Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Tips for dealing with "You're too young"  (Read 1778 times)

BlueButterfly

Tips for dealing with "You're too young"
« on: September 24, 2018, 07:39:05 PM »

Does anyone have tips on getting doctors to listen to you about how your hormones are affecting how you feel and what you are dealing with? I'm sick of having blood tests for everything else under the sun (and being ridiculously healthy) but when I bring up that my symptoms get worse during certain times of my cycle like clock work, I just hear that I'm too young. I get it, I'm young but I started on testosterone replacement before 30 because my ovaries weren't working as they should and BCP at the time as well to manage everything else. This was great for me at the time...only used the testosterone for a few years before it seemed to stop working and recently got off the BCP as it was no longer helping me feel stable like it used to (I need to find something else but suffering for a few months so I can have my hormones tested, hopefully). I really want to know what is going on with my hormones. I'm waiting on yet another round of tests for a bunch of other things and just have the craziest feeling that they'll come back as 'fine' like everything else.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Tips for dealing with "You're too young"
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 07:43:43 PM »

Nope.  Other than asking them what they really expect a menopausal woman to look like and experience?  Some GPs believe that unless a woman complains of hot sweats then they ain't at menopause.  How old are you?

Is there a GP keen on womens' health or a Practise Nurse?  How about talking with your Pharmacist to see which Surgeries support menopause actively?

BlueButterfly

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 08:08:38 PM »

Just 36. Thing is I was already dealing with hot sweats/flushes before 30! I have one doctor years ago that finally listened after trying to get help for how I was feeling. It took about 5 years to find someone that didn't try telling me I was just depressed! I even had one doc tell me that I was having some hormonal imbalance and should get on birth control...fine, call up and ask about being tested and flat out told that they wouldn't because I wasn't going through menopause!

Finally after a few years of just suffering, I found a GYN that listened and suggested hormone testing without me bringing it up. That's how we found out I have almost no testosterone and then was tested to see why and it was my ovaries starting to 'shut down' is what I was told. So on to BCP and Testosterone replacement....felt great for several years and then in the last year, even while on BCP, things started to be a bit weird....bleeding was different sometimes....almost non-existent every few months....new pains and aches down there, lost my mind (worse than usual on trying to remember things, not forget what I was doing or trying to have the same conversation a few times because I couldn't remember I already asked that question), just all around different...hot flushes seemed to be coming back but not bad. Then about 4 months ago, severe anxiety, on a period week....heart palpitations, digestion issues....more forgetful than ever really. I've been checked for just about everything (this last round of tests should take care of everything but hormones).

My gut tells me hormone problems and I've tried to just dismiss it a couple of times but nothing else they mention seems to fit.
I know I'm sick of feeling like I've lost my mind and my kids aren't enjoying "crazy mommy" so much.

How long should I wait after stopping the BCP to get tested? 2-3 months?

Peripurple

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 06:45:15 AM »

Hi blue butterfly,  just to say I understand completely.  I am 42 but started with symptoms 2 years ago. Recurring UTI's, and other symptoms of VA.  my anxiety got worse and shorter time between periods.  GP said I was too young, it wasn't until I saw a lovely practice nurse for another round of testing, she suggested hormones.  Sometimes the practice nurses who do all the well women stuff like smears etc are better informed.  She suggested I ask for a referral to our local women's clinic which I did and was promptly started on HRT.  My GP really doesn't understand as I am still trying to find a regime which suits me so I have now gone privately. 

Annie0710

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 09:36:06 AM »

My ovaries were shutting down when I was 32, following my hysterectomy.  I had no idea what was wrong but luckily my gp was clued up, started me in hrt and ordered hormone tests.  Turned out I had very low oestrogen levels. 

I think the only thing to do is put it to them strongly to get you tested, and I'm guessing every so often your hormones ar surging hence why you're suffering again x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »

There is a time when ladies who go into early menopause should be on HRT - have a look-see at the daisy web-site for early menopause. Though I think that there is a charge for information?  HRT protects heart and bones. 

Vaginal atrophy is caused by the skin thinning but is initially treated differently - read our appropriate threads here. Make notes.  Ask your GP for localised treatment which will ease symptoms.

BlueButterfly

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 01:55:47 PM »

Thanks everyone.

Being pushy is definitely the answer. Got more blood tests back and had to meet with the doctor. I have an slightly abnormal liver enzyme test and my antibody test was abnormal as well so he wanted to meet with me to discuss the possibility of lupus. No other lupus specific symptoms are present so that was ruled out. Have nothing else to really indicate I have an autoimmune disease so that went nowhere. As for the liver, when I had my gallbladder checked, they found a very slightly fatty liver thanks to genetics. I've never had a drop of alcohol in my life and they recommend I stay away from it for sure now.  :( Too bad, it might have helped me relax sometimes! So nothing concerning with that. He was still waiting on the cortisol and B12 tests and mentioned chronic fatigue or adrenal fatigue as a possibility. (Neither of which is completely recognized as an actual medical condition here -US-and no real treatment) I really pushed the hormone factor...took a few tries but he ordered the test and I'm good to go in now and get it done when I start my next cycle.

Honestly, sometimes being healthy on paper isn't so great when you aren't feeling it. I feel okay (mostly healthy) but at the same time not okay. 

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 02:41:36 PM »

Once those tests are through then ask for treatment suitable for a lady in menopause?  Do you keep a mood/food/syptom diary which may be useful?

BlueButterfly

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 02:55:16 PM »

I did start a mood/symptom journal but haven't started a food one. I think I need to though. I believe I might have an issue with gluten now. Did really well not eating for a month but then the last few days I couldn't resist. I'm feeling like I have less control with the anxiety now. Not sure if it is connected or not.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 03:27:19 PM »

It can certainly be connected.  One feeds the other.  A good regular diet, eating B4 the body needs it, can ease anxiety.