Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Coming off HRT after a few years - any positive experiences?  (Read 3000 times)

Ali8

Coming off HRT after a few years - any positive experiences?
« on: August 17, 2018, 08:36:57 AM »

I'm 50 and after a few years of mild peri-menopausal symptoms, irregular light periods and difficulty sleeping, I started on Elleste Duet 2mg.

This helped but after two and half years I've decided to stop taking it as I was getting PMT like symptoms, sore boobs, headaches and my sleeping hadn't been brilliant. My bleeds were also getting very short, a plus.

I also know that because of the artificial hormone bleeds you don't know if you are post menopausal unless you stop taking sequential HRT.

So 31 days ago I stopped taking it and I feel great. I know I may be getting ahead of myself when it's been such a short time but I feel happy and relaxed and I'm also sleeping a lot better. I have no menopausal symptoms. Am I fooling myself thinking that I'm through to the other side and can relax now?

I know I can just stay on HRT if I'd like to, and I have nothing against medication in general, but I don't see the need to be on it if I'm feeling better without it. There is no history of osteoporosis in my family, they all tend to live long, healthy lives.

Has anyone had a good experience of coming off HRT after a few years, or did it start off well then go downhill, with symptoms reoccurring?

Tempest

Re: Coming off HRT after a few years - any positive experiences?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 08:43:48 AM »

Hi, Ali!

If you go to Dr. Newson's website, she says that any withdrawal symptoms such as hot flushes etc should only last a couple of weeks, so if you're at 31 days and nothing is happening then i'm guessing that you're happily out of the woods!

See how it goes - and hope for the best. Good luck! xxxx

Ali8

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 08:56:04 AM »

That sounds promising, thank you.   :) 

Is this her site?

https://menopausedoctor.co.uk/about-louise/

I shall have a good read through it.

SueLW

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 11:01:45 AM »

Yes that's her site.

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 01:13:42 PM »

I think it's early days but hopefully your symptoms might not return. My symptoms take around twelve weeks after stopping to reappear. It depends on how severe your symptoms were to begin with. My hot sweats were every twenty minutes day and night but I was 53 when I began HRT (64 now) so I was already probably further into meno than you are? Symptoms tend to worsen for the two years after periods stop so you won't really know until you find out whether you are still having natural periods.

Let us know how you get on.

Taz x 😊

Annie0710

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 01:26:31 PM »

Hi Ali

Only time will tell but as you only had mild Peri symptoms before hrt you sound like you could be one of the lucky ones !

Good luck x

Ali8

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 01:50:42 PM »

Thank you for your replies.

I guess I'll just need to be patient and see how it pans out.

My peri-menopausal symptoms were mild. It was just the poor sleep that took me to the Doctor, that and being under 50. My Dr is great, a near retirement aged man who is a big fan of HRT. He said I could stay on it for as long as I liked.

After reading up a bit more, and from what you say Taz2, I'm starting to realise that I may not get my first hot flush for a while yet. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen.

I have heard that post menopause women often feel more calm, without their cycling hormones, and I've been feeling really chilled.

Steffi

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 01:54:05 PM »

Hi Ali,I am peri and on HRT but I bought some ladycare magnets for friends having hot flushes and they worked for them!!! Maybe invest in one and wear it before you may need it :-)

Ali8

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 02:25:46 PM »

Well it's now been 3 months off HRT and all is well. No bleeds and no menopausal symptoms.
Fingers crossed it lasts and in another 9 months I can say that I have been through the menopause.
I've re-written this a few times and it still sounds like I'm boasting but I just wanted to give an update incase anyone was interested.

Droopeydrawers

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 02:59:34 PM »

Your not boasting ali8 it's just a good positive experience your sharing and lots of ladies will appreciate that.
Good luck in your journey xx D.D

Taz2

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 03:31:56 PM »

You're not boasting. It's lovely to hear you are doing well. It's always around the three month mark that my symptoms begin to return so fingers crossed for you. Are you using any topical oestrogen for VA?

Taz  :foryou:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 09:04:16 PM »

You boast away!  Enjoy the respite, eventually as it continues you will forget to look 4 anything else ;-)

Ali8

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2018, 07:54:35 AM »

You're not boasting. It's lovely to hear you are doing well. It's always around the three month mark that my symptoms begin to return so fingers crossed for you. Are you using any topical oestrogen for VA?

Taz  :foryou:

I'm not using anything at the moment and so far all is well.
I guess in time problems could start to creep in but I'm just going to wait and see how it goes.

RubyLove

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2018, 09:30:14 AM »

This is very encouraging Ali, thanks so much for posting and please keep us updated. I too have started HRT due to perimenopausal symptoms at the age of 46 and hope it will get me through to menopause. My mother had a terrible time for about 10 years (45-55) and received no treatment. Once she was through menopause, she was a new woman.

Charlie62

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2018, 10:14:20 AM »

Hi ali8
Thank you for your post. It was interesting to read as I'm in 2 minds whether to stop hrt too.  I was.on the contraceptive pill till the age of 55. Iv been on femoston conti for a year with hardly any physical symptoms. Starting getting frequent anxiety & worries so changed to everol patches. Only on day 3 but not felt great. I'm 56 next week & wondering whether to try without hrt and see how I go? It's all such a minefield but im glad to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel
Pages: [1] 2