Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: HRT & (new) Acne  (Read 4815 times)

Figgypudding

HRT & (new) Acne
« on: August 13, 2018, 09:34:12 PM »

Hi, looking for some advice  ::)
I've never  been spotty in my life & now, at the ripe old age of 49, I'm on my 2nd month of horrible spots along my jaw line  They are quite sore & itchy, the type that weep a bit to form a crust (nice!) but don't really have a head.
I've read that the HRT hormones can cause this, the rush of hormones similar to puberty.
Femoston was my first HRT, which I was on for 5 mths, then I went to a Menopause clinic & got gels. The dosage was quite high at 4 pumps a day & 200mg Utrogestan 14 days a mth. I was given 3 mths of this & although all fine, found the 4 pumps of gel a bit of a faff. I was also have a pea size amount of testosterone most days.
At some stage in July I ran out of the gel & because I was going back to the clinic )& my go a bit fussy with my prescription) I thought I'd use my last mth of femoston. Randomly I came out in horrible painful spots, I did think I'd been bitten. Immediately stopped the testosterone, had my clinic appointment, who said if 2 pumps a day of oestrogen was working  for me that's fine, continue with the 14 days of Utrogestan & here's more testosterone.
Spots took almost 4 weeks to go & then less than a week after my gel & Utrogestan, I've got spots again
I feel like I want to scratch my face off. They've popped up in the same place but not quite as bad & I'm trying not to touch them.
Can anyone advise what best to do? I'm keeping my sysmptons at bay but I'm not sure I want to put up with itchy zits for 3 weeks a mth.
Thanks

Dancinggirl

Re: HRT & (new) Acne
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 08:57:57 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM

I got an awful rash around my jawline with Utrogestan!!!  If you look at the leaflet for Utrogestan , it does give rashes as one of the side effects.  Testosterone is also more likely to trigger spots!!!
I really didn't get on with Utrogestan at all - many women love it but I have tried virtually every treatment there is and Utrogestan was my worst experience. Did you get spots with Femoston the first time you used it? What didn't you like about Femoston? I suspect chopping and changing your hormone treatment would trigger skin reactions as well.
If you can control your flushes with 2 pumps of gel per day, then I would stick with this as it is the average dose.

I would suggest you stick with Oestrogel - and just 2 pumps per day - and perhaps try Provera for the progesterone instead? Look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page to get all the options.
The best HRT regime I had was the Mirena with Oestrogel - so this may be worth considering.
I think progesterone is the hormone that can cause spots, so the Mirena can be good as less is absorbed systemically and it is a low consistent dose so fewer fluctuations.
I would try a different progesterone like Provera first(cut out testosterone) to see if this is better. DG x

Figgypudding

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 01:10:38 AM »

Oh that's great, thank you for answering. I never thought to read the side effects, yes it's all around my jawline. I didn't get it the first time around those & this mtgs batch is slightly better.

Will look at the other progrestrtone you recommended. Do you think I could try 12 days instead of 10 & do you think it matters if taken at the beginning or end of the month? Thanks  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 09:02:53 AM »

I think if you are sensitive to Utrogestan then it won't matter whether you reduce the number of days you use it or even when you use it. It's not a good idea to reduce the days as you may find you get erratic bleeding as a result - those ladies who do fewer days on progesterone have regular scans privately.

Try a different progesterone and see what happens. Dg x

Figgypudding

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 06:05:19 PM »

Hi, sorry for the delay in my reply.

I meant to write 12 days instead of 14 days (as per some guidance I read in an earlier thread)
I'm on holiday next week too so although I should have stated the Utrogestan last night I'm going to move it forward until the 1st of each month.
I don't have any breakthrough bleeding but I do find my period starts on around day 7 if the Utrogestan, not after I've finished the course.
Is this how it's supposed to be?
Thanks