Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Palpitations  (Read 1747 times)

Focus

Palpitations
« on: August 27, 2019, 09:15:32 AM »

Started having the odd palpitation a while ago (a month ago? A couple of months ago?).

Had pretty much a whole day of them last week.

They didn't feel too bad and I know they're nothing to worry about really.

The only constant thing of this whole process seems to be the feeling anxious and the feeling slightly down pretty much all the time.

Jari

Re: Palpitations
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 09:28:53 AM »

Hi Focus, I've found whenever I've had or get palpitations, a good walk in the country or wherever puts them right back in their place! ;) x

Focus

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 10:51:12 AM »

Thank you!

I'm just resting up after a really intense month of work - and I'm actually in the country...lol! And I've just had a morning of at home beauty treatments :)

I'm feeling reasonably pleased as I managed to keep up a pretty good fitness routine during the month (except maybe the last couple of days. I was so tired by then I could barely do anything). I got a discounted rate for a really good gym through the job I was doing, and it was only a 15 minute walk from where I was staying. I did a fair bit of cardio, and some classes in there as well. I tried boxing for the first time and absolutely loved it!! I loved it so much I actually found a gym near my house that does women only classes, so I'm going to go and check it out.

Also managed to eat reasonably well and healthy. Lots of vegetables, protein, the odd treat. I got a big bar of 85% cocoa chocolate and had a square even now and then. I didn't manage to finish it, but got gradually used to it over the course of the month. I think if I went down to 75% or 80% it would feel very luxurious.

My friend hasn't been in touch. She's not even liked any of my social media posts, either work posts (we are both self employed and work in the safe field) or any ones on my own page (which tend to be work, but from a slightly more personal angle).

Jari

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 11:52:37 AM »

It sounds like you're doing some really great things and resting up with beauty treatments in the country sounds fab!! :)

Eating really healthily too which is great. I sometimes get bars of dark chocolate, but something seems to take over in my brain and I can't stick to just one square. I must work on that. Lol

Friends can be disappointing sometimes. Don't worry about that and concentrate on doing all these things you're already doing and enjoy your recharge in the country.

What stage of menopause are you at? X

Focus

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 02:50:42 PM »

Thanks Jari.

I started taking the combined pill in December to cope with the flooding/clots, so I'm not totally sure.

I'm pretty sure I can still feel stuff happening in the background, as it were. I reckon the CP is just evening out the rough edges a bit.

I reckon my oestrogen is dropping now and has been since about mid May. I can feel super dehydrated sometimes. I usually drink a lot of liquid during the day anyway as I've suffered from a lot of cystitis and UTIs in my adult life, and will have a half pint glass of liquid by my bedside, which I always totally finish overnight. But when I'm feeling dehydrated I'll drink a litre of water overnight just to feel normal.

squeaker99

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 03:07:36 PM »

Hi Focus. Just to say I am 3 years into Peri and last January has some funny heart flutters, it felt like it was vibrating, especially at night when I lay on my left side. I was also very anxious at the time (still am!).

I went to the GP just to stop me worrying really. He said he thought as I wasn't breathless and no pain given my age and history of anxiety/Peri it was fine but did an ECG on the spot (which was fine). At my request he also arranged a 24 hours heart monitor. I was very nervous about this. All was fine. After a few weeks they stopped. I also found that when I take proprananol which I do occasionally for anxiety they came back somewhat.   I am sure it is hormone related. Also stay off the coffee and alcohol as in Peri I find these really make me sweat and get me jittery.

So do get checked I would say then you can get on with your life without worrying. Having something like that is a pain as it stays with you 24/7 and I think focusing on it makes you more aware of things that are actually natural.

Focus

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 03:59:35 PM »

Thanks squeaker!

I do suffer from quite bad anxiety (PTSD) but I'm not anxious or stressed out about the palpitations. I've had so many of the other usual (and more unusual) peri symptoms and I'm pretty sure this is just another one.

It's really just another in the long list of stuff I've noticed *sigh*

bear

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 05:20:38 PM »

Hi Focus,

When I have palpitations I cough and they go away  :)
Here's a good article https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-disease-overview/skipping-a-beat--the-surprise-of-palpitations

BeaR.

Focus

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 08:30:43 AM »

Thank you all.

Bit stressed today with everything that's going on. Palpitations much stronger.

I've got an appointment to get more of my pill tomorrow evening. I might ask the doctor about palpitations then. She was really good when I was there last, super respectful and took nothing for granted.

She was very happy to do my fibroid ultrasound from the outside. There was only one point where I started getting triggered and zoned out.