Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 75 out now. (Spring issue, March 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Have I been prescribed wrong HRT?  (Read 2764 times)

sheila99

Re: Have I been prescribed wrong HRT?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 09:52:43 AM »

In your original post you say your last period was a few weeks ago so you wll be in peri and are not yet in menopause. The conti patient information states it is for women who have not had a bleed for at least a year (menopause not peri). Personally I wouldn't go against the manufacturer's instructions as it will have been tested and licenced only for the stated group. Why are you so against everol sequi which is designed for women in peri? I don't know the consequences of using the wrong one but I would guess at a build up of the womb lining. If you do carry on with conti perhaps it would be wise to have the thickness of the lining checked periodically. Using sequi has the advantage that you will know if the progesterone in it doesn't agree with you as you will only be on it for 2 weeks.

pebbles

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 09:22:55 AM »

thank you everyone. I am not against using sequi it is just that it is so do difficult to get to see a gp ! In addition it was difficult to get hrt in the first place as she said that it was not effective with low mood/anxiety etc which are my main symptoms. I lack confidence in questioning their decision but I told her that the flushes were disturbing my sleep which is not true so that she would prescribe it ....
I have started to have problems with the conti in that I have been bleeding heavily for three days and I feel quite jittery (almost like I have had too much caffeine when i havnt !).
I am under so much stress just now that the thought of contacting my gp just fills me with dread. I have also been awake all night with anxiety, worrying about work again and just feeling I cant cope.
starting to think that it is not worth being on anything! initially I did seem to feel better but so cant tell what is going on. I am so tired of being so unbalanced. I look forward to the weekend but just sitting here like a zombie with no motivation to do anything. should I take the conti patch off? I am just so confused i dont know what to do.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 10:48:30 AM »

pebbles - what a shame you weren't given a sequential HRT.  I suspect the conti HRT is causing the heavy bleeding( it often happens even if one is very post menopause) but if you are peri meno then bleeding is more likely. Using progesterone all the time is also not easy to cope with for many women. 
If anxiety and low mood are your only meno symptom and these have only happened since the menopause started (so you didn't used to suffer with anxiety and low mood before), then at this stage I would stop the HRT and let things settle - you can do without the erratic bleeding for a start, as this just adds to your problems.

It seems to me as though you need help to cope with all the stress going on - I know how overwhelming things can get and frankly one has to just draw a line, ask for help and if the help isn't forthcoming then just say NO to anything you find too much and isn't essential.  So many women are used to looking after everyone else, taking the strain and if you have to work as well, then 'something has to give'.
It's not easy but paring down your life and only doing what is absolutely necessary can be a very good thing - don't jump to help others - put yourself first. 
Do you have a friend you can talk to? Could she go to see the doctor with you? Does your husband support you well and LISTEN? If you do see the doctor again, write everything down and take print outs from this site so you get what you want.
Have you tried Mindfulness or relaxation techniques?
HRT doesn't fix everything and whilst it can help with anxiety and low mood, HRT is just part of a range of strategies that will take you forward.
Do try reading the book my GP recommended as I found it very helpful:
Mindfulness: A practical guide to finding peace in a frantic world
by Mark Williams and Dr Danny Penman

DG x

sheila99

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 07:12:31 PM »

Your GP is in the wrong here, she has prescribed the wrong HRT as you are in peri not meno. My GP did the same but was VERY quick to rectify it when it was pointed out, I'm sure they know how much trouble they could be in if you chose to report it. You don't need to see your GP again for her to correct her mistake. If reception won't help then ask to speak to the practice manager and explain the situation to her. Tell them you want a prescription suitable for someone in peri which would be a sequi HRT. My symptoms were similar to yours and HRT has made such a difference to me. I know it's hard to make a fuss when your mood is low and you can't be bothered with anything but it really is worth persevering. And if you feel brave enough tell her she is the doctor and ought to know more about than you do, and perhaps she could do with some training!

pebbles

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 08:14:13 PM »

thank you Sheila
Pages: 1 [2]