Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mirena Coil & Continual Progesterone  (Read 1752 times)

Hurdity

Re: Mirena Coil & Continual Progesterone
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 08:32:54 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, just trying to way up the pro's and con's of continuing taking Utrogestan compared to having a Mirena coil fitted. Utrogestan used vaginally surely would be absorbed similarily to the progesterone that's released from a Mirena coil. I would prefer to have the least possible collateral damage. Still really confused and my doctor is no help at all. :(

I don't want to get drawn into arguing about the minutiae of this and that and detract from your main concern Tracey E. Nothing alters the bigger picture and main message and my view is there is little more at this point that anyone (well most of us ordinary mortals  ::) ) can infer from the very complex data that was presented. All we can do is go on what the eminent medics and scientists say about it and their recommendations, and any subsequent guidance from NICE if any (I learned from another site they may produce a guidance note to GPs?).  I doubt many of us could possibly interpret this ourselves. I really don't think it should alter drastically our view of HRT although women might decide to tweak their own specific regime - yes there are slightly increased risks of breast cancer from taking HRT . Looking at lifestyle factors (alcohol, body weight, fitness especially) is one way to minimise this - but the overall risk of breast cancer is very low and we benefit in so many other ways from HRT. There may also be risks from not taking it so we have to weigh these up.  As I said before - I would suggest you go with whatever regime gives you the greaest obvious benefit and the least side effects. Personally I would always go for the bio-identical Utrogestan but many women ( including myself) don't like this, and especially if it is taken continuously - there can be side effects. What would be the point of minimising the risks if you were miserable for much of the time over the next X years?

I wish you all the best in making your decision but try to make it boldly and confidently if you can, don't stress over it, and then get on with your life without worry on that score!

Hurdity x

bear

Re: Mirena Coil & Continual Progesterone
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2019, 06:06:53 PM »

Hi BeaR, once again thank you, I'm trying to digest these findings and make some sort of sense if the info provided. :)

Hi Tracey E, you're welcome!

If you need to discuss anything else, I'll be glad to help if I can. I hope you can manage to get all the info you need to choose what's best for you.

I am certainly mortal (unfortunately) but I don't think I'm ordinary at all, actually I have some special needs, but being different doesn't mean you're better or worse than anyone, thank goodness knowledge is nothing but a never ending journey and I just love it!

BeaR.
Pages: 1 [2]