Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Age 43 and prescribed HRT  (Read 1534 times)

janmac99

Age 43 and prescribed HRT
« on: September 07, 2018, 03:10:36 PM »

Hoping for some guidance/advice. I had a period starting on 14th May, June and July came and went with no period. I went to the GP on 2nd August and she thought it was the beginnings of the menopause. I was prescribed transdermal patches 40mcg/24 hrs and Progesterone micronised 100mg capsule. My FSH test has come back at 28.2.  I had a period on 22 August. I hope to see the Dr a week today to discuss my results and that I have had a period since last been seen.

I have no symptoms of the menopause other than the missed monthly periods in June & July (14 weeks between them). I am wary of starting hrt when I feel ok and then read the side effects some of the ladies are having on HRT.

Thoughts much appreciated, I feel hesitant to take HRT.

Many thanks

QueenOfCamelot

Re: Age 43 and prescribed HRT
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 01:51:33 PM »

Hi I'm new too and like you a little too young to be going through the menopause, I'm no expert but I think you should get another blood test just to make sure.  Also I was wary of taking HRT and I'm very symptomatic so I'm taking soya isoflavones as recommended by a herbalist and my GP as an alternative if you're not symptomatic you could go without hrt I think but there is that risk of osteoporosis.  Again, I'm new to all this but those were just my initial thoughts there.  Nice to meet you anyway.

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 01:52:42 PM »

I think that all the evidence points to taking HRT earlier rather than later is the best way.  Symptoms creep upon you gradually so are hard to spot anyway.  Taking it now protects you against early osteoporosis and vaginal atrophy when you are older.  It is worth putting these off as long as you can  ;)

Cassie

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 01:53:39 PM »

If you are going through menopause younger than the average of approx 50 plus I strongly recommend you take HRT, the transdermal gels and patches are very safe and seem to have few side effects, you are only replacing what your body would normally have producted, hormone wise and are doing yourself an injustice by being without hormones, they have protective properties, for heart, bones, and general well being.

janmac99

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 01:07:41 PM »

Thanks everyone for your responses, it's very helpful to have other people's thoughts on my situation as I haven't a clue what to do. I read somewhere on this site that the patches I have been prescribed are medium strength (I may have misibterpreted this). So if I am to start taking HRT I would like to check that I am on the lowest strength as don't want to be taking more than what my system needs. I am hesitant to take HRT but also dont want my mindset to cause me issues later on in life with osteoporosis and heart etc issues and not being able to turn back time and start taking HRT. I hope to get an appt with a different female GP on Friday (on the day appts only) to get her take on things. Thank you again for all your advice it really does help when you're feeling a bit lost.

QueenOfCamelot

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 08:54:05 PM »

Good luck, I've decided to go with HRT as well due to the severity of my mood swings, accidentally hurt myself in one of my rages today enough is enough.  I hope you get on ok with the female GP, we don't have one in our practice sadly.  I hope it all works out for you.