Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 1601 times)

Ju Ju

What would you do?
« on: September 17, 2018, 12:13:53 PM »

DH bought a lovely wallet for me in an expensive outdoor clothing shop. I noticed there were some notes in it, but assumed they were toy town money. When I took them out, I found 50 American dollars, but assumed they weren't real. When on holiday, we visited a branch of this store, as DH was looking for some clothes. I looked at their stock of this wallet, but found no dollars. When we got home, we checked web sites to see if they were real, which they appear to be. $50 would be very useful particularly as my son lives in the USA. However, it didn't feel comfortable keeping it. DH rang up the local store and reported it. They were intrigued, but of course, asked us to return the money. DH said certainly, as long they let us know if they solve the mystery about why there was money in the wallet. Next thing, DH got a phone call from head office to ask him him if he would mind accepting £20 voucher! No he didn't mind! Honesty pays sometimes!

Shadyglade

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 12:21:26 PM »

Sounds like you did the right thing to me.  The other alternative would have been to put the money in a charity box.  Either way I don't suppose it would be possible to find the person the money belonged too. 

Isn't life strange.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 07:39:16 PM »

That's a strange one JuJu.

But well done on getting the 20 quid voucher.
Maybe you'll never know how that money got in there...

ariadne

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 08:03:05 PM »

How mysterious. Was the wallet boxed and wrapped? If it was then surely it had to be the shop assistant who put the notes in. If It wasn't maybe it was a random act of kindness by someone who slipped them in there ☺

At any rate, well done for getting a reward for your honesty.

Ariadne xx

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 09:12:25 PM »

I thought that too, just a random act , who finds keeps, kinda thing.
Maybe there is some kindness out there after all, I'd like to think so
anyway.....

JaneinPen

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 07:45:57 AM »

You did the right thing Ju Ju.  I once found a folded 10 pound note in a car park and deliberated for a long time on what to do. I felt handing it in was probably a waste of time as most people if losing money would assume it wouldn't be handed in or wouldn't know where they lost it and if they couldn't say for sure where they lost it then they probably wouldn't get it back from the police anyway so as it was nearly time for the Macmillan coffee morning they got an extra donation that year

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 10:06:14 PM »

Well done!  I would have done the same but not returned it until they had solved the mystery  ;)

I found 2 x £10.00 notes in the middle of nowhere years ago, on a hike that I wasn't enjoying at all.  There was no-one around, a jogger came towards us so we asked if he had run over the mountain already - in case he was returning to look for the money - but nope, he jogged on the spot rather short temperedly at our query.  It brightened my day, that £20 quidders - never saw another sole.

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 05:13:15 AM »

I'll enjoy the £20 voucher. I wouldn't have enjoyed the $50. The whole mystery brightened up their day too! We were all making up scenarios about how the money got in the wallet. The wallet was absolutely new, complete with stickers and labels. I wondered whether it was bought as a gift and the money put in it as part of the gift, but the person who received it, didn't want it and returned it immediately. However, it was a new line. The company does have a branch or branches in the USA apparently.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 09:11:00 AM »

Now: what to spend it on ...............  ;D something that you wouldn't usually buy?

ariadne

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 03:22:09 PM »

Maybe a worker in the wallet factory wanted to brighten someone's day.

Years ago, when I was picking up a serviette in the works canteen, I smiled to see that on the serviette underneath someone had written "Help! I'm a prisoner in a serviette factory "

Ariadne xx

Shadyglade

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 04:35:10 PM »

Brilliant  ;D

I do love a quirky sense of humour.