Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Bladder irritation as a side effect of Estriol cream?  (Read 2138 times)

Katejo

Bladder irritation as a side effect of Estriol cream?
« on: September 03, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »

Estriol is supposed to help with vaginal atrophy so i have been trying it. Several times I found that I needed go to the loo very frequently during the night and produced a lot more urine than usual. Originally i thought that this effect was to do with a UTI but now I am not so sure. I looked up side effects of Estriol and bladder irritation was one of them. Now I am doubtful about its benefits.
Has anyone else had this problem?

robotwars

Re: Bladder irritation as a side effect of Estriol cream?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 07:09:47 PM »

I tried this cream and had similar problems to you so I changed to vagifem and its much better

Katejo

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 07:55:46 PM »

I tried this cream and had similar problems to you so I changed to vagifem and its much better
I did try to suggest Vagifem to a GP once but they seemed reluctant. I will have to try again with this as a reason.

Katejo

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 09:41:34 AM »

Hi Robotwars  This week i have managed to persuade my GP to let me try Vagifem for a trial period. I'd like to know whether you have had any problems at all with it. A Google search found me examples of women saying that it appeared to work at first but then they had side effects and dropped it. My GP seems to think that it should be used for a limited period and then have a break. I am sure that this isn't the case but need to find something to show her to support this.

Thanks   :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 10:06:38 AM »

I personally think Vagifem is better and irritates less than the creams. Ultimately, the local oestrogen should help the bladder to function better but for me I think I need to pee more often at night because when I lie down the kidneys and bladder work better because they under less pressure.
Do try Vagifem and use it regularly to ensure you get the most benefit.  DG x

robotwars

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 07:03:42 PM »

Hi Katejo, im so glad he is giving it to you, I have been on it for 2 years now with no problems at all. I hope it works for you too

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 07:05:52 PM »

Unofrtunately I too find this, I used to use estriol pessaries but they were discontinued so switched to Vagifem and I always get bladder irrtation and frequency for 24 hours or so after insertion (I use twice a week but daily for the week before my progesterone course starts).  I actually preferred the pessaries but using the creams is more of a faff - and also having to keep washing and re-using an applicator, so now prefer Vagifem even though I would like to continue to use estriol itself.  Overall though it is dealing with VA (in addition to systemic HRT) so I just put up with this temporary side effect. I have to get up once during the night after using it (normally not at all due to sleeping heavily).

Hurdity x

Katejo

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 12:45:36 PM »

Hi Katejo, im so glad he is giving it to you, I have been on it for 2 years now with no problems at all. I hope it works for you too
Actually a female GP but too young to need Vagifem herself. Have you ever needed an AB for a UTI since starting? I am going to get the vagifem from the pharmacy today. I have just missed a call from the GP so hope to speak to her later.

dahliagirl

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 01:20:04 PM »

Drinking plenty of water can help with bladder irritation.

If you have a day when you are not going anywhere, then keep some water by you and drink as much as you want, in between your usual tea breaks etc (not too much in the way of coffee or dark squashes etc).  It dilutes the urine and stretches the bladder all of which helps.  If you do this during the day, you should be able to get more in at night  ;) (This is what I learned from and enuresis nurse when I took my daughter to the clinic.  It has held me in good stead).

Katejo

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 06:17:41 PM »

Drinking plenty of water can help with bladder irritation.

If you have a day when you are not going anywhere, then keep some water by you and drink as much as you want, in between your usual tea breaks etc (not too much in the way of coffee or dark squashes etc).  It dilutes the urine and stretches the bladder all of which helps.  If you do this during the day, you should be able to get more in at night  ;) (This is what I learned from and enuresis nurse when I took my daughter to the clinic.  It has held me in good stead).
   I know that it dilutes the urine but I haven't heard the idea of stretching the bladder. I have always been sceptical about the need to drink 2 litres and this article agrees with me. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/jul/13/myth-eight-glasses-water-day. However a pharmacist has just insisted to me that the 2 litre rule applies.
I do check the colour of the urine to make sure that it is light/straw coloured and drink more if it isn't. One thing which seems illogical to me is the claim that the sense of thirst means that we are already very dehydrated. We  say that we should only eat if we are hungry and not for the sake of it (to avoid putting on weight) so why should it be different for thirst?

dahliagirl

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 04:56:53 PM »

As I understand it the sense of thirst diminishes with age.  It is very strong when we are children.

That is why I tried keeping water with me, after a stay in hospital, to see how much I drank.  It kept vanishing  ;D