feel great with my gut these days. It has promoted really healthy eating but I always have something yummy each day too. It is a definite positive change in my life.
I do though agree with some other comments - get yourself checked to rule out anything serious. If all comes back negative, then maybe a dietry overhaul would be a good step.
I too am on hrt - not yet noticed any strangeness in my stomach from this - but will certainly keep my eye open ( I increased my dosage this morning to 4 pums estrogel )
Good luck with fixing yourself ... I hope it gets better soon

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 09:44:28 AM »

Colpermin has to be taken at the correct time in relation to eating patterns.  It saved my Life.  Taken within the hour of eating my main meals in order to encourage any wind in the upper digestive tract to move, it really did help, along with another drug the name of which I forget.

Eating little and often can help.  As oestrogen levels drop so muscles may become lax which can encourage a hiatus hernia, common in menopausal women.  This allows acids to return which gives symptoms of heartburn and reflux.  Awful. An over the counter remedy such as Rennies or Milk of Magnesia can be tried, if that doesn't help when taken at the correct time, then some find that Gaviscon can be useful.

I thought that I had responded to this thread somewhere else here  :-\ ?  .   When I had regular periods I would have to dash to the loo with 'the runs' 10 mins. prior to a bleed starting, even if a period wasn't due  :-\. HORMONES!  IBS for me was started as I am a recovering anorexic and by the 1990s my gut spasm had all but stopped ...........  :-\

Crafty Kaz

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 03:51:41 PM »

Hi Ali
I'm the lady that has sorted her ibs out with Aloe Vera & cider vinegar :) Before my hormones started going wild during peri my stomach ran smoothly but back in March things started to change drastically along with nightsweats insomnia & anxiety I began to realise it was hormone related & my frequent toilet trips could be due to hormonal fluctuations or lack of estrogen! To cut a long story short I started hrt & in a short space of time no insomnia nightsweats or anxiety but gut issues still lurking but not as bad. After seeing a nutritionist and lots of research I decided to cut out sugar gluten & follow a healthy regime along with cider vinegar (to help digestion) and Aloe Vera to heal my gut & add enzymes nutrients & minerals that I could of been lacking from months of loose stools ( sorry tmi) .... well all I can say is AMAZING, within a short space of time I had no bloating wind or other gut issues & my energy is through the roof!

Pm me if you would like any more info

Hoping this advice can help & you are feeling tip top very soon

Much love Kaz x

robotwars

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 06:38:40 PM »

well Ali 61 this is me, I have been having menopausal symptoms for the last 8 years and I have tried HRT pills, 4 different sorts, patches and the gel and utrogestan . the gel and utro was the best for My hot flushes and muscular aches but my IBS and Diverticular disease has been awful, the doctor said there was no connection but I stopped HRT 4 weeks ago and stomach feels a little better but the muscular aches and hot flushes are back with vengeance!! haven't had a full nights sleep in weeks!!!! I don't know what to do or how to control my stomach and bowel problems!! The IBS is making my working life hell!!!!!!! im totally fed up with it. Doctor did give me some mebrevine to take 3 times a day before eating.... im not sure if its doing any good or not...….

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 06:54:47 PM »

See my other reply to your other post robotwars hopefully it'll be helpful lol.x D.D

ali 61

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 07:07:18 PM »

robotwars.... I have been reading a lot today to better inform my decisions. There have been some large scientific studies done, and it seems that women on HRT are twice as likely as those not on HRT, to either develop IBS or see an increase in existing IBS.
It does state that some women see an improvement in HRT, but that is not the majority.  :-\
Now I'm really confused what to do.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 09:03:05 PM »

My Mum used apple cider vinegar in water for years.  Aloe Vera is supposedly really good, but apparently tastes vile  :-X