Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Medical MP, no HRT  (Read 1008 times)

Ella70

Medical MP, no HRT
« on: September 03, 2018, 02:29:25 PM »

Hi all

I'm new here, but have started experiencing menopause symptoms in January, since starting on Tamoxifen as part of breast cancer treatment.  As my cancer was hormonal, Tamoxifen is reducing the estrogen my body produces thus giving me an early menopause.  OK, maybe not that early - I'm 47 - but in my family the real MP usually starts after 50, around 52-53.

So, obviously I can't take HRT as the goal of the medication is to reduce the level of hormones in my body, to prevent cancer from recurring.  This means that I have to find alternative ways to cope with my symptoms.

1.  Hot flushes at night - waking me up and basically ruining my sleep and affecting my mood and concentration.  They seem to have reduced since I completely cut out alcohol (I only used to drink 2-3 units per week, if that), and almost all carbs.  Still a problem, though.

2.  Weight gain - I'd lost over 5 st on the ketogenic diet, and then got diagnosed with breast cancer.  Since starting Tamoxifen, the hormones have influenced my hunger so that it was difficult not to break the diet and overeat.  I put over 2 st back on within a few months of starting the medication, but more recently I was able to restart a keto diet by going through a gentle, less strict phase first.  I'm also trying to get more movement into my daily life.

3.  Mucosal irritation, leading to thrush and UTI symptoms - I stocked up on Canesten, Yes lube and cleanser, and D-Mannose.  I've also been following the "use it or lose it" mantra, and my partner's been happy to help!  ;)

I also have other, less annoying effects (for example, my period hasn't stopped, just stretched to every 3 months), but the above are the worst.  If anyone has other ideas and suggestions, I'd be very grateful!  In the meantime I'm going to read this forum, and hopefully participate.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Medical MP, no HRT
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »

:welcomemm:  There is another form of oestrogen suppressant I believe.  The one you are on almost killed me  :'( - my sense of smell was acute and it put me off my grub  :-\

How do you feel over-all?  Quality of Life is important.  Some ladies find that keeping a mood/food/symptom diary of use.

Browse round. No one warned me that I would experience menopausal symptoms so am so pleased that I was unable to tolerate it. 

As for UTI symptoms.  Get your Practice Nurse to send a fresh urine sample for testing, NOT a dip stick as that doesn't show much.  If the sample doesn't grow any bugs this could be the start of vaginal atrophy  >:( so do read those threads and get treatment.  There is little uptake by the body so it should not affect your diagnosis.

Ella70

Re: Medical MP, no HRT
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 08:16:58 PM »

Thanks, CLKD!  I can only wish that Tamoxifen would put me off my food - it makes me want to eat more and more often.  :(