Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Tried The Pill Out of Desperation & Feel Much Better on it!  (Read 1377 times)

Tangerinedreams

Tried The Pill Out of Desperation & Feel Much Better on it!
« on: September 09, 2018, 12:16:35 PM »

Hi Ladies, I've not posted in a long time, just been muddling through really.  I started getting peri symptoms about 4 - 5 years ago and it was pratically life changing.  I used to suffer from really bad cramps leading up to a period and had all the tests done for endometriosis etc, had scans done, womb lining tested, they couldn't find anything wrong with me.  I was also getting hot flushes and mood swings, general aches and pains etc.  So I was first put on Femoston Sequi which didn't suit me, the 2nd half of the pack was awful and made my stomach cramps worse.  I tried Estrogel and Utrogestan that didn't suit me either the Utrogeston at 1 pill a day made me feel like a Zombie.

I eventuall went on Femseven Sequi, which seem to be best for me, but had a few problems getting hold of them as they seemed to be being discontinued.  Anyway, now getting to the main point of my post, my aches and pains were getting worse and I was getting a lot of problems with my back, aching at night, it's mainly upper back pain and also my shoulders are affected.  I even bought a new mattress, but it made no difference!  I went for an xray they said no oestoporosis but a slight sign of oesto arthritis, and prescribed Naproxen which gave me terrible side effects.  So out of desperation I tried a packet of my daughters contraceptive pill - it's called Katya low dose, 20/150, the progesterone is Gestodene, which seems to suit me perfectly, no stomach cramps and my back ache has gone!!

I took it for 3 months as she is longer taking it and all my symptoms stayed away.  Have now run out and gone back on Femseven Sequi, the back ache has reappeared after one week! 

I am now 50, so not sure what to do?  I could probably get away with taking it for another year or so? I can order it online.  I have had my blood pressure done and have low blood pressure and don't smoke, not over weight. 

Does anyone have any advice about taking this for another year or so, I'd do anything not to be suffering from the back ache and stomach cramps.  I am wondering if the progesterone acts like a sort of steriod and helps with the aches and pains?

dahliagirl

Re: Tried The Pill Out of Desperation & Feel Much Better on it!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 01:35:26 PM »

It will be difficult to get the combined pill over 50 as it is not licensed beyond then

https://www.fsrh.org/standards-and-guidance/documents/fsrh-guidance-contraception-for-women-aged-over-40-years-2017/  this is the most up to date guidance on contraception.  If you look around their website, there may be more info on the restrictions.

This is because of increased risk with stroke with age, combined with the increase risk of oral contraceptives.

Progestogen only is ok up to 55 but does not have the oestrogen.

One way round this is to get a Mirena coil for the progestogen part, and oestrogen patches or gel to go with it.  This gives you no periods (although it may take 6 months to get there) and the progestogen is concentrated where it is needed. You also do not have the week off, where your own hormones, which are supposed to take over, plummet coz you are menopausal, leading to headaches etc.  It also gives you contraception.  The problem here is that family planning clinics do not fit it over 50 - there is no contraindication for using it (and the above guidance says there is no - they are just being cheapskates) so you will have to go through a gynae if your GP cannot do it.  This is probably the gold standard if you are ok with the pill.  It lasts 5 years, then you will need to get a replacement Mirena.

The progestogen in Mirena is Levenogestrel, the same as FemSeven.

This is what I would have done if I had had the nerve to get the damned Mirena fitted in the first place.

I was good on the pill, but had to discontinue at 47 when they discovered I had migraines (I have always had them but no one asked and the new guidance came out 5 years before they took me off which was rubbish care on their part  ::)  :-X )  I was scared of having a mirena fitted, and thought that the meno was probably all over as I had had symtoms for about 4 years LOL  ;D ;D ;D  It wasn't >:(

I have always had aches and pains but they skyrocketed once I was off the pill, and have only partially been helped with Femoston 2/10. I also take vit D (3000 iu ) in the winter, magnesium and fish oil in a joint health capsule (you are supposed to need 3/day but I take 1 because it gives me the runs) and this helps too.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 01:37:39 PM by dahliagirl »

Tangerinedreams

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »

Thank you for your reply Dahlia Girl, I really don't fancy having a Mirena coil fitted, the idea of it makes me feel sick.  Thanks for the suggestion though, but I really don't like the thought of it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why my back ache has gone now I'm taking the pill?

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 12:18:58 PM »

Progestogens soften joints - maybe that is it?

I was actually 49, not 47 when I had to come off the pill.  ::)  Mirena was suggested and, yes, I had the same reaction as you.  ;D

I tried POP but my hormones sort of came back and boobs blew up like footballs and I had swollen privates (probably due to VA problems).  I threw in the towel after 12 weeks and 2 sorts.  I tried a year of taking my temp and following my 'cycles' but they were all over the place, no ovulation and randomly heavy and the VA was all over the place too as it is very difficult to use vagifem in those circumstances. It tried to find what 'stage' of meno I was and it all came back as 'late reproductive'. The joint pains were very random too - would wake up one morning stiff all over, and take about 3 days to wear off.

I have settled on Femoston, but the 'periods' drive me up the wall, and cause problems with the VA.  I wished I had given the Mirena a try, for the stability.  It is definitely worth looking at a vitD supplement and if you take it you will need a bit of magnesium too (but watch out it gives you the runs).