Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: patch and mirena coil?  (Read 937 times)

Seven8Nine

patch and mirena coil?
« on: September 13, 2018, 01:31:38 PM »

Hi there

I'm onto month 3 of my elleste solo & ustrogen combo. I have started to feel much better. I'm 47 and peri.

I have been taking the ustrogen vaginally which seems to be working really well for me as I was worried having not reacted well to the mini pill.

Because of this I am thinking of trying the mirena coil (for BC) and combining it with the patch?

Few questions:

I know the ustrogen is to help thin the lining, how does the mirena do that? My friend who has the mirena coil doesn't bleed?

Can anyone suggest what patch and dose I should request? Currently on 2mg Elleste solo.

How will I know when I am post menopause on the mirena?

My mum menopaused in her 40's and my sister who is 49 and hasn't had a period in 18 months so also got me thinking I might be better to come off HRT completely but worried if the symptoms all come back.

I waited 3 months for AF earlier this year to start HRT but it didn't arrive so I just started from advise here and by my GP friend.

Any advise or experiences is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Dancinggirl

Re: patch and mirena coil?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:44:47 PM »

The Mirena is essentially delivering the progesterone more directly to where it is needed, which keeps the womb lining thin - this usually means no bleeding at all after the first few weeks. The Mirena is popular because less progesterone is  absorbed systemically, so fewer progesterone side effects.
It will need to be changed every 4 years as part of hrt.
I believe the average dose of oestrogen in patch form would be 50mcg - transdermal is more effective so a slightly lower dose is often fine as when taking oral oestrogen so much is lost through the digestive system and liver.
Mirena with seperate transdermal oestrogen was the best hrt regime I ever had - and tried just about every hrt there is. DG x

Seven8Nine

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 07:13:50 PM »

Thanks so much for your reply DG, makes sense, very useful and very much appreciated.

Good to hear that was the best hrt regime you had, do you have a particular brand name for the 50mcg transdermal oestrogen? I need to be specific to my GP as last time she prescribed mare urine oestrogen! Thankfully MM ladies saved me from it 👍🏼

Thanks again.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 07:22:52 PM »

Estrodot are the smallest and easiest patches to use. Good luck. DG x

Seven8Nine

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 04:00:13 PM »

Thank you DG 💐

Does anyone know if all GP's check breasts and/or internal checks prior to HRT? The leaflet for estrodot (online) suggests this? Should I ask my GP? http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/spcpil/documents/spcpil/con1497593004474.pdf

Thanks

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 07:48:26 AM »

They may do - it will depend on how well they know you in terms of your general health or whether you have had any investigations recently. Technically they should examine you and check blood pressure etc. DG x

Seven8Nine

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 10:55:24 AM »

Thank you DG x