Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Peri & HRT....  (Read 1042 times)

alibeau

Peri & HRT....
« on: August 10, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »

Hi Ladies,

I have a long awaited appointment with my preferred GP on Monday and am intending to go down the HRT route after suffering with terrible hot flushes intermittently for the past year, my latest 'bout' have lasted almost 3 months.  They are decreasing at the moment in frequency and intensity but I cannot go through this again as at their worst the flushes are on the hour, every hour, can't sleep, horrible...

My question is this,  I am Peri and I guess my hormone levels are fluctuating and I feel as though I am heading back to a period of 'normality' with my cycles (I tend to have a couple of 'normal' cycles and then a gap of two or three months where I have no period but suffer with terrible flushes and then back to monthly flush free cycles and so on).

So as I say I feel that my flushes are decreasing at the moment and I have some cramping and CM which leads me to believe my period is on its was and I *may* return to 'normal' cycles for a short spell, so is this the best time to start HRT or would I be better off waiting until the flushes return next time (providing my prediction of them going away this time proves to be correct)....

How does HRT work for Peri ladies in terms of if your hormone levels are still fluctuating and HRT supplements them when they are low, what happens if your own hormone levels increase again?  Does HRT just balance them out somehow?

Also I am a bit wary of telling the GP my flushes are decreasing for fear of her saying again to leave HRT for now and wait and see as it is so difficult to get an appointment quickly... and I really can't face another prolonged period of flushes in the future...

Sorry for the rambling and hope my post doesn't make my appear like a bumbling idiot!!!!  ;)  I would just like to be as clued up as I can be for my appointment on Monday.

Thank you.

Ali x

Dancinggirl

Re: Peri & HRT....
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 11:16:47 AM »

Hi alibeau

There is a very good article that explains about the peri stage: https://www.menopausematters.co.uk/magazine/pdf/Article%20-%20Perils%20of%20the%20Perimenopause.pdf
How old are you?
HRT can certainly help balance the hormones through the peri stage but I would suggest you start on a low dose and it may take some time for the HRT to take control.  You may experience some surges and ups and downs at first while your own hormones are fluctuating but as you have noticed an increase of flushes in recent months this may indicate you getting closer to post meno.   I wouldn't mention that the flushes are not so bad at the moment - the doctors don't need to know this - it's the symptoms you have been getting over the last year or so that should be the basis for a diagnosis and for HRT to be prescribed.  If meno symptoms are interfering with you work and life generally then HRt can really help.
I always suggest Femoston 1/10 (a sequential HRT that gives a monthly bleed) as good starting point - popping a pill each day is so simple but many ladies, who struggle with the standard HRT types, like to move to the separate oestrogen and progesterone regimes that offer more flexibility and control but these can be a hassle and GPs are rarely clued up about these.

Do print off the peri meno TREATMENT section to show the GP, as they usually prescribe Elleste (because it's the cheapest) but Femoston 1/10 has the kinder progesterone.
Keep us posted. Dg x

alibeau

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »

Thank you so much DG, I really appreciate your reply.

I am 46.  Luckily I work from home and so I have been able to 'cope' with the flushes, I don't know how I would have got on if I had to go to a work place each day....

The lack of sleep has also been bad news but again I have managed...

I have also managed to keep a brave face on and a positive outlook too, this has absolutely been boosted by the fact that gaining information from this forum makes me feel like I have some control over the path I end up taking....

Also having just returned from a family holiday, I feel as though my Hubby and Children (two daughters aged 14 & 12) have a much better understanding of what I am going through and have been a great support to me..... even though they did take the mickey each time I stood in front of the freezer, door open, portable hand fan on!

Thanks again, I have printed off the info you suggest and will have a good read later.

Ali x

Sgtvhilts

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 09:23:55 PM »

Hi,
Just been through the same sort of dilemma as you. In the end i thought bugg*r this and went for the hrt.
I have now been on femoston 1mg for 4 months (had elleste to start with-yuck, gp=cheapskate)
Imhave to say it was the best decision. I weighed up all the pro n cons and figured that at this moment- age 48- quality was more important than quantity ( i might change my mind on that someday!)
Within 3 days !! My head and anxiety started to clear , the flushes and nightsweats calmed down about 3 weeks after that.
At the moment i am having the odd nightsweat and starting to get that lazy/can't be bothered feeling again, so i am considering upping the dose, but i was the best move for me for sure

alibeau

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 09:13:52 AM »

Just a little update from me....

Saw the GP and she has prescribed Femoston 1/10 for me.....

My flushes have lessened over the past few days and I feel that my period is due soon (I am on day 80 of my cycle) so i am going to wait until it arrives and will then start on the Femoston on day 1 of my new cycle.  Over the past year I have had four or more bouts of hot flushes, the most recent bout being the most severe and prolonged (around 10 weeks) so although I am feeling a bit better at the moment I really can't risk them returning as I'm sure they will....

I am keeping everything crossed that Femoston works for me.  I start to worry a bit reading posts on here but there must be thousands of women who take it without any problems so I am hoping I will be one of them.....

Keep you fingers crossed for me? Please?  ;)

Ali x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 10:11:42 AM »

Hope it goes well for you :) DG x