Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena only possible?  (Read 1026 times)

keancy

Mirena only possible?
« on: October 15, 2018, 07:20:14 PM »

Sorry I keep posting at the moment but................Curious question!!! I am currently on Estrogen gel and have Mirena.  I have been feeling miserable and consider stopping the estrogen gel HRT side and try a natural way again. Here is the question. Could I keep Mirena in place or would it cause complications only having the progesterone part??
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:22:17 PM by keancy »

Dancinggirl

Re: Mirena only possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 07:48:16 PM »

Are you still peri meno? How long have you had the Mirena ?
Why do you feel it's the oestrogen causing your low mood?
Did you have low mood before you started HRT?
I am not sure whether it is wise to leave the Mirena in place without oestrogen - there could be a chance of over thinning of the womb lining so you need to check about this with a gynaecologist. Though systemic absorption is less with the Mirena, there will be some progesterone effects and this can give PMT type symptoms, especially if there isn't any oestrogen to counter this.
What ‘natural' way are you thinking of trying? The only true alternative to HRT is simply concentrating on lifestyle - a good diet, exercise and relaxation techniques. I have tried almost every ‘alternative' remedy there is and nothing really works except HRT - HRT is basically a hormonal supplement using hormones that are either identical or similar to what our bodies produce - so don't waste money on any costly alternatives.
I really understand how hard it is to cope with the meno  - it messes with our heads. I don't know how long you have been on the Oestrogel but it can take some months for things to settle and improve. Some women need an AD/SSRI alongside HRT.
DG x

keancy

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 06:35:23 AM »

Hi DG. This is really a follow on from my other post the other day where I wrote the entire sorry tale.

I am not low or depressed but have loads of anxiety and severe sore breasts. Mirena been on place a year now.

I am only cutting Sandrena from 2mg a day yo 1mg a day for now just curious.

Thank you for the reply hun

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 07:30:36 AM »

Is the anxiety a new thing or are you prone to anxiety generally anyway - as many of us are.
Firstly, it is common for anxiety to ramp up when meno hits.
Secondly, because HRT has had such a bad press, many women really worry about being on it. There is also still a stigma over HRT because using HRT is often seen as a weakness as many ( including the medical profession) feel menopause is something we should just cope with. 
Thirdly, most drugs and treatments will bring side effects and people mostly accept this and put up with side effects because they want the benefits of the treatments. It's only if the side effects outweigh the benefits that it makes any treatment not really worth taking - one exception being cancer treatments.
The sore breasts should settle with a lower dose of oestrogen but I am wondering whether you are very sensitive to progesterone and even the low systemic absorption of the Mirena is too much for you. I'm afraid there are some women who do react very negatively to progesterone.
For some it appears that very high doses of oestrogen can help with anxiety, whereas others do better in lower doses. I really think you should persevere on the lower dose for a while and try some relaxation techniques ( which I rely on heavily)) to control the anxiety. DG x

keancy

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 05:08:28 PM »

DR, again I'd like you thank for your reply and patience with Me, very much appreciated.

The panic attacks are a new thing ( last two weeks) I have always been a slightly anxious person. I only get a day or two a month when I feel down and I can cope with that. The panic however is quite unpleasant.

This isn't my first Mirena I had two in the past and tolerated them well but that was years ago before Peri and I had the last one removed 10 years ago before getting my tubes tied.

I feel my hormones seem to change on a almost daily if not hourly basis. Mornings are always bad, afternoons are mostly ok and in evenings I am just shattered but then when it comes to bedtime I fall asleep rapidly only to keep waking in the night. I have also started to feel extremely nauseas the last few days.

I have now done one week of the lower amount of estrogen ( Sandrena Gel 1mg) and my boobs have become barable but I am rediculessly fatuiged ( had to drop a day at work short term) I find my GPs seem to be bored with my frequent visits and they don't seem to care now. I live very remotely so there isn't another surgery I could swap to instead.

UGH!!!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 06:49:12 PM »

I don't think you problem is the Mirena - if you've had one before successfully then it's unlikely to cause problems now.
I do think that orstegn is the key to helping you and it's about finding the right dose. Try to stick with your current dose.
Do you do any relaxation techniques? I do Mindfulness which I find really helpful. Try to eat small, highly nutritious meals regularly through the day and follow a good sleep hygiene regime ( look this up online if you haven't done this before) - these strategies could help to keep your blood sugar levels stable and prevent the chance of a panic attack. There are so many aspects of our body that can be effected by the meno and it really messes with our heads.
Also try to do some simple exercise - 10 minute brisk walks, 3 times a day can work wonders at lifting mood.
Stay positive and try to get on with life - don't over think things - and hopefully things will settle.
DG x

keancy

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 09:12:09 PM »

As much as I appreciate the exercise advice ( which my GP also recommended) I work 8 hours on my feet physically in a factory (start 8am finish 4.30pm) by the time I get home I have absolutey zero left in the tank to even contemplate walking more.

I do practice the sleep routine yes. Bed same time each day no computers or phone over an hour before bed ECT.

Thanks again hun

BlueButterfly

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 09:29:34 PM »

I would avoid doing Mirena only. As has been mentioned, it could thin your uterine lining too much. I have a friend that works in a hospital and she has seem the Mirena pierce through the lining and into the abdominal cavity because of the thinning. So just as a warning. I would think if you were going to try the natural route, have the Mirena removed to avoid the excess thinning or have it watched very carefully.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 09:55:20 PM »

Sorry Keancy - I forgot that you had such a physically tough job. Maybe it  is the relaxing techniques you need to do more of.
It's so tough to be working so hard and cope with meno symptoms.
I'm 62 now and stopped hrt 2 years ago - I simply couldn't do a full time job anymore. I had to give up a job I loved last year because I couldn't cope anymore.   I now do freelance stuff plus B&B in my home. How the government thinks we can work full time till 66 without appropriate help with meno symptoms I really don't know.
Keep us posted. DG x

keancy

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 09:30:38 AM »

Butterfly, thank you for your reply I appreciate it. For now I will try the 1mg Sandrena with Mirena because I cannot face going back to the periods. Hopefully this will work out.

DG yes I have cut Wednesday's for now but the problem is that financially this can only be a short term option because of commitments we have and I cannot lay the extra on my husband's door as he is already a very hard worker. It's tough.