Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Natural remedies  (Read 2148 times)

Jean Sedgwick

Natural remedies
« on: August 20, 2018, 08:10:31 AM »

Hi again, I don't intend taking hrt, I would rather take natural remedies, any suggestions, I am already taking black cohosh which is great for the hot sweats x

Taz2

Re: Natural remedies
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »

Info here from the menu at the top of the page for more ideas https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/remedies.php

Taz x  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 09:21:29 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM Jean Sedgwick
Coping with menopause symptoms naturally is about adjusting diet and lifestyle.  So called ‘Natural remedies' are still essentially drugs so do be careful as many things like Black Cohash can have negative effects if taken for any length of time. I have tried so many alternative remedies, spent a fortune, with little effect - HRT is the only natural supplement that will truly give relief from flushes and night sweats.  I am now 62 and had a premature menopause so had to have HRT for many years to protect my heart and bones. I stopped HRT 2 years ago and menopause symptoms are still with me despite every strategy there is - I took a break from HRT in my early 50s and lost 3 years of my life as the flushes etc didn't subside and I doubt whether they will ever truly subside for me.   WE are all different and you may be lucky and have only 2-5 years of symptoms and they may not be that severe.
I do find that Red Clover supplements help a bit with flushes.

The menopause is a ‘natural' process we all have to go through but nobody can tell you how long meno symptoms will last or even if flushes etc will ever subside!  In the past you were lucky to get to the age of menopause, so it wasn't a problem, but now we have to work and cope with far more for many years well into post menopause and if flushes, night sweats and lack of sleep make life difficult then there is effective and safe treatment on offer and it is not a weakness to at least try HRT if you wish to.  Having said this, using HRT is a personal choice and it doesn't suit everyone.   My best advice would be to read up all the info on this site, look at the treatment options(including alternative remedies) and decide on how you wish to handle you menopause symptoms based on the facts rather than taking any notice of the scare stories or other peoples views.

My current strategies:  I eat small highly nutritious meals regularly throughout the day, cutting out as much sugar as possible, as this can prevent blood sugar levels dropping and this helps to reduce mood swings. Lots of brisk walking. Lots of Mindful meditation and breathing exercises. I take Red Clover, Omega 3 oils, Vitamin D, magnesium and B12 supplements. IF you are peri meno, then the fluctuations in hormone levels can give the impression that alternative remedies are working - save your money and take a lovely holiday instead of spending a fortune on remedies that offer a short term placebo effect.
Keep us posted on you progress and keep asking us questions - we are here to support you.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »

Everything that happens to our bodies is natural other than abuse of alcohol/drugs ......... however, many natural conditions can cause horrid symptoms, I had PAINFUL heavy periods for years  :'( until I went on The Pill at 17.  Thank good that I have had a better menopause!

Do read round.  Make notes.  Some ladies find keeping a mood/food/symptom diary useful.  Also noting when your last period was.  HRT is useful to treat vaginal atrophy, do check out those threads.  Forearmed is forewarned ;-).  The HRT used for this is different to taking a pill or using a patch.

Think which symptom you would like to ease first.  As oestrogen levels drop so the body may become dry: inside and out  :o including deep in the ears, eyes, skin, vagina, scalp; as well as muscles may become lax = aches and pains when an over the counter pain relief can help.

Ask away!

Roseneath

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 04:02:03 PM »

Hi Jean. I have been in Peri for 2-3 years now, it is a rollercoaster minefield for sure and hard to find consistent approaches or opinions. I have made good use of the GP ' call back' system to check things out. I would be wary of taking supplements (other than Multi vits or low level  iron / vit D if you need it. I bought some Menopace thinking it would cure all my minor ills but after taking it for 3 months I have a basic blood test and my liver enzymes were slightly elevated. The GP told me he thought it could be the Menopace. I stopped for just 2 weeks and the liver results were fine.  It could have been something else but do be careful of Internet bought things. It is good to have a GP you could at least call to check to reduce the worry. I also had weird what I thought was heart beat skips / electrical twinges in my hands. GP said anxiety but agreed to do an ECG - all was fine. So don't be worried about getting checked out.