Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: mirena removal  (Read 749 times)

jessieblue

mirena removal
« on: August 13, 2018, 01:59:28 PM »

Hi Ladies, today I had my 7.5 year old mirena coil removed.  Hopefully it might help with my recent infections/inflammation but that may be wishful thinking......I wonder if it is still giving off pregesterone as there seem to be mixed reports on this.  My gyn had siad it could just stay in there indefinitely and will do no harm but my gp said its a foreign body and if you are getting lots of infections it may be because the plastic strings are harbouring bugs that are unaffected by the systemic antiniotics and flucanazole.  I guess that makes sense, so its been taken out now and Im hoping I dont get complications from this.  Does anyone have experience?  I shouldnt expect to see any bleeding should I as I was told I was post meno by blood tests 2 years ago.

Conolly

Re: mirena removal
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 02:59:45 PM »

Hello jessiblue,

I can't help you regarding Mirena, but I'm sure there are many ladies who can and will answer soon. Just wanted to say that I agree with your GP. I'm glad it has been taken out.
Do you take oestrogen? If yes, than I guess you need another type of progesterone/progestogen. Hope you can get rid of inflammation/infection soon!
Conolly X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 03:17:04 PM »

Jessieblue - it was sensible to have this old Mirena removed.
You may get bleeding if you are still peri meno.
The Mirena can cause infections but this is rare but it a good idea to use local oestrogen and vaginal moisturusers to maintain a healthy flora balance which will help fight thrush and BV.
Don't keep using thrush treatments or antibiotics as these could make things worse.
I find using Multi Gyn Actigel really helps to restore the vaginal flora if I feel itchy, sore or have burning.
DG x

jessieblue

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 09:56:24 PM »

Thankyou you are right DG I think the thrush treatments following the antibiotics made me much worse so am just letting things settle using YES VM and sitz baths with dead sea salts and coconut oil.  This is very soothing.  I used some bicarb but will leave that now unless I get more pain and soreness and just stick with the salts and coconut oil for now.  Vagifem is on standby to try as soon as things are settled.  I am well post meno I think, had blood test 2 years ago whch said I was so Im hopng not to get bleeding as this would be a worry.  I am not sure if I need progesterone.....would I need it if I only use vaginal oestrogen? I have also read that testosterone can be helpful?  No one has mentioned this to me yet.

Tinkerbell

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 11:35:49 PM »

You do not need progesterone if you are using topical estrogen such as Vagifem.

CarryWarry

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 07:42:52 AM »

You may get some spotting so don't be alarmed or you may get nothing as you're post meno.  I think you are very wise to remove it now.  I've never had one longer than 5 years and I'm an old hand with Mirenas.  ;D