Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Joint GP Consultations?  (Read 2360 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Joint GP Consultations?
« on: October 06, 2018, 10:21:36 AM »

Headline in the Telegraph today - what happened to confidentiality?  I can see it working in group support situations for chronic illness but as one commentator said and I echoed, 'you might as well shout it via the town Crier!'

Katejo

Re: Joint GP Consultations?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 11:23:36 AM »

Headline in the Telegraph today - what happened to confidentiality?  I can see it working in group support situations for chronic illness but as one commentator said and I echoed, 'you might as well shout it via the town Crier!'
  This was being discussed on the BBC news 24 newspaper review last night but I came in on the middle of the discussion so didn't hear enough detail. They didn't seem that happy with it.

Cazikins

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 11:45:24 AM »

I think it would be a great idea for a group discussion on menopause issues. In fact some woman would be able to educate GP's "on mass" about the problems woman face getting the correct meds & advice & guidance.

We are always on here complaining that we can't get appointments for several weeks. This is one way of freeing up appointments. It could work if it was voluntary & it was the choice of the patient to attend. We have often said wouldn't it be nice if our GP's had a support group for menopausal woman - well this could be a start.

Diabetis/Asthma/weight control/smoking cessation patients could benefit from each other as well as meno. Tips/support & understanding could be found from people with a similar condition. It's just a thought. ::)

Here is the link I think CLKD mentioned.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/05/gps-see-patients-groups-15/

Cazikins x
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:48:05 AM by Cazikins »

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 05:06:32 PM »

I was forced to sign on to my village surgery, when my town surgery decided I was 'out of area' (I was 'in area' when I moved there; they moved the area)  >:(  I liked not knowing anyone there.  It was bigger, so there were plenty of nurses and doctors to choose from.

It is bad enough running the gauntlet of the waiting room to have appointments with the former school PTA chair. I don't really want shared appointments with them all.  :-\

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 05:23:55 PM »

I heard something about this on  Radio 4 today. I can see that it might work in the way it's being talked about for people who may have been diagnosed with a condition, such as arthritis, and have already been seen and assessed. It's a bit like a support group with the doctor present I suppose. I can't see how it would work with ordinary appointments though when you are going to discuss a new illness, symptom or worry? Mind you with a seven week wait for an appointment at our surgery now any appointment would be good!! I feel so sorry for the doctors and the reception staff. They have worked really hard to replace the three doctors who left over the summer but can only find GP's who are willing to work one or two days a week. Tough times ahead I think.

Taz x

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 05:43:26 PM »

Er, not for me thanx.....

When I tell my doc I think I've got thrush, and he says, ‘ok , jillydoll, up on the bed, let's have a look, ) and there's a room full of strangers, neighbors, kids, dirty old men, ect....
All there looking as well, NO Thanx,.........  :rofl:

Only joking girls,  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 08:06:37 PM »

That was my first thought  ;D ......... NOWIGH?

They aren't consultations though, they are group support meetings.  They tried to encourage me to have group meetings when I had anxiety but why would I want to share something that is personal  :-\.  What if I had met someone that I knew ...... it would be round the village B4 I got back!!!

Confidentiality is important. 

SHOs haven't been opting for GP work for over 10 years due to the lack of morale, many are going abroad.  Where they work less hours and have more time with each patient.  Those that trained when I was in the NHS are reaching retirement age and there aren't enough to fill the gaps.

Apparently the computer system has gone down, the Surgery has been re-arranged and I can no longer order meds via e-mail .........

sheila99

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 10:20:56 PM »

For the chronic conditions they're talking about I think it's a good idea, you can learn a lot from other people in the same boat. Just as long as it's voluntary as it won't be suitable for some conditions or some people.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 02:30:29 PM »

But that surely wouldn't require GP attendance  :-\.  The consideration is to have patients with similar conditions seen at the same time, in the same room  :o ......... but appointments should be confidential!  I don't see how this will actually save time  :-\

sheila99

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 03:51:14 PM »

I don't think it's for the initial appointment where they're investigating what you've got. Not exactly sure but I think everyone will sign a confidentiality clasue. For long term problems such as asthma or type 2 diabetes the advice will most likely be the same for everyone. I wouldn't be happy about anything embarassing or terminal but I didn't think twice about going to shared anti-natal classes, I would rather they were shared. I'd be happy to be in a similar group situation for eg asthma, diabetes, menopause etc. How much have we gained from discussing menopause amongst ourselves? I've learned far more from the forum than from the doctor.  And there's a lot be said for the moral support of a group, you don't feel you're facing it alone. Often someone with the condition will have better advice than the doctor who hasn't experienced it themselves. I believe the idea is that it will be longer than a standard appointment and the GP will be there for some of it. I would hope if you have anything personal to discuss you could still book a standard appointment. 

dahliagirl

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 09:46:52 PM »

A confidentiality agreement is pointless if the people you want your info to stay confidential from are in your appointment group though.  ;D

On the radio, they were talking about putting people's cholesterol results etc on a board  :o

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 06:51:10 PM »

Jeremy Vine had this topic on today but didn't make much of it!   I can't see how it will cut down GP time.  A medical professional will have to be in the sessions in order to keep patients on topic.  [look how we meander  ::)].

It was pointed out that there are already support groups for many chronic ailments but that is different.  MIND for example have walk-in centres  :-\ .......   with all due respect, pregnancy isn't an illness.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »

Yep.  Years ago our receptionist would read out results over the 'phone, i.e. "Hello X, your results for ...... came back as ........ " and I asked for a radio to be installed due to the fact that every word from behind the GP's door could be heard  :o  >:(

Also, if there was the necessity for group consults, I would have to shave my legs  :D