Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Changes to my HRT  (Read 805 times)

Joanne13H

Changes to my HRT
« on: August 31, 2019, 07:33:13 PM »

Hi - I was prescribed Elleste Duet originally but due to access issues was changed to Novofem 1mg.Every time I start on the progesterone cycle  I get awful headaches and reflux ( but mainly manageable ) I discussed with GP about an oestrogen patch and Utrogestan 100 mg. She has now put me on this regime with a 25mcg patch of Estradot. I started with my first patch on Thurs - I have had the most awful headache and just feel generally rubbish. More rubbish than when I was on the Novofem! I am trying to establish is it the patch ? Lower dose of oestrogen or is it the
progesterone ?? I thought I might
tolerate the Utrogestan better as have been told this regime is the gold standard ! Is it just a case of settling down on this? I have an interview on Tues and I can barely concentrate ☹️Any advice ?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Changes to my HRT
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 07:39:23 PM »

:bighug:

sheila99

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 09:15:42 PM »

Try taking it cyclically for a couple of months (200mg for 12 days). It's usually the progesterone that causes trouble and this way you'll be able to tell if it is for you.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 11:33:03 AM »

Hi Joanne13H - are you taking utrogestan every day? If so as sheila99 says it could be this causing your ongoing symptoms. Or was the headache just on the oestrogen only patches?

Also 25 mcg patch is a low dose so it may be that you need a higher dose - 50 mcg is deemed to be medium dose.

Hurdity x

Sammiejane

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 01:18:15 PM »

Hi guys

Are any of you taken ovestin for vaginal atrophy ?

I need some advice I have been on it 8 months and have started to feel burning in vagina and irritation I'm not sure if this is due to low estrogen as I haven't been obsorbing the estrogel very well as my levels are only 104 and have dropped from 195 or if it's the Ovestin itself .

I tried vagifem initially but 5 weeks into starting it I had lots of hairloss shedding and thought the vagifem was causing it but not so sure now as hair still shedding some websites state it causes hairloss and other don't so really confused

Joanne13H

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 07:08:00 PM »

Hi Joanne13H - are you taking utrogestan every day? If so as sheila99 says it could be this causing your ongoing symptoms. Or was the headache just on the oestrogen only patches?

Also 25 mcg patch is a low dose so it may be that you need a higher dose - 50 mcg is deemed to be medium dose.

Hurdity x
Hi- I have just started on this new regime last Thurs. So on day 6 of Utrogestan. Headaches had settled on Sun/ Mon.Applied new patch yest and headaches started today . Also my appetite has gone and started with hot flushes again... so I just stick at it . I'm beginning to think I should revert back to Novofem ☹️

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 07:43:31 PM »

Give it a little while longer then ask for a 50 mcg patch as 25 is very low. Also you didn't say if you are on daily utrogestan or cyclical? If you are on daily Utro and you are still peri then you should be taking it cyclically from Days 15-26 where Day 1 is first day of bleed. This will enable you to see what's what re oestrogen and progesterone and how you feel on oestrogen only or both together and changing from one to the other. Sorry to hear about the headches - more likely to be the utro if you've been on HRT before and haven't had a break so your body is used to oestrogen - unless they're caused by low oestrogen?

Hurdity x

Joanne13H

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 08:29:29 PM »

Thanks for advice x I've been prescribed Utrogestan to be taken daily- from 1-25. 2 weeks ago I was running /exercising daily - now I'm dry eyed / hot flushing and headaches. I opted for this regime as the progesterone element of Novofem made me feel a bit off- but not like this! I also keep getting a pulsing in my ear!Dr checked all that out and said nothing to worry about. Bloody hormones eh. X