Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT seems to not be working anymore? Please help  (Read 1378 times)

NorthArm

HRT seems to not be working anymore? Please help
« on: September 22, 2018, 06:33:50 AM »

:'(
Hi Ladies
I've not been chatting much on here lately, but I have popped in from time to time to check how you're all going...

My concern is this - I use an Estradot 50 patch, together with Urtogestan 100mg orally for about 12 days a month. I've been using the Utogestan for the last two months. Now, I'm not sure if I may have passed through peri, but I didn't have a withdrawal bleed when it was due about two weeks ago. And for the last couple of months, since starting the Urtogestan, I've noticed the hot flushes are back - usually between 3 & 4 in the afternoon, and (very occasionally) I am woken by them at night too. My anxiety for the last four weeks or so has been thru the roof too, almost like when the symptoms appeared out of the blue last year :( and very teary with mood swings out of control.

Is it possible the hrt can stop working like that? After about 4 months of feeling almost normal, I really feel like I'm back at square one :(

Hurdity

Re: HRT seems to not be working anymore? Please help
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 07:49:38 AM »

Hi there - if you are peri-menopausal still then your own hormones can contribute to symptoms eg mood swings etc even while on HRT. If you are post-menopausal your oestrogen levels gradually fall over the next two years, so if you've been on HRT some women find they do need to increase dose slightly due to resumption of symptoms.  Also some women find their symptoms recur when on the progesterone part of the HRT - as if the progesterone is interfering with the beneficial effects of the oestrogen, so some actually increase their dose at this time - tricky with a patch but for a while I used 62.5 mcg ie one patch + a quarter ( I cut another 50 into 4). Mine was nothing to do with flushes but just saying it's possible to increase dose slightly with a patch. You could see how it goes and then ask if you can go onto 75 mcg - you can always cut this down a bit at first? The other thing is re the bleed - 100 mg oral progesterone is half the licensed dose so this could be the reason for lack of bleed ie maybe you need a stronger dose (eg 200 mg or take the 100 mg vaginally which is more effective - to see if this makes a difference?).  The other reason (for lack of bleed) could be your womb lining hasn't thickened enough. What were your periods/cycle doing before you started HRT? I hope you manage to work out a regime so that you feel better most of the time - even though there will still be ups and downs while peri-menopausal.

Hurdity x

NorthArm

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 09:17:46 AM »

Thank you Hurdity  :)

I'm not sure any more whether I'm in peri and have passed through lol. I bled heavily non stop before starting HRT in August last year and have trialled Premarin, Femoston 2/10, Tibolone and since January have been using oestrogen patches with separate progesterone.

I started on 25mcg Estradot with 1.25 mg norethisterone, and in April started 50mcg with 1.25mg norethisterone. This was ok, but I thought I'd try the Urtogestan from June. I had the withdrawal bleed in July and August, but this month, nothing? But I feel seriously as though I have pmt on steroids! How can we tell if we're peri or post whilst we're taking hrt?

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 03:54:03 PM »

Hi all i've been wondering how you tell if you are post while taking hrt
I am 48, peri and on femoston =I don't plan on stopping...... ever!
But how will i know that i am post?

NorthArm

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 07:36:33 AM »

Oh lol Sgvhilts
I posted a reply on your post xx